Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vampira53

My Sempervivum has water 'blisters'?

vampira53
10 years ago

Ive been growing a variety of Sempervivum for a while now in my sunroom, and while Ive suffered a variety of issues over the years with them (killing the first few with too much water, aphid infestation, etc.) Ive pretty much got the hang of them and they are living happily and healthily.

I bought a new one about 6 months ago (the variety is 'Bronco') from the botanical gardens, and it was doing just fine until the other day when it started to spontaneously die. Some of the babies turned wilted and mushy, and eventually the mother did also. Even the healthy leaves when you touch tend to just fall off. This would suggest overwatering, but I only water them about once every 3 weeks (the same watering schedule as my other pots of Semps) and the other ones are doing just fine, as was this one until very recently. The soil is completely dried out between waterings, and they have excellent drainage and are in porous terracotta pots.

I managed to remove the dying ones and transplant the babies that were still alive, without watering. The really strange symptom of their ailment started today, when I noticed that one of remaining babies has 'blisters' on its leaves. They are clear pockets filled with condensation. I have never seen this on any Semp before, and even a rather extensive google search couldnt come up with anything related to this condition.

I included a picture of the blistered one, with the areas circled.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong with them, or if there is any way to save them?

Comments (8)

• laura1
    10 years ago

so sorry to say this: they are dying too/rotting.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

I have never seen blisters like that. :( Sorry I can't help.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

How are you so sure Laura? I haven't seen this before either & don't see where you're seeing rot.

• brodyjames_gw
    10 years ago

Hi vampira,

This might be a reaction to being overwatered. The leaves swelling before bursting because they can't store any more water?
    I have to disagree with you about your semps (hens and chicks) being happy....see how they are stretched out? They're reaching for light. These are outdoor plants, meaning they don't do as well indoors as they could outdoors. If you moved your plants outdoors, any new chicks would grow as compact rosettes, the way they are supposed to look.

Nancy

• nil13
    10 years ago

I was thinking the same thing Nancy. They look extremely etiolated and starved for light.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Good advise given. I would like to add, Temp. Try a cooler location. They love bright light and cooler temps. Try watering with cold water from the bottom only when really dry. Maybe place a ice cube beside the plant instead of water. Don't let the ice toutch the plant. Just a guess. I lost a few semps myself. The others I got are doing fine.

• vampira53
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello everyone, thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

Nancy - I suppose I should have clarified that all of my semps are happy - except for this one (I included a picture of some of my other semps, most of which are finally starting to color up after the winter).

I know that these are quite leggy, they had been moved out of their normal sunny spot for about a week because I got nervous when all their leaves started falling off and they started to die (and the sun really is quite strong where I live). They were also kind of buried under the very large mother hen who is no longer there because she died, which is why the top is bushier and more compact than the bottom.

I can assure that under normal circumstances, they have plenty of light. I enjoy them as houseplants, and really am not able to put them outside even if I wanted to.

However, being leggy really isnt what I am concerned about, since the other issue is more pressing, and I am happy as long as these survive to make offsets later. I agree that the symptoms seem to be that of overwatering, but the plants were not overwatered. They hadnt received any water for over two weeks when they started to go downhill, and had never had a problem with how much water I gave them in the six months prior (nor do any of my other semps have water issues) So I am wondering.. why so sudden? One day they were fine, the next day they were dying. When I removed the chicks to transplant (the ones in the original photo) the soil they were in was bone dry.

Stush2049 - I would love to give them a cooler climate, Im sure they would be much happier (Ive actually burned a few by leaving them in the bright hot sun a little too long) but unfortunately its over 90 degrees right now, and nowhere in my home has air conditioning (Id like a cooler location for me and my semps both!)

• brodyjames_gw
    10 years ago

Sorry, but I stand by my answer until proven wrong.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Edema

This post was edited by brodyjames on Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 20:45