Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thothmer

So what do I do now?

ThothMer
10 years ago

May 28th brought with it some tornado activity, and I guess I should be glad I didn't have to deal with that here, but I did get a unpleasant first time experience for me. A hail storm. The largest one I saw was about the size of a ping pong ball, but the average was about an inch diameter. And unlike most hail that is very brief, this just went on and on, leaving a ground cover of about two inches that took quite a while to melt. Needless to say it was very obvious I couldn't step outside to grab any plants and save them. I know it's selfish of me, knowing surely other people experienced much worse than me as far as the wrath of the storm, but it's my little world here and it was a devastating experience to go out the next morning and see what had happened. Years of growing with care and love had suddenly been wiped away. Even worse, for many plants the real damage wasn't evident for weeks after, making it seem to be worse and worse as time went by.

So the next day was spent literally picking up the pieces in an effort to propagate anything that could be saved. It's been an ongoing process with not as much success as I'd like to have, but I'm doing what I can and coming to terms with the rest.

It gets very hot here in the summer, to the point of watering everyday, and each day during watering there is an assessment of this and that plant, looking at how well they are doing and isn't that branching mystery plant looking marvelous and the color on this is better and better and I wonder how much growth this one will do this season, and should I continue to leave this in this pot and on and on. It was sad for me to remember all of what I'd been thinking the day before as I was picking up fragments and seeing what had happened.

Anyway. Here I am now and initially I was thinking just wait and see. Obviously this or that will have to be cut back and salvage what you can and grow the cuttings. But how do I address the columnar and globular cacti? Do I leave them as is and see what happens? I loathe cutting/beheading any plant for any reason. I like natural growth processes and I'd rather have a plant do what it wants than to expect it to conform to my tastes. If I want a branching plant, I find one that branches naturally, rather than cut it to make it branch. If I want a red plant (I do) then I find a red one rather than stress the ones that are green when they are happy and only turn red when stressed. Sorry, I talk too much.

Most of the globular cacti have a rib or two of damage, a couple have large chunks out of the sides. None have died and I figure they will carry on and do their best to be globular... I guess.

Most of the columnar cacti were hit at the top (so convenient - actually it seems like almost all of the columnars I have were hit right at the tops) as well as some just got hit all over.

The epiphyllum is one of the old old plants for me. You can still see the little 2" pot it came in that I just set on the dirt in another pot and it decided to root through and take over. It didn't look so bad at first, but after a couple of weeks... well you can see what happened I guess. The tall Pilosocereus azureus got topped and hit in the side. I'm wondering how this will affect future growth. Will I need to chop the top off, or do I just wait and see? That's my assistant helping in the photos!

{{gwi:562688}}
Pachypodium lamerei topped and lost all of this season's leaves. No evidence of new growth at the top or lower down where it split to two tops two years ago. That second termination is still there, but it didn't do anything last year either.

{{gwi:562689}}
{{gwi:562691}}
Pilosocereus chrysacanthus? 9 ribs side and top damage.

{{gwi:562693}}
Little globular thingymabobby side damage with 3 new possible flower tufts showing it's defiance

{{gwi:562695}}
{{gwi:562697}}
Pilosocereus azureus 7 ribs 3 specimens damage to tops and sides, one severely.

{{gwi:562699}}
{{gwi:562702}}
Stenocereus pruinosus damage to 4 of 5 ribs at top and on one side.

{{gwi:562704}}
{{gwi:562706}}
{{gwi:562708}}
Pilosocereus azureus - 4/5 ribs, year 9. Three ribs damaged at top and side damage at year 4-5 and year 5 areas of column.

{{gwi:562710}}
Epiphyllum of some kind, still in it's tiny 2" pot! Still loved, but now referred to as Zombiephyllum.

{{gwi:562712}}
Branching Echeveria/Aeonium/Aichryson/Itwhomustnotbenamediae ???? Never have been able to figure out what it is. Very sad about this damage to it. It's just a scrap of what it was now and it will be years again before it gets even close to what it was like.

So what happens to these guys? What kind of growth and response can I expect from them now? Will a damaged rib area regrow further up the column, or will it just be the undamaged ones that grow, going from a 5 ribbed column to 2 or 3? And I expect that high winds on a high profile column may cause any new growth to break off where this damage may weaken the structural integrity of the plant, yes, no? Will most of these branch off instead? Anyone with any advice as to what to expect or what to do with my plant family, please share your thoughts. Any names or corrections on names are very welcomed also. Thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures at Photobucket.

This post was edited by ThothMer on Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 13:36

Comments (11)

• teisa
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I can't see the pictures.... Can anyone else?

• ThothMer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I didn't move or delete the images. I did take a lot of time making sure I got them on the post correctly though! I guess the best I can do is post the link to where they are below. Doesn't make my first post here look too great, does it!?!

EDIT: There. I think I fixed it! See, I didn't do anything wrong at all! I'm a computer genius!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures that should be in my post.

This post was edited by ThothMer on Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 13:38

• teisa
    10 years ago

I can't see the pictures.... Can anyone else?

• 0nametaken0
    10 years ago

Saw the pics in your last link, the rest dont work.

Ouch, that looks terrible. I hope those spots fade a way over time. As in the fresh white colour goes away. Atleast they survived!!!

• chrisware
    10 years ago

Wow!
    We had that happen last year but thank goodness it was small hail. Yours was horrible. At least with you epi you could cut back and have all new growth, but your biggies wil always have battle wounds.
    My hardy cacti bed was really torn apart after hurricane sandi last year.
    Yowsers,
    Chris

• ThothMer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for looking to Teisa, NameTaken, and Chrisware.

No NameTaken, they likely won't go away. The white is the dead epidermal layer (if that is the correct term for plants) that is like dried paper. On some, especially the epiphyllum, the entire soft tissue has died off so the internal skeletal/pithy part of the plant is exposed. I'm not expecting them to grow back since new growth occurs at the top. However I do have a couple that seem to get thicker very slowly over time so damage/holes seem to become smaller. Perhaps on some this will occur. I'm still thinking the ones that are damaged at the top have been extremely compromised. New growth will have to happen somehow, I just don't know how. Time will tell I guess.

Wow Chrisware. I guess I can only have a very small idea of what your experience must be like after the hurricane. My condolences. I've been trying to figure out some kind of plan for an emergency sheltering construction for any similar happening here in the future. Needless to say I've come up with nothing that I feel would be doable. Meanwhile, when the money presents itself, I'll be shopping for new younglings if they can be found. I think you deserve to go shopping too!
    Understood about the permanence of the damage. Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

And sorry again to everyone for the initial trouble getting the pictures to stay in the post.

• paul_
    10 years ago

Ouch! Yeah some of them got beaten pretty good. I'll let other advise you.

Thoth, I suspect the reason your pics did not show may have been the link you used. Did you use the HTML link? For old forums like this one, only the archaic HTML system will work. Here's two of your photos:

{{gwi:562699}}

{{gwi:562697}}

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Wow, that is unfortunate:( My condolences.

On the upside, you get to re-invent your collection and enjoy the process of hacking an renewing!

I'm not a real cactus guy but I would think the thing to do with your columnars is to hack right below the damage and let them push out some new growth. Hopefully, someone else will confirm this. It's the best time of year to do so. Make sure you fertilize them since summer is when they really need it. Your Aloe should renew itself by winter if not sooner.

• noki
    10 years ago

Is your dog looking at you wondering why on Earth are you "playing" with the boring plants instead of paying attention to the dog? My dog never understands.

If you can live with the damage on some, you can keep some. Others... time to get new cactus.

• ThothMer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Paul. I had used a code the first time around, and the preview showed everything was fine, but somehow it all got mixed up and lots of quotation marks were added. So back to Google I went and searched again for how to add multiple pictures to gardenweb and I found a person who posted here who made it much easier to understand. So yea for that! Thanks for your help very much.

Thank you Hanzrobo. I appreciate your empathy. And yes, I'm already looking for new additions to my collection. I actually found a pot of three tiny Pilosocerus azureus with 7 ribs yesterday! So aside from starting all over again, at least I have them. You may have picked up that I like blue plants, as well as any other amazing colors I can find. What is taking longer to get over is some of these plants survived a major relocation to a new environment with me, and the amount of time I'd had them prior to that as well. Tiny things that are now so much larger. I'll get by I'm sure, eventually.

What needs to be cut I'll wind up cutting if I have to. What I can leave alone and allow new growth to happen naturally I'll just watch.

And yeah, the Aloe is already getting along fine. Lots of other plants that aren't included in this post were affected. I lost a kalanchoe. Literally. I can't find any of the pieces or anything! Then a tiny bit turned up in a pot of cat nip seedlings. That's nice because it's one of the old friends of mine. Two other aloes were so pot-bound that you couldn't see the pot. One is almost untouched, one is almost just a pot now! And on and on.

A bright side is I'll have lots of tiny plants of the ones I can grow from pieces. A mystery cactus (possibly Mammillaria species?) I have that grows rather quickly has gone from one potted plant to three potted plants now with all the pieces I picked up and stuffed in some dirt. It looks very much like a Mammillaria elongatus, only the central spines are hook shaped. I kind of went crazy when it bloomed last year. After that it grew so much more, and it just comes apart so easily, obviously a clever way of propagating itself. I'm attempting to add a picture of it below. This page needs some niceness to look at I think.

Thanks very much for reading and adding your thoughts. I agree with you and have already started a moderate fertilizing process. Though I did recently read somewhere that a lower nitrogen fertilizer is better for cacti and succulents because too much nitrogen can cause them to retain too much water and get too soft. Maybe someone here has some thoughts on that as well.

{{gwi:562715}}

The garden is watered and sitting in their wet/dry outdoor sauna, and I'm huddled up to the air conditioner and thinking it's nap time now. I'll dream of happy plants with lot of amazing flowers!

{{gwi:562687}}

• notolover
    10 years ago

Everything is relative, isn't it? Even if you may not have had the damage of the tornados and can be grateful for that, you are still living the reality of what did happen to you.

Your poor plants, they truly look sad. I would be in tears. It looks like you have had those plants for a long time. Can't offer any advice, I just hope the best for you and that you can salvage as much as possible and keep the positive attitude you have.

Thank you for sharing the flowers :-)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor