Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rina_

Haworthias - I am still confused

I have few pots of haws.

I planted few offsprings into smaller pots abt. yr ago. They look very different from original plant. They are in same soil, get same light (under light all winter), same watering, yet the color if different.
I thought the 'reddish' ones were dead, but there is some green in the centre of plants.

#1.Original plant:
{{gwi:563053}}

#2.Offsprings:
{{gwi:563056}}

{{gwi:563058}}
ID I have for above is haworthia retusa - is that correct?

The other one is much 'plumper' and rounder. 2 small plants. Hope the pics show enough of them. Same soil/light/watering.

#3.'plump' haw:
{{gwi:563060}}

ID I have for this one is haworthia retusa - CORRECTION: should read cymbiformis - is that correct?
Thnks.

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 13:50

Comments (10)

• Will07
    10 years ago

My guess for the colour difference is because the red ones are younger and lack developed roots. I'm sure given time they will start looking more like the parents plants. As for ID you'll have to wait for someone else to come along.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Yes, I think the first ones are retusa forms (maybe turgida, possibly longibracteata-very similar to Karen & Colleen's, I think).

Some of your red ones are near death (in 3rd pic, ones on left), I think. More sun, less water is one way they turn red...but you say not. Looks like they need a drink-or you should check for roots. The terracotta pot may be drying them out too much.

The bottom pic Haws (plump) look more like cymbiformis from here (but could be wrong on that).

I like your stones! =)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Will. Time will tell, I hope.
    Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rosemarie

Thank you. I am really confused - my ID for the chubby one is cymbiformis (can't even copy, lol - I will edit above post)...

All red ones have been like that for a very long time, have photo from Sept.'12 - same color.
    Should have taken photo of the roots when planted, I do not remember how they look.
    Will check the roots - have nothing to loose, right?
    Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I checked the roots of one of the near-death.
    Really, no roots, just couple of dead-looking strings.
    There are whitish 'nubs' just at the base of leaves - see photo - is it trying to grow new roots?

Rina

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Yup, Those are roots nubs those white bumps you're featuring. Just pot it back up & give it time & occasional water.

• nil13
    10 years ago

mist the rootless ones every morning and they will turn around faster.

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

It should surprise you and recover from that just fine, Rina. Pot it up, water well, and see what happens. Looks as if it just received too harsh of light and perhaps too little water, and with some Haws it doesn't take much for them to redden and look stressed out. The first/original plant pictured, I would say that's definitely a match for a Haw I have indeed.

Everyone would recommend being mindful of the fact that Haws can sometimes drop their roots and grow new ones in the spring, and being mindful of not watering heavily if you've found that a plant has suddenly dropped its roots (not watering normally until roots have re-grown), but I personally don't take that to mean you should automatically water significantly less than usual in the spring, especially if you're already a light water-er. Rather, with my own plants I find cutting back in the spring typically leads to an emaciated look, like you're struggling with, and my Haws bitterly complain over it. I just regularly do a gentle tug to make sure things are still rooted. (I had a Haw abruptly drop roots this spring and regrow them, for the first time, but it wasn't this plant.) And to be clear, that's not what happened with your plant, I don't think; I just thought I'd mention it. The fact that you've gotten so many offsprings from your plant is a sign it's generally happy; I'd just guess it's mainly a light issue possibly combined with too little water. In my experience smaller pups will be the first to turn red--on all windowed Haws--and complain about the injustices they have experienced.

This post was edited by teatree on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 11:29

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pg & nil

Thank you, I am glad to hear they have chance.

Colleen

Thank you for all your remarks. I think it was mainly water issue - nearly not enough. They were under lights all winter long, but watered scarcely approx. 1x/2 weeks (or bit longer).
    Would you recommend cutting/pulling off dead roots? There are very few anyway. I have altogether 7 or 8 little ones in more or less same condition.
    I definitely want to try & see if they will grow.
    I always kept them in rather shady location.
    Tia.

Rina

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

I would venture it's inadequate water, too, but I'd normally hate to say so considering how most people have the opposite problem. :) And I know I water on the heavy side compared to many others. I normally end up watering about once a week most of the year, with some fluctuation with warmer temps and faster dry-out. I personally don't let these guys (these Haws in particular) go dry very long at all, as a day or two into dryness they begin getting dried-out lower leaves and then withering. There are Haws that are pickier about water, but it's just my personal experience that the more common windowed Haws you'll see in big box stores and the like, like your two, aren't particularly fussy about overwatering most of the year if the soil is well-draining.

I would probably trim off the majority of the dead roots, but I never trim too close to the stem and I don't pull off the dead roots anymore because I've had instances of accidentally trimming or bumping off new roots that are barely emerging among the dead.

This post was edited by teatree on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 23:54