Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurarobichaud

Taking a cactus on vacation.

Laura Robichaud
10 years ago

I'm going to our cabin in Vermont next week. I'm going to take this guy with me so I don't miss the blooms. :)

Comments (22)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

That's luggage like I like it. The power of personal flower power. And Saracen-inspired arches on the pot? Pull me down, please.

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 11:02

• chrisware
    10 years ago

I don't blame ya. That's a beautiful specimen... Enjoy

• notolover
    10 years ago

Luckily it's small enough to take along easily. I would want to take it with me as well :-)

We'll be waiting for pics.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Yes! Share your beauties with us when they bloom! Going on vacation when lots of my wards were about to bloom...that was pure torture!

• reggie
    10 years ago

Whew.. I'm glad I'm not the only one that takes plants with them on vacation. Last year I did that with my avonia. Totally worth it! This year I might just have a car full. Doesn't take much to fill the MINI. :-)
    Enjoy your time in Vermont and please do share your flower power with us as well.

• Laura Robichaud
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's like you all understand me and DON'T think I'm a crackpot. People who aren't plant people just don't understand...

Would you guys ID this as gymnocalycium mesopotamicum?

I never saw the artwork in the pot before. HD special. :)

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Of COURSE we understand...we are NUTS, just like you!! =)

I believe the ID is correct. If it blooms white, that will confirm.

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

I take some plants to work on the days they bloom. Coworkers think I am bringing them flowers (most coworkers are female), but it is simply because if I leave them home, the flowers are closed by the time I get back. None are on here, so they'll never know.

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

The only people who understand plant people, are other plant people. I found THAT out the hard way, being married for too many years to someone who was not a plant people. "Throw that 20 year old Easter cactus away, so what if it belonged to your grandmother!"

Christopher

• 100mphtortoise
    10 years ago

I know exactly what your talking about kaktuskris my wifes not plant people either, she doesn't understand me with my plant talk. I have got about twenty cactus, she thinks ive got a desert and she won't let me get anymore, lol.

• 100mphtortoise
    10 years ago

I know exactly what your talking about kaktuskris my wifes not plant people either, she doesn't understand me with my plant talk. I have got about twenty cactus, she thinks ive got a desert and she won't let me get anymore, lol.

• teisa
    10 years ago

I would take it!! But I had to show my husband that I wasn't the only crazy plant person out there! He was for sure I was the only one. Nope :)

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Make sure it wears its seat belt and no arms out the window when in the car! LOL I have missed some great shots this year due to work. I totally understand. Paula

I need to retire.

• Laura Robichaud
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Came back from a hike to find it had bloomed!

• notolover
    10 years ago

Gorgeous--and I'm sure well worth the extra care it took to take it along!

Is it enjoying the trip? I almost always buy cacti when I travel to So Cal: they usually enjoy an oceanview room and then a short stay at the Disney Resort. Alas, that's the last travelling they will get to do before coming to such a different, harsh environment. Although they do spend their summer vacation outdoors in the back yard :-)

It's a good thing they can't remember living in such a wonderful climate and most are happy to flower for me anyway.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

OooEee, they are beautiful, Laura! They're happy you took them on vacation! I'd say your ID is right on the money. =) Enjoy the rest of your vacay!

• lme5573
    10 years ago

What beautiful blossoms! I've never taken a plant on vacation, but then I've never had a cactus that beautiful, either. Congratulations!
    Lennie

• avery09
    10 years ago

amazing

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Just UBER wonderful!!!!

• qsis
    10 years ago

Boy, Laura, I thought your plant was beautiful BEFORE it bloomed!

How spectacular!

Lee

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

So Laura, does this now mean you have more room in your luggage for plants you find on your trip?

• Laura Robichaud
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We have a cabin in Vermont. I transported this guy in the cup holder of my Jeep. I had to also keep vigil to make sure my dachshund didn't snack on the blooms. We have a southwest facing deck here where I have a few of my little C&S friends summering. I think the gymno is going back to Mass with me tomorrow.
    I have to say that I was surprised by the red in the white blooms.

No new acquisitions on this trip. I'm actually thinking of wintering some of the cacti up here in front of the SW facing slider. We're up every weekend and the heat is set to 55 during the week.

Thanks so much for the nice comments. It means a lot coming from you guys!