Huernia zebrina progress

Just potted after receiving from kind GW member:

{{gwi:563440}}

It has 6 arms now:

TFL. Rina

Comments (52)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Laura want one, email me with a return email and it's yours compliments of Paul

• wiley1983
    10 years ago

oh man, i really gotta find one of these, any idea where i can find one??

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wiley

why don't you check with bikerdoc5968 (that's Howard) - he may be able to help you.

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 17:50

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

If I'm not mistaken there may be a problem as Wiley is in Canada & Biker is not. Don't think it's OK to ship plants btwn US & Canada.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didn't notice...wiley, where in Canada? I am in TO.
    Rina

• wiley1983
    10 years ago

oh man,,,,,, you cant ship plants to canada????? ooohhhhhh crappy deal!!!!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Huernia got bigger too and is sporting 'snow tan'...I think...

Rina

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Don't know where Rina got her's but anyone interested, that includes our friends in Canada, email me with a return email...I don't much like PM's. This is what my plant looks like today. I was given a cutting a couple of years ago by Paul (above) and it has grown tremendously! Pieces fall off all the time and I must have half a dozen rooted and the pieces on the rake in front of the plant.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Grown very well!

Josh

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Howard, how soon you forgot...lol
    Huernia and "roly-poly" (E. obesa) both came from you (+ some more).

I am happy that they survived, especially this years brutal winter. Even now as I write this, with just couple of weeks till first day of spring, it is abt. 3F outside, worst with windchill. And we are supposedly getting some more snow.
    They (all my plants) spent this winter in pretty cool (just 49F) room, and really not enough light even with some shoplights. So anything still alive is a victory for me.

Rina

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Rina, can I blame my age... how quickly we forget!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Howard

yes you can...me too (your age). I remember because now I label everything (folder says: Received from Howard)
    So I just look smart, lol.

Rina

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Howard is a friendly guy. He gave me some also. Doing fine also. Sorry to say, the yellow flowered one died. I really liked that one. Cold window seal. Keeping much warmer now. I planted up 100 Huernia seeds and got about 30 plants so far. Hope to get at least one yellow one out of the pack.
    Stush

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Stan remind of the name of the dearly deceased, and I might be able to find another or at least start one.

10 years ago

Howard,
    It was that yellow flowered one that you posted last year. No Id. It looks exactly like HUERNIA thudichumii. I believe you got it from Karyn (Karyn1).
    Does any one know how Karyn is doing? Haven't seen any post.
    Stush

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Here is the H. zebrine flower that is in the above picture.

Karyn is just fine and wintering in Florida! Wish I was there, too!

Stan, is that your pic or mine? I will look for it this summer and keep you in mind but I may need a bit of a reminder!

10 years ago

Howard, that is your picture. I kept it untill I can replace it with mine. It is in my spreadsheet with your name and date and so on. I have no memory. And my spelling keeps getting worse by the day.
    If my computer ever goes down. Most of my plants, names and who I got them from will be lost forever. It will just be a bunch of green weeds growing in the house keeping the sun from shinning in.
    O.T. I was thinking of starting a family album with pictures of family, names dates and how related. With added friends. That way when someone comes to visit, I get the album out and check it. Maybe even take a new picture.
    Ha Ha just kidding.
    Although I like RoRo picture list. Also the cactus shades.
    Very cool.
    Stush

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Stan, I think the two of us should meet and commiserate together. It seems we both have the same affliction! And to this topic, I think I have found the stock Huernia and should have no problem sending a piece to you this spring.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Me too!!!
    I belong to the same club...Stan, just print everything or save on few different sticks (I learned the hard way).
    I have to make notes on everything (& then have hard time to remember where the notes are - so best to keep them on computer & few sticks & external drive too).

Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Look what I found today - a tiny 'balloon'...well, will see how long it will take? And couple of new arms forming too.

I read somewhere that you are not supposed to move the plant because it will drop the bud. Is that the case?

Rina

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

Oh, nice all! I got my arms from Howard and they are almost rooted firmly but not quite yet.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think yours will be growing in no time & much faster than mine...you are in better location for succs. I have noticed photos of your plants, they are beauties.
    This growth just happened since I was able to put it outside (which is only about 10 days).

What a difference sun makes. Rina

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

I love Balloon's! lol.. Congrats on your bud! The plant looks great and has really put out some growth!

I'm not sure if moving them causes bud drop.. so maybe better safe than sorry and not move it much.

9 years ago

rina,
    Yes, moving them changes their environment and can shock them. I was lucky when I moved my last year. First bud and it was getting cold out at night. Had no choice but to move it indoors but it still finished blooming and had another one to boot. This is the one that latter formed a crest and now planted off to itself.
    Stush

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Stush

thanks for the tip - I have to move inside with all other succs since there is a big storm coming (lots of rain, wind) - so will see what happens.

Rina

• hijole
    9 years ago

Rina nice pictures of your plant I've enjoyed them along with all the others.

Greg

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Hope it does fine and you have that bloom soon!

• Danielle Rose
    9 years ago

Fantasic! I can't wait to see it open!

Is this the one from the top of the thread, last year? It gives me hope that maybe next summer I'll get a flower from my little huernia from Howard! It has already put on some fantastic growth ... can't wait for flowers!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Danielle,

yes, it is.
    I also got it from Howard.
    I hope the bud doesn't fall off, had to move them inside - there was lots of rain & wind here today.

Rina

• Danielle Rose
    9 years ago

I think if the temperature/light difference isn't that dramatic, it shouldn't make too much of a difference.

Orchids or notoriously temperamental, and one I purchased in bud (spike) from an orchid society meeting in February promptly stalled, and those spikes never flowered. The trip home, as much as I tried to shield it from winter temperatures, was just too traumatic. It also had to acclimate to a different humidity level in my home.

I just picked one up the other day, though, with three big spikes, and those buds haven't wasted any time ... they are continuing to grow. Ifhe difference between outside/inside isn't that extreme, I think your bud will be okay.

Pictures when it opens!

• coldeuphorb
    9 years ago

Here's mine

• coldeuphorb
    9 years ago

And another

• coldeuphorb
    9 years ago

trying again

• coldeuphorb
    9 years ago

last one

9 years ago

coldeuphorb,
    Yours are not H. zebrina. Maybe H. zebrina hybrids. Notice the colors are different. Those must be from two different plants. Seeds from H. zebrina could produce those.
    If you want to look them up;
    http://anti-matter-3d.com/Stapeliads/
    http://www.cactus-mall.com/stapeliad/index.html
    http://www.asclepiad-exhibition.org/Huernia_g-h.htm
    Miles to Go has a yellow w/red center called H. red belly. I was going to buy it.
    Stush

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

Looks like H Guttata.

• coldeuphorb
    9 years ago

Of course you're right, I didn't bother ID it but the one without tiger stripes is a Huernia zebrina var. insigniflora.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The bud is still there, even after pot being moved few times.
    Rain expected again for next 2 days, but only very light, hope to be able to leave all outside...Rina

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

It's looking good!
    Hoping it holds for you!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After all that moving in & out of the house, the bud survived & finally started to open...Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is there another flower coming? Looks like there is new bud growing in circled area...
    Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So the original flower is gone now, but there are 3 more buds in same spot...hopefully will get more blooms before end of summer.

The 'stems/arm' got much darker since it is outside, but they are rather brown - wish they were more red like Howard's - maybe they will redden up yet.

Rina

• Danielle Rose
    9 years ago

Mine gets quite a bit of bright light outside, but not much full sun. As a result, it's stayed pretty green. I see new growth out of the sides, but I don't think they're buds ... just more arms.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another 'bud' soon to open (I hope!); there is couple more hiding behind this one, very tiny yet.
    Rina

• 0nametaken0
    9 years ago

Nice, I bought mine a month ago and they flowered a few days ago. Rina I had no idea you were in TO, I thought you were south in windsor or something. I think you have a crazy collection (unless Im mistaking you for someone else). Id love to trade or buy succ/cacti from you some day (dont worry not soon).

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

NT

Why do you think I have 'crazy collection'?...I have few, but comparing to most of the members here, they seem to me just "run-of-the-mill". Some are growing good, I have some babies and/or pups now. Not Huernia yet - but I'll try, after flowering.

I used to be in TO until earlier this year, I am just a bit north (about 50-60km) now...

Rina

• 0nametaken0
    9 years ago

From what I recall I remember you posted a link to your album, there were many succulents in pots all around the yard. Perhaps my memory over exaggerated over time.

Good to see there are others in or close to TO who are into the hobby.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, maybe...there was a link some time ago...I did have them all outside-it was summertime.

Huernia's 2nd bud opened today.
    Rina

• Joan Berg
    9 years ago

I'm not familiar with this plant. It does put out an *amazing flower* though, and it is so nice to see the pictures on the forum. Congrats to all the happy gardeners/nurturers!

As I've found out -to my great dismay- my new house is not conducive to growing plants indoors. i have a few --because it wouldn't be life-on-earth without them!! (pothos, schefelera, an aloe, a spider that never got babies and a # of succulents)
    It seems the trouble is that the window tinting/covering (brown tone) cuts out part of the color/light spectrum and *everything gets leggy* like crazy. There's no changing that, but because of it, we do get some wild looking green stuff at our house!

I may try some of the propagation tips posted here on GW and give it a whirl with a new crop! -and grittier soil. I am not an over-waterer, but "peaty" potting soil seems to be not the way to go. Who knows, in time I may end up with a flowering huernia zebrina!

Thank you all for the inspiration.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm