Gibbaeum johnstonii

{{gwi:563455}}

Argyroderma testiculare from seed

{{gwi:563456}}

Conophytum pellucidum from seed

{{gwi:563457}}

Ariocarpus fissuratus

{{gwi:563458}}

Comophytum x marnierianum - it is one clone with multiple flower colors on the same plant!

{{gwi:563459}}

Argyroderma delaetii (white)

{{gwi:563460}}

Argyroderma delaetii (pale pink)

{{gwi:563462}}

Lithops julii chrysocephala C205 from seed

{{gwi:563464}}

Lithops karasmontana ssp bella C143a from seed

{{gwi:563466}}

Argyroderma pearsonii from seed, huge flower compared to body

{{gwi:563468}}

Lithops salicola C86 from seed

{{gwi:563470}}

Conophytum maughanii

{{gwi:563472}}

From this spring/summer so far:

"Sulcorebutia"

{{gwi:563474}}

Rebutia

{{gwi:563476}}

"Neoporteria" senilis

{{gwi:563478}}

Mammillaria spinosissima from seed

{{gwi:563480}}

Turbinicarpus lophophorioides

{{gwi:563481}}

Mammillaria coahuilensis

{{gwi:563482}}

Strombocactus disciformis

{{gwi:563483}}

Turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus

{{gwi:563485}}

"Lobivia" haematantha

{{gwi:563486}}

"Sulcorebutia" arenacea

{{gwi:563487}}

"Notocactus" apricus

{{gwi:563488}}

Rebutia pygmaea v orurensis

{{gwi:563489}}

"Notocactus" scopa

{{gwi:563490}}

Gymnocalycium

{{gwi:563491}}

Echinopsis, such short-lived flowers

{{gwi:563492}}

"Sulcorebutia" canigueralii ssp crispata

{{gwi:563493}}

"Sulcorebutia" steinbachii

{{gwi:563494}}

Rebutia heliosoa, nice tight spines, one of my faves

{{gwi:563495}}

"Notocactus" werdermanniana

{{gwi:563496}}

Echinocereus reichenbachii

{{gwi:563497}}

Gymnocalycium bayrianum

{{gwi:563498}}

Astrophytum myriostigma v coahuilensis

{{gwi:563499}}

Parodia microsperma v mercedesiana

{{gwi:563500}}

Echinocereus reichenbachii ssp rubispinus

{{gwi:563501}}

Avonia quinaria group from seed, talk about huge flower size in proportion to plant

{{gwi:563503}}

Notocactus uebelmannius

{{gwi:563504}}

Frithia humilis

{{gwi:563505}}

x_nyc

Comments (18)

• sjv78736
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Outstanding!
    Might I request a full body shot of Turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus?

• xerophyte NYC
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sjv

I just checked the label, that plant is actually Pelecyphora asseliformis - very similar body type, the Turb has lighter striped flowers. Here's a body shot:

{{gwi:563506}}

And here is a new picture I took today, unknown "Notocactus":
    {{gwi:563507}}

• mauch1
    16 years ago

What do you attribute your success in getting your plants to flower?

• sjv78736
    16 years ago

Thank you, X.
    I find that Pelecyphora asseliformis most intriguing! Beautiful form and..."hide"! I could look at that for a long while (and did). Incredible bloom, yes, but an equally incredible body. Thanks for sharing this one!
    Jo

• xerophyte NYC
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mauch1

I can only tell you what I do and why I do it, that may not work for everyone because there are so many variables, but to summarize:

1. Basic soil mix is 50% inert drainage (fine gravel, perlite) and 50% garden soil that has not been amended. For more finicky species I will increase the % of gravel a little, but not much, I'd rather just water less. Why garden soil? It is stable (will not decompose), and being mostly clay it holds nutrients well and is difficult to dry out completely. In winter it is important to keep fine roots from desiccating, light watering of my soil mix is enough. I used to use peat, but I can tell you from experience, it is guaranteed to lead to weak growth.

2. Water - when the plants are actively growing they consume water regularly, more than most people may realize. When they are dormant, they need a very small amount to prevent root death which won't kill the plant, but makes it work extra hard in the spring to re-grow roots, thereby zapping energy from growth and flowering, not to mention being more prone to rot without roots to take in water.

3. Food - I use soluble fertilizers at low strength, but not cheap ones that build up dangerous salts like Miracle-Gro.

4. Light - Full sun while outdoors or in the greenhouse and growing with fresh air and circulation being a must. In the winter, dormant plants do not need light if it is cold and dry.

5. Temperature - most of my succulents are in my unheated greenhouse unless nights start to regularly dip below 30, then they go into my garage for winter storage. Winter-growing succulents, like many mesembs, are under HID lamps in the garage from about December to March. Many are more cold-tolerant than I have read in publications. I attribute this to root sustenance, as they are healthy.

Did I miss anything? Oh, yes - you have to be very observant, know when your plants are growing and when they are not, know when they want water, it takes time to recognize these things well. And don't be afraid to try something new and don't worry if some plants die, it's part of the learning curve.

x

• whistlermt
    16 years ago

Absolutely breathtaking. Thank you so very much for sharing.

Katie

• greenhouser
    16 years ago

What fertilizer do you use on our cacti and succulents?

• xerophyte NYC
    Original Author
    16 years ago

greenhouser

For warm season growers like cactus, in the spring and early summer I use very diluted Algoflash, the tomato plant formulation, I think it is 4-6-8 with minors.

When it starts to stay warm at night, >65F, I stop fertilizing as most plants slow down in the heat. Late summer and early fall I wean off the plants using Schultz cactus fertilizer, which is 1-7-7 with minors I believe, it has a lower N, I don't want to stimulate growth in the fall.

Winter growers, like the mesembs, take the same 1-7-7 (?) Schultz fertilizer which is diluted, starting late summer until about December, then no fertilizing until around March when I usually give a few more feeds but sometimes I forget.

• wiccadgardener
    16 years ago

Incredible!! May I ask where you got the Pelecyphora asseliformis? I've never seen one before.

• xerophyte NYC
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I bought it as a small plant from this nursery many years ago, it grows v e r y s l o w l y, I've had it I think over 10 years at least, but it can be had on eBay, it is usually grafted because it grows so slow.

Eventually it outgrows the light-bulb shape and becomes more rounded.

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

What a stunning collection of blooms!

• greenhouser
    16 years ago

Thanks so much for that information. :^)

• plantomaniac
    16 years ago

MY GOODNESS! *faints* I've never seen so many beautiful cacti and succulents with such fantastic and colorful flowers, congratulations on a job well done!

Elizabeth

• xerophyte NYC
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for the comments, there's no reason why anyone else can't grow and flower succulents too. From April until December, hardly a day goes by without something blooming or about to bloom. It's very rewarding.

x

• red_sea_me
    16 years ago

X,

WOW! Very nicely done!

congrats,
    -Ethan

• ariole
    16 years ago

What a very nice show. Such a great variety. I thoroughly enjoyed each and every one -- and I expect to go through the entire bunch several more times.

Please show us more and more.

Al

A note on ID. Mammillaria coahuilensis looks a lot like Mamm. carmenae.

• xerophyte NYC
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Al

you're right about the mamm, my bad - what was that shakespeare quote, "a rose by another name still smells as sweet"...

• zeckron
    16 years ago

I can't say anything more than everyone else has about your collection! INCREDIBLE!!!

It really gives encouragement to newbies like myself. Thanks for sharing.

Oh, and I'm glad you're having such success with Algoflash. That's what I've been using for the past 1.5yr and I'm very happy thus far. Looks like I'll keep using it!

Again, thanks for sharing.