Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rim Job

Posted by cactusmcharris 4 / Interior BC (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 23, 12 at 11:34

I was given these rectangular sheet metal boxes (they may have been livestock / horse watering troughs), and the truck tire rim turned up from somewhere, so why not fill them up with the countless rocks the earth coughs up or I strike when I'm tilling the ground prior to planting more perennials / roses / bulbs, eh?

When I get about another 5-700 pounds of rock in there I'll feel comfortable filling the crevices in with soil and begin planting it with Sempervivums and other xerophytic plants. It'll be my own succulent berm, with nary a non-cold-hardy succulent to worry my pretty little head about.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rim Job

I like the rim tire thingy ... but the tittle? Lol

o

Ha - great thread title!

x

o

Zech,

You're entitled to tittle about the title.

Mark,

Well, if I can't grow Aloe dichotoma in the summertime, when the livin' is easy, I'm pleased to say in six letters what you said in two - the aforewritten 'Ha' (which was my Korean name in elementary Korean school in the Navy).

o

Wow an extra t who cares -_-

o

good idea.Like the boxes and tire rim. I got lotsa rocks here too.

I'm thinking about the old old old woodpile outback of my house. . . .filling in w/ rocks and doing 'sumpin' with it. Not sure if it'll be sempervivums, but maybe, maybe . . . (still in the 'inkling' stage)

o

Woodpiles good for Hugelkulture... I know off topic. I couldn't help myself when I saw that. It is something I am flirting with doing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hugelkulture

o

Zech,

I care for correct spelling (and I'm not 100%, but try is best), and given that your first sentence wasn't distinct, maybe you might. Also, given that you're still young, you have more than ample time to improve your spelling. Here endeth the first lesson.

Sherry,

Wow, you got real weather! Woodpile and semps (or not) - you could have iris growing out of the pockets of soil / decomposing wood.

Mara,

I'm going to have to check it out - right now with the shovel balanced on the knee I'm finding it difficult to switch pages.

o

Hey Mara,
yep, I been areadin' about hugelculturefor a while.

Was stationed in good old Deutschland for 7 years and saw many folks practicing it, in their front, back and side yards. . . . but I didn't know it was called 'hugelkulture'......They were on to something then, and it was quite a few years ago.

Hey, 'Ha', I spent a little time in Korea as well (army)I dont know yet what I'll plant, but what do you mean I have real weather? Isn't zone 4 colder than zone 5?

o

That hugelkulture is very interesting ... and i just accidently pressed t one more time ... im not illiterate!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here