Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mesemb Dish Garden?

Posted by Microthrix none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 12 at 12:16

I just went outside today and looked at my cactus dish gardens and thought "that would be cool with mesembs" ... is this a good idea? Would they all work with their specific watering scedules? Can lithops, pleiospilos, aloinopsis, frithia, all live in the same pot together?
Thanks for any replies!
-Zechariah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mesemb Dish Garden?

I'm glad you asked this question! I was wondering the same thing. My mom gave me an awesome pot that would be perfect...

o

I have grown fenestaria, pleiosipilos, faucaria, with Euphorbia perle van nurnberg , stapelia, opuntia monocantha for a couple of years. so far so good. It is a large dish and sometimes I water one side but not the other.

I put a aloinopsis shooneesii and a A. malherbei, Delasperma congestum, a senecio himalaya, cold hardy graptopetalum and a couple of semperviron. I think I might have a sedum hernandezii. I used rocks to create mini spaces because I herd that the alionopsis likes a small crowded space. I will have to protect it from the semp. We will see about this one.

I will be posting some pictures in a bit. I create a mountain with rocks so there is a level change to help with the drainage. I don't know if I am breaking the rules. I just did it because I get bored of the one plant in a pot routine. I like to change it up, making a little landscape.

o

Sounds very cool Mara, I'd love to see pictures! :-)

o

I have been going a little troth Garden crazy this spring. Some of these are hardy to different degrees . We will see what lives in the cold hardy to twenty dish next Spring.. I am testing out info from a source on the web. Some I don't believe but I am going to "act as if". I just could not stop buying Graptoveras, Echeverias, sedums and the rosette forming succulents. Many of my plants are tiny and invisible. I have some brown echeveria and graptovera babies without a name nessled in the gravel

There was a question about mixing different mesembs, alionopsis, pleiosipilos,faucarias in a dish. I have included those pictures at the end too.

Beachplants (or anyone), I have a question for you, the alionopsis malherbei in the last picture has a babble of tiny growth in ithe center of the rosette. Is that meristem damage, desease, next years growth, flower buds? It is the last picture

New troth garden

Echeveria mazarine bloom

Troth Garden:Alionopsis shooneesii, cremnosedum

Troth Garden; Alionopsis malherbei, semps, senecio himalaya, cremnosedum

Troth Garden

I kinda blew it on my fertilizing

Troth garden
Here are some old troth or CALDRON gardens and a smaller cactus troth that I am always changing up . I have two more A. victoria-reginae that are to be inserted into the cracks of the piled rock. They like to grow on cliff walls in Nature.

DSC_0186

Dark Night and Grizzly Bear
href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/36613107@N05/7271657012/" title="Pleiospilos nelii and Echeveria by marasri, on Flickr">Pleiospilos nelii and Echeveria

Here is the photo with the Alionopsis question about the plant's center.

Alionopsis malherbei

o

Yikes I double posted accidently. I meant to put this on its own post and then did not see it and then did it again. Sorry guys.

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 10:27

Mara

just doublechecking: you posted with Euphorbia perle van nurnberg in your first reply - did you mean
Echeveria 'Perle von Nurnberg' (typo?). I was trying to find a pics of it...Thnx. Rina

o

Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 10:28

Mara

your mixed dishes/planters are beautiful...Rina

o

I guess I left out the caps and the quotes. It would not be the first time nor the last. You are lucky I spelled right ... or is it right? Sorry. I am not the most exact person.

o

Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 19:49

Mara, I didn't mean the caps & quotes, but you wrote euphorbia instead of echeveria...not trying to pick on you, but I started looking for pics of what you wrote because I thought that there is euphorbia perle too...lol, that shows you how much I know! And I copied the name, so that is why it was correct.
Rina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here