Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bikerdoc5968

My Gift

I bought myself a gift... Some Dick Wright hybrids. I know they are small but with time they should develop and many with wonderful color and caruncles!!!!!

So what did I receive, you ask... or maybe not!

Back to front, left to right:

Virginia Lee, Carunkly, Bumps, Barbillion

Verrugas, Cupeno, Marjorie Pogue, Midway

Dick Wright, Dragonas, Lilac Frost, Culibra, Boton, Doublette

Comments (32)

• hijole
    9 years ago

Good morning Doc,

The good thing about buying our own gifts is that we feel like we really deserving of them I mean after all look at all the stuff we do around the house HEY! it's about time I spend some money on myself Lol..

I can hear myself saying that :) Nice variety you picked.

Greg

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Beautiful!!!
    I would love some of his hybrids someday!

• chuy415
    9 years ago

nice!! very nice and healthy looking too :)

Chuy

• Laura Robichaud
    9 years ago

I would love to send you a gift but I think everything I have would be too pedestrian for your wonderful collection.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Laura, none of your treasured plants are "pedestrian". They are your pride and joy and are every bit as wonderful as anyone else on GW. Never forget this!

Thanks to all... and keep posted because Mr. Wright has some things waiting to be purchased.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Howard,
    That was very kind of you (I was just reading your message to Laura). I always enjoy reading your messages, you seem like a down to earth kinda guy. :) Sometimes I think I find myself looking at my plants, logging into GW, and checking out other folks' plants and sigh, but your statement to Laura indirectly made me feel better about my collection. Thanks.

Planto

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beth, thanks. You made me feel good, too. And it isn't that I don't look at other's plants and ask myself, "Why not me?" or "How come I can't grow it like they do?" Then I come back to earth and realize, I do the best I can and because there are folks out there that do a better job than I do, that they can assist all of us in doing a better job!

BTW, if you think these "seedlings" look good, you should see what the adult plants look like!!!!!!! Dick Wright is most certainly one of a kind. And he's 85 years young and does all his own work and is GREAT at getting back to you when you have questions!!!!!

• Laura Robichaud
    9 years ago

Thanks Howard! It's so nice to be here with others that feel the same way I do about growing things. Sometimes people see my collection and give me the "are you a crackpot or what?" look. Who needs 100+ C&S. Hmmmm

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Hi Laura,

Surely you jest -- must be just us crazy plant nuts.

When you posted your pix on the Traveling Cactus Shades thread, I remember thinking what lovelies you had on your deck (& like RoRo I think it was) I marveled at how neat & tidy they all were. I thought, there's something to aspire to. Handsome looking plants all neat & seemingly organized. Hats off you.

Howard, your stuff always looks good from here. Happy you could gift yourself some things, always nice when one can do that. That Haworthia I'd admired of yours some time back, that you generously shared, still plugs along (tho' the remaining Echs got leggy).

Good growing, Happy Plants & Happy almost Summer to All!

(PG) Karen

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Howard,
    Sure thing. I'm glad to hear I made you feel good too. :)

That's very true, we all do the best that we can and there will always be someone who has more time, experience, or better conditions. I think in the end the important thing to remember is that even in nature, they're not perfect looking (I am a bit of a perfectionist and have to remind myself this often).

Do you have any pictures of the adults, or just the seedlings? Mr. Wright sounds like a good man!

Laura,
    Who doesn't need 100 C&S? :D

Planto

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beth, I do have some pics but they aren't mine; they are Dick Wright's. I don't want to upload to Photobucket and can't post multiple pics here...

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is another...

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And one more...

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Howard,
    Wow, you weren't kidding, those are amazing! I especially like the last one (E. verrugas).

Planto

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    9 years ago

Howard,
    Great plants!!! Like the others, you have the best plants.
    You are going to need a bigger greenhouse come winter.
    Sharon

• seedmoney
    9 years ago

Howard!
    OMG...you have discovered the holy grail.
    Does Mr. Wright sell his plants by mail or did you fly out to get those puppies?
    Me loves a good carbuncle on an echeveria...
    Julie

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gee, Sharon, I thought you volunteered your living room, no????

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Julie, he has an eBay store. So if you are at the right place at the right time you might just get the Wright plant!

• seedmoney
    9 years ago

Kindly divulge the name of his store, please? I got some mad money and it needs a new home ;-)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wrightnursery760

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

seedmoney,
    I like that 'I got some mad money and it needs a new home'. Why that's my problem also.
    Howard,
    Great as allways.
    Stush

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

That last one is mouthwatering!!!!!

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Nice passel of plants. Like the frilly Bumps. I'm not familiar with Dick Wright - am looking up as I type. The name Verrugas makes me chuckle. It does look like that condition, but in a spectacular way.

Agreed Bikerdoc! That's why I like this forum! Everyone's got the right attitude and community sense. I appreciate when folks take the time to respond to my newbie questions. I was encouraged by your experience and that of a few others that helped me adjust to my pale haworthia plant loss and to try again with new information. And, if I can help from my own experience in other things, I'm most happy to jump in and offer help.
    Laura, " Who needs 100+ C&S?" I ask myself that question often, esp. after this months mealy bug triage of uplifting and cleaning and spraying all the succulents and cactus, scrubbing potsâ¦.but, then one lil cactus blooms and I melt all over again and go the extra mile for my garden inhabitants. Discovered a bunch of leaves that fell off something I moved and every leaf has tiny baby plants. Mentally screaming "I don't have room!" while I hunt for pots to put all of them inâ¦..I really understand that there is a love for growing things and seeing them flourish is the reward enough for those attuned to this hobby. S'why I enjoy this like-minded garden forum. :]
    Planto, You've got a lovely lil collection. One day when you have a bigger space, I'll send you some collection "gap fillers"! Think of it as some of your plants are growing in my yard. ;]

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

FYI: Mr Wright has a new eBay listing and in addition to the Echeveria, there are some Aloe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wright Nursery

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 13:16

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    9 years ago

Howard,
    Are the plants fast growers? From your plant size to full grown,how long of a time are we talking? There were some I think I will bid on, full grown ones were great! Also,no to my living room for winter storage.
    Sharon

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sharon, they aren't going to win any races. So don't hold your breath... not conducive to good health! In the picture, both plants were recently beheaded. The larger one is my stock plant that has given up dozens of offsets over the years, of which the smaller one is such a plant. This is done to promote larger head development and get the caruncles to grow. The smaller on came from an old stem and has already developed caruncles. Some require years before they grow lots of frills or bumps or good color. Some of the ones in my picture have already begun developing caruncles while others will take some time.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I've fallen prey once again to Dick Wright's plants! If anyone is interested, I will show them once they arrive.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As promised, 17 more Dick Wright hybrids. I just finished potting them up and it will take some time for them to acclimate, as I received these as fresh cuts, i.e., NO ROOTS! They are small and it will be exciting to watch them develop into mature bumpy frilly Echeveria with lots of great colour!!!!!!

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 9:01

• mingtea
    9 years ago

About 2006 or so I found a carunculated Echeveria with wavy red edges at one of the big box stores... Probably 'mauna loa,' it was a great find and lasted for years.
    But it's far more satisfying to know what you're buying and have them lined up in a flat like that! Nice haul!

-Ming

• camellia1_gw
    9 years ago

How exciting! You always have some cool plants! t's going to be fun watching them grow and seeing you post pics.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, to all for your comments. Nice to have the support.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yet more additions to my growing Echeveria. Clockwise: E. 'Virginia Lee', E. 'Culibra', E. 'Can Can', E. 'Mexican Hat' and E. 'Speed Bumps'.

I hope by next summer 'Virginia Lee' and 'Can Can' get some character and grow their caruncles!!!!