Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
feygraphica

Yellowing Jade Plant

feygraphica
11 years ago

I have a Jade plant, over 5-7 yrs old, that has always been indoors (I lived in New England). I have relocated to North Carolina, and the plant has been outside for at least 6-8 weeks. It got lots of a rain a few weeks ago, but I didn't worry as it's pot has a drain hole.

Hasn't had any water in at least 2 weeks, but have noticed for a couple of weeks that some leaves are yellowing and dropping off (see pic). It has put out TONS of new growth, and there are heavy, lower limbs I think I need to cut off. Is the yellowing part of the cycle with the new growth, etc or is there possibly something wrong? The soil is not wet and I haven not watered it in weeks (although it did get tons of rain at one point, as I mentioned).

Thanks for any opinions :)

Comments (17)

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

what pic?

• feygraphica
    Original Author
    11 years ago

maybe it didn't upload. will try here again.

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

i think it was overwatered. dont water it again until its leaves wrinkle. if the bottom of the stem becomes mushy it had root rot from too much water. in that case take stem cuttings and root them. toss the plant out after you do that

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

you just sighned up today. welcome to gardenweb. i been here foe little more than a month

• hexalm
    11 years ago

Hmm, I would be somewhat concerned about the plant getting a lot of rain, just because I assume ambient humidity is probably high there. But as TG mentions, the base of the stem will be soft if too much water/root rot is the problem, so I'd check that out.

What's the fertilizer regiment and soil it's in? How long has it been in the same soil? Yellowing leaves can indicate a mineral deficiency, which can be caused by lack of specific minerals, or by soil conditions preventing their uptake.

Someone more experienced than me can probably get you sorted out, but the more details we have, the better we can help :)

• feygraphica
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is either in a miracle grow potting soil or a cactus/succulent mix; most likely the potting soil. It hasn't been repotted in YEARS; I'm terrified of breaking it when I try to get it out of that pot (which I think is now too small?)

• elichka
    11 years ago

i would check the roots cause the mix looks very peaty to me.

The best it would be in a gritty mix or at least 50/50 cactus soil(not Miracle grow brand, Fafard is better, doesn't contain peat) and Perlite.

If roots developed some rot( look for brown slimy smelly roots) cut it w/sterile knife and sprinkle w/cinnamon. let them callus, air dry. jade doesn't need to be potted the same day

After repot do not water for several day

please do some search on this forum. its so many posts regarding the same problem you have.

Inna

• elichka
    11 years ago

dont be terrified to repot. it is easy. generally jades have very shallow root system especially if they are in a peaty mix. Once peat dries it is very hard to rewet. your roots kind of dye in peat

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Has it been hot?
    Jades will often drop leaves during the heat of Summer when they have received more moisture
    than they need. Even in my very coarse mix, my Jades will drop leaves if I water them too much
    during the heat when the plant has slowed its activity.

I would re-pot into a fast-draining mix, place the plants in partial shade, and water them after
    one week.

Josh

• stonesriver
    11 years ago

Can you tell me which Fafard mix doesn't contain peat?

Thanks,

Linda

• elichka
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry i meant BlackGold Cactus Mix. it combines 40-50% pumice, earthworm castings, compost, forest humus, bark. i still add large perlite about 30% and some times reptibark from Petco(consistent small size). It depends on a plant and size of a pot. i only use clay pots. My plants are outside from March to November. The water drains out immediately. I need it because NY is very humid in summer

Inna

• stonesriver
    11 years ago

Thanks, Inna. I couldn't find the exact ingredients for some of their products and thought maybe one of those was sans peat.

Linda

• feygraphica
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update: Base of Jade is NOT soft or squishy in any way. Maybe it's just reacting to getting tons of sun and all that growth. Hmmm.

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

Sounds good

• elichka
    11 years ago

It seems that you don't feel comfortable w/repotting. It's your decision. The only thing I want to mention that your jade would benefit greatly from reporting into fresh fast draining mix. Now it's a good time to repot. Again your decision

Inna

• feygraphica
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, regardless of it's current condition, I do agree that it needs to be repotted... it's been YEARS since it's had fresh soil. Probably could use a bigger pot, too. I'll get my Mom to help since it's so big and go forth with courage. I'll look for that cactus/succulent soil... maybe they have it at Lowe's.

• elichka
    11 years ago

Lowes has only Miracle Gro which most of us try to avoid because of peat. I found black gold in my local nursery. Before buying new pot check roots . As I mention before jades generally have very shallow root system. Considering that it was growing in not the fast draining mix I suspect that after you wash off old mix not that many valuable roots will be . If you don't mind post pictures. It's always fun.

Inna

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus