Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
microthrix

Mesemb Dish Garden?

Microthrix
11 years ago

I just went outside today and looked at my cactus dish gardens and thought "that would be cool with mesembs" ... is this a good idea? Would they all work with their specific watering scedules? Can lithops, pleiospilos, aloinopsis, frithia, all live in the same pot together?

Thanks for any replies!

-Zechariah

Comments (9)

• jessiec777
    11 years ago

I'm glad you asked this question! I was wondering the same thing. My mom gave me an awesome pot that would be perfect...

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I have grown fenestaria, pleiosipilos, faucaria, with Euphorbia perle van nurnberg , stapelia, opuntia monocantha for a couple of years. so far so good. It is a large dish and sometimes I water one side but not the other.

I put a aloinopsis shooneesii and a A. malherbei, Delasperma congestum, a senecio himalaya, cold hardy graptopetalum and a couple of semperviron. I think I might have a sedum hernandezii. I used rocks to create mini spaces because I herd that the alionopsis likes a small crowded space. I will have to protect it from the semp. We will see about this one.

I will be posting some pictures in a bit. I create a mountain with rocks so there is a level change to help with the drainage. I don't know if I am breaking the rules. I just did it because I get bored of the one plant in a pot routine. I like to change it up, making a little landscape.

• jessiec777
    11 years ago

Sounds very cool Mara, I'd love to see pictures! :-)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I have been going a little troth Garden crazy this spring. Some of these are hardy to different degrees . We will see what lives in the cold hardy to twenty dish next Spring.. I am testing out info from a source on the web. Some I don't believe but I am going to "act as if". I just could not stop buying Graptoveras, Echeverias, sedums and the rosette forming succulents. Many of my plants are tiny and invisible. I have some brown echeveria and graptovera babies without a name nessled in the gravel

There was a question about mixing different mesembs, alionopsis, pleiosipilos,faucarias in a dish. I have included those pictures at the end too.

Beachplants (or anyone), I have a question for you, the alionopsis malherbei in the last picture has a babble of tiny growth in ithe center of the rosette. Is that meristem damage, desease, next years growth, flower buds? It is the last picture

{{gwi:539341}}

{{gwi:561087}}

{{gwi:561089}}

{{gwi:561091}}

{{gwi:564154}}

I kinda blew it on my fertilizing

{{gwi:539344}}
    Here are some old troth or CALDRON gardens and a smaller cactus troth that I am always changing up . I have two more A. victoria-reginae that are to be inserted into the cracks of the piled rock. They like to grow on cliff walls in Nature.

{{gwi:564156}}

{{gwi:564158}}
    href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/36613107@N05/7271657012/"; title="Pleiospilos nelii and Echeveria by marasri, on Flickr">{{gwi:561095}}

Here is the photo with the Alionopsis question about the plant's center.

{{gwi:561093}}

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Yikes I double posted accidently. I meant to put this on its own post and then did not see it and then did it again. Sorry guys.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Mara

just doublechecking: you posted with Euphorbia perle van nurnberg in your first reply - did you mean
    Echeveria 'Perle von Nurnberg' (typo?). I was trying to find a pics of it...Thnx. Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Mara

your mixed dishes/planters are beautiful...Rina

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I guess I left out the caps and the quotes. It would not be the first time nor the last. You are lucky I spelled right ... or is it right? Sorry. I am not the most exact person.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Mara, I didn't mean the caps & quotes, but you wrote euphorbia instead of echeveria...not trying to pick on you, but I started looking for pics of what you wrote because I thought that there is euphorbia perle too...lol, that shows you how much I know! And I copied the name, so that is why it was correct.
    Rina