Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Agave ID

Posted by linda_denman_island 8b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 11:28

I have a hard time distinguishing between some A. parryi forms and A. havardiana and am hoping that someone can help with the identification of the two agaves in the pic below. I started them both from seed several years ago, but many of the labels made when I went on an agave growing spree are long lost or faded. I'm wondering if the ones in the pic are both A. parryi or is one havardiana?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Agave ID

The guys at Xericworld might be able to help you.

o

Thanks, Mara. I will try there when I get a chance.

o

I have a hard time with this corner of the agave world. Lots of overlap. The the leaf shape looks like havardiana. The shared range in nature gets these all so mixed up. My view is that the A. Havardiana has a more open leaf and fewer leaves. The A parryii var parryiii has a similar leaf shape but more leaves . This make it hard to tell apart when they are young and before the plants have grown their many leaves or if a plant is grown in a shaded situation . Good luck..

o

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I have no difficulties identifying some species, but I'm hopeless with most havardiana and parryi. I've found that looking at pics online makes it even more confusing because there is so much variability.

o

Linda,

Greg Starr has a new book out on Agaves which is reputed to be All That. I'm going to get it from him via Starr Nursery (that gets it autographed for you) so I can start (perhaps) IDing a parryii from a pumila. The book's got an added bonus of being inexpensive.

o

Thanks for the tip on the book Jeff. I have the Mary and Gary Irish book, which is really helpful at times. I feel like I've already exceeded by plant (and plant books) budget for a bit, but I'm going to add the Starr book to my book wish list. If you happen to figure out what mine are, please let me know!

o

Linda,

Send me your email via my email plug-in - you can then send me the pics to post at XW if you yourself don't want to join (you should - we have too few ladies, like Mara, there).

o

Jeff, that's a very kind offer. I will send you an email.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here