Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david90531

Is my Pachyphytum oviferum okay?

DavidL.ca
9 years ago

I got these moonstones a month ago, and it came like this with one of the stems seemingly cut off, and I thought it would regrow but it seems to stay like this with no further growth. Is this normal? Should I cut the part that looks dead and see if it will grow again?

Comments (8)

• hampshire_uk
    9 years ago

The plant won't continue to grow as normal as someone has cut off the growth point. Unfortunately cutting it back more won't help, however this doesn't mean they won't grow. Instead, the cut plant will produce new baby plants from the stem, usually near a leaf.

Be patient and suddenly one day there will be a mini clone of the plant that should be healthy and grow normally. When this appears leave it on the mother plant for as long as possible, it will grow faster when attached. I usually remove mine once a year when they are big enough to almost fill a seedling pot. Yours may grow quicker though as mine are in terrible light conditions.

Take care of them and you will soon have more than you know what to do with.

Good luck.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

Plus summer isn't a prime time for growth where you are for these plants. You'll see a lot more active growth in the fall, and that cut spot will shrink as it's covered up by new growth in the next year.

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! That's exciting and good to know :)) I will leave it untouched then. Although I'm planning to repot theseat least one of them to a bigger pot with other succulents. It's my attempt to do a succulent pot garden, on an apartment window sill.. wish me luck!

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sure enough! The little baby buds have started to come out as you said :)
    {{gwi:563522}}
    And they're growing quite fast! I see some growth each day

However, I noticed the other day that one of the leave got a black mark like this, not sure what this is but it's only on this leaf, and it doesn't seem to be spreading.. Is this overwatering?
    {{gwi:563523}}

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Congrats on the new growth! I love seeing baby leaves! (if that's what they are called on succulents? )

Not sure about the black spot.
    Does your pot have drainage? It kind of looks like it's on a drip tray, if it is do you keep the tray emptied?

And what kind of sun exposure do they get? What direction is it coming from?

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes it has drainage hole with 50/50 mix. Its on my apartment window sill so it gets pretty good indirect light everyday .and direct sun for 3-4 hours, plus I just got a growing light so if they don't get enough sun I leave the light on for another 2-3 hrs. Could it be overwatering then? My plants got rained on this past Tuesday because of severe thunderstorm

• hampshire_uk
    9 years ago

My pachyphytum has the same markings. I think they were either caused by sun damage, or damage from when I was moving them. But it hasn't spread at all and doesn't seem to affect the overall health of the plant, so I wouldn't worry too much. It won't heal, but should be replaced by new growth eventually.

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I see, that's good to know, although I would suspect it's a sunburn, since I don't get that much sun here.. Probably when I touched them or something then.