Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david90531

Kalanchoe tomentosa leaf broken off

DavidL.ca
9 years ago

Hi all, I am just wondering, when the leaf is broken in half on succulents, and in this case my panda plant, does the broken part heal and grow back, or not likely?
Also, what are the chances for panda plants to flower during this time of the year?

Comments (11)

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

The broken edge will callus over; the missing part of the leaf will not grow back.

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah I see, would it be a better idea to take that leaf off and try to propagate then? I heard kalanchoes are quite easy to propagate from leaves.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Yes, they easily propagate from leaves, here is a pic (sorry, not so clear) of one of the fallen leaves growing. I just 'beheaded' mine since it's terribly etiolated after this winter...after cut ends callus, I'll pot them up. I left the main stem in the pot, it has roots & hopefully it will grow some babies soon.

You said "the leaf is broken in half" - that will not grow back & not sure if it will sprout a new baby (the broken off part) - if you want new plant, just remove the whole leaf. You can leave it just sitting on top of the soil in the pot, it will grow roots soon.

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 15:14

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

I had. Broken leaf from a panda plant it was literally broken off towards the middle of the leaf and its sprouting babies as WE speak! - my panda plant is also about to flower any few day's now. On a previous post by jojo (fuzzy plants, or something to THAT name) i got a picture off mine putting OUT its flower stalk, i deleted the picture so can't post it here OR take NEW pics cause I'm working at the moment, but take a look of mine on that post if you'd like.

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

I had. Broken leaf from a panda plant it was literally broken off towards the middle of the leaf and its sprouting babies as WE speak! - my panda plant is also about to flower any few day's now. On a previous post by jojo (fuzzy plants, or something to THAT name) i got a picture off mine putting OUT its flower stalk, i deleted the picture so can't post it here OR take NEW pics cause I'm working at the moment, but take a look of mine on that post if you'd like.

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh another question, if I take the leaf off the stem or cut it from where it grows out, is it going to grow another leaf there?

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Depends, sometimes it will other times it won't.... i have some that do and others that don't....plant's are tricky like THAT sometimes! But then AGAIN I've had leaves dying at the bottom of the stem grow new plants before the leaf drops, and others growing NEW plant's right between the new leaves that are still healthy!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

David
    It will not grow a new leaf exactly in same spot where the old one was, it will leave a 'bump' on the stem (you can see some 'bumps' on the stem, where leaves fell off, in the photo I posted); but new leaves could grow anywhere on the stump - below, above or next to where previous leaf was. I think plant decides on that...
    If you keeping it inside over the winter & can keep outside in warm enough weather (like now), make sure you first put it in shadier spot & slowly move into more & more sun. It will grow more compact in full sun, have better coloration. Not sure if it will flower, I never had any blooms on mine (own it for abt. 5yrs.-I think they don't bloom that often, maybe in their natural habitat). If needs to be inside, put it in sunniest window you have available.

Can you post photo of your plant?

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 8:10

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

Sometimes a new branch will start where the leaf was removed/fell off. The likelihood of that happening varies depending on the type of succulent, perhaps depending on the time of year, and on other factors also.

(Please don't begin pulling off leaves hoping for new branches....)

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Here's a pic of mine about to bloom soon!

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Another pic