Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage sale - $1

Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 11:34

Found this at garage sale yesterday:

The soil is totally dry, container doesn't have drainage hole (at least they didn't overwater).

Is the tall one cereus peruvianus?

Photobucket

#1: there are 2 identical plants, reddish in color (grown dry & sunny?)- is it Haworthia?
#2: close-up of Cereus (?)
#3: little almost dry/dead fuzzy rosette (there are 2 stems that have barely-alive rosettes, few more dead ones) - I have no idea what this is:

#1: Photobucket #2: Photobucket #3: Photobucket

Any comments appreciated.
Thnx.
Rina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage sale - $1

The tall one seems to be Cereus tetragonus. This is the plant you find labeled 'Fairy Castle' in the monstrous form.

o

#1is Haworthia
#3 looks like echeveria hybrid

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 13:16

Thank you D, thank you Inna.

Rina

o

• Posted by teatree zone 8b/Oregon (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 13:25

Is the barely alive rosette fuzzy? It resembles Echeveria pulvinata var. frigida 'Frosty' to me.

o
RE: Garage sale - $1q

Aww... Rina, do they have anymore ? Talk about a good deal and being at the right place at the right time.

o

Rina,

Outstanding purchase!!! I'd have to have bought it for the sheer oddity of finding such a score, never mind the fact that I never collected that Cereus if given the chance in a small pot of it for sale.

o

Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 16:22

Colleen;
that little rosette is really fuzzy, I think it will live. It is tiny, has a really long stem (they probably had it for a long time) and there are few dead stems too.
Thank you for the ID, I googled it & it looks very much like that.

Greg, Jeff,
I was really at the right place at the right time! I don't even go to garage sales (but now I probably will!) They live on my street & are moving to California...and the lady made me to take pot with some fake plants - but it had a nice bowl that I can use (that was "included" in purchase price...)

I'll just drill the drainage hole & use the same bowl. Maybe even keep them together - first have to research their growing needs.

Rina

Rina

o

Rina,

If you find the drilling a little hard going on the drill bit, use some water dribbled onto the hole while drilling.

Timing is everything, sometimes.

o

Nice haul for excellent price, Rina! Just adding that I don't believe there is such a thing as var. frigida. It's just Echeveria pulvinata 'Frosty'.

o

• Posted by teatree zone 8b/Oregon (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 20:25

Oh good! Glad it's a fit.

And Rosemarie, did not know! Will fix that in my notes.

o

Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 21:04

Jeff, thank you for the drilling tip.

Rosemarie, thank you for ID clarification.

Rina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here