Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

What is this???

jane__ny
10 years ago

Amazing flower, only lasted one day. As big as a mans hand.

Comments (18)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Stapelia gigantea (for obvious reasons), pretty cool eh? Flies seem to like this flower a lot. I've seen pix of the bloom w/ fly's eggs on it.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

It is Stapelia gigantea.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Surprised it only lasted a day for you. Mine usually last 4 to 5 days and I even get the maggots crawling around!!!!!

• laura1
    10 years ago

I guess that zone has something to do with how long it lasts. Mine lasted 2 days and the 2nd day it was going down hill.

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Mine lasted several days as well and the flower was 13" across.Didn't smell as bad as people told me it would either.
    kathi

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

I find they stink more on warmer days.

{{gwi:562228}}

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info. I think I'll pass on this plant. Stinky, flies and maggots are not for me.

Jane

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

It's beautiful that is what it is...And by the way, good to see you! Hoping all is well

Mike

• senjanevada
    10 years ago

Jane_ny, I would be glad to adopt your plants. I'll take care the postage. Mine does not give me any bloom.

• wallydraigle
    10 years ago

"Thanks for the info. I think I'll pass on this plant. Stinky, flies and maggots are not for me. "

Look at it this way. The poor flies are lured into the flower by the promise of tasty carrion for their babies. The smell is so luscious and irresistible that the flies lay their eggs there without question. The baby flies arrive into the world, and then... there's not actually anything there for them to eat. They wriggle about helplessly for a while but they were doomed from the start. Eventually they starve to death, or dessicate in the hot sun. In the end their shriveled remains drop into the soil and they become food for the Stapelia. The Stapelia despises flies and maggots just as much as you do, its options are just much more limited.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good one, Wally! I don't have the plant, and don't want it.

Senjane, I don't own the plant. I saw it at a friends garden and was offered a piece. I passed...

Jane

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Wally, if that isn't the best plea on behalf of maggoty plants, I'll go paint a wall. Bravo, sir.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I loved it too. LOL.

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

I do love the flowers on mine, though a different species. The odouriferousness is not that pronounced in my view, unless you stick your nose in the bloom, and I have never had maggots on my flowers.

Christopher

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

WOW Chris,yours is a beauty!!TFS
    Kathi

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Opulence in fringement is no vice, I've always said.

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Mine I believe is Stapelia gettleffii, by the way, not as enormous as S. gigantea, but five inch flowers are not bad.

Jeff, your witticisms never fail to impress.

Christopher.

• NeonCactus
    10 years ago

I have several huernias which are similar in bloom, but don't attract any of the flies or maggots. They have much smaller blooms, but I find them to be just as beautiful. Mine flowered for the first time, and silly me forgot to take a picture.

Might be an option for you jane_ny if you like these kinds of blooms though.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County