Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david90531

Pea gravel, construction sand, or lava rocks?

DavidL.ca
9 years ago

I've been trying to find a third addition to my soil mix, since I'll be potting some Lithops and other succulents soon. But it's been difficult to find pumice and turface, so right now my mix is only 50% perlite and 50% cactus soil. Today I found some pea gravel and construction sand from Home Depot. Here are the online description for both, do these sound right? The pea gravel sounds big to me...

Pea gravel:
� High quality, 3/8 inch (10 mm), natural, round stone
� Ideal for decorative landscaping or repairing a flat roof
� Use around patios, decks, gardens, play areas, pathways, dog-runs, pools and ponds
� Ready to use

Gravel:
KING Gravel, natural crushed stone ranging in size from 1/2" to 3/4".

water drainage, driveways and walk ways.
also used in maKING Concrete Mix,
This item comes in a 30kg bag

There's also 1/2" version of the gravel

Construction Sand:
� High quality, graded, damp, medium-fine, natural sand
� Ideal for blending custom, cement-based mixes
� Use for landscaping or displays
� Great for use as a soil conditioner
� Ready to use
This item comes in a 30kg bag

I also found lava rocks from Lowes but I don't think this would be it..
http://www.lowes.ca/bbq-grill-accessories/grill-care-company-7-lbs-lava-rocks_g1192754.html?linkloc=reCanonical

Would any of these work as my 3rd element for succulent soil 2.0? I'm only repotting things in 3-4 inch pots. I appreciate any input :)

Comments (15)

• CDCFRMS
    9 years ago

I would stay away from the sand. The king gravel sounds to big. The pea gravel sounds like it could work. I get my lava rock & granite grit from http://www.alliedbuilding.com/ they have a lot of locations in california you should see if they have one near you.
    As far as turface ive tried a substitute version that they sell at grainger http://www.grainger.com/product/MOLTAN-Universal-Absorbent-6RKH9?opr=APPD&pbi=6RKH8 they have locations throughout California as well. Hope that helps.

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks... but yeah if I'm in US I should be okay, but in Canada I can't find them in nurseries or big box stores, and most sites don't deliver to Canada.
    I did find this on the canadian grainer site though. Is it the right one? Moltan OPTISORB 20LB
    https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AGIPortalWeb/WebSource/ProductDisplay/globalProductDetailDisplay.do?item_code=FLD20

• CDCFRMS
    9 years ago

Sorry, I was thinking California when I saw the .ca in you name.

That product seems to do the same thing as the link i sent you, same brand as well. Might be worth a try, i would put some in water for a couple days to test before you put it in your plants. Some of these materials are known to break down over time and turn to mush. I noticed on the same page there's a link to a 25 pound paper bag for less.

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah nevermind... that website/company doesn't sell it to public, I have to be in some sort of company. And I just did a web search can't find it elsewhere.

I guess I would give pea gravel a try then? 3/8 inch won't be too big for smaller pots right?

EDIT: Actually I found out a rock store sells granite grit around my area, is that better than pea gravel or about the same?

This post was edited by DavidL.ca on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 14:11

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Gosh,
    I thought the ca. was for California too. :-/
    David,
    Do you have any pet shops near by that carry natural aquarium gravel?
    The pea gravel sounds kind of large to me for small plants.
    Hopefully others will chime in soon~
    JoJo

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

farm feed and supply centers and some tactor sales areas often carry poultry grits

• CDCFRMS
    9 years ago

3/8 is on the bigger size, i prefer 1/4 inch for my grit. If you can get a place that sells granite grit you might have a better chance of getting the size you want. If you search gran i grit gritty mix you will find a lot of info as far as size to look for. Usually the preferred sizes are. (3/32"-3/16") or (3/16"-5/16")

• deep___roots
    9 years ago

Also, if there is a garden supply yard near you that sells big quantities of soils, rocks, etc. they may also sell those big pieces of slate or flagstone.
    What you want to do is ask them if you can collect the tiny pieces that come off these large pieces in the normal course of storage, sale, etc. The tiny little chips and such are not salable and they might let you have some for free.
    Then you can put these in some cloth and break these up with a hammer at home (so no pieces are lost) and you have a nice draining element. I've used such little chips and shards with my sempervivums.
    Just a thought.

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks you guys for the help!

@jojo haha yea seems to be a common confusion xD. Yes petsmart have some aquarium gravel, but I heard it has to be non-glossy. Would these be alright?
    http://www.petsmart.ca/supplies/gravel-sand/marina-decorative-aquarium-creek-gravel-zid36-18694/cat-36-catid-300072?var_id=36-18694&_t=pfm%3Dsearch

http://www.petsmart.ca/supplies/gravel-sand/caribsea-super-naturals-aquarium-gravel-zid36-16743/cat-36-catid-300072?var_id=36-16743

@CDCFRMS @nomen_nudum
    I called one of the feed store and they said they don't carry granite grit but has gravel sizing at 1/2, 3/4 and pea gravel which is 3/8".. so I think those are all too big. Another thing they said they carry is limestone screening, he said it's quite fine but not sand-like, more coarse. I attached a picture I found on google

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

David,

where in Canada are you?
    I buy chicken grit in 50lb bags, and also can get turface.

Rina

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks nomen for the pics! I have a much better idea what to look for now!

@rina I'm in Toronto! Didn't know you're Canadian :D. I guess I'm just kind of clueless on where to get these things. Where do you buy yours?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Yup, Canadian...lived in TO 45 yrs.

I get chicken grit from North York Farmers;17435 Leslie St; Newmarket, ON; (905) 895-5172

You may be able to google another farmer supplies store if Newmarket is too out-of-way for you...

I have to find my notes about turface...
    Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 22:18

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cool! I thought I'm all alone on this forum.. haha I dunno seems like Canadians aren't that into succulents and cacti, we're always slow on trends, ha.
    Thanks for the numbers! Would be great to know about turface too, cuz so far every place I ask they give me an universal answer of "HUH?"

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Turface can be subsituted for Napa products floor dry or oil dry other same type products have beenfound at most any Auto/car parts stores.

See also turface distributers locator on link
    http://www.turface.com/distributors/state

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz