Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berylstreep

leaves falling off of echeveria setosa?

berylstreep
9 years ago

Hi! I'm entirely new to plants but I really wanted to give taking care of plants a try and I heard that succulents were very easy to take care of so I bought an Echeveria Setosa. I did so much research and read like everything about how to take care of them and I thought I was doing it right, but I guess not... I keep it in a pot indoors by a window but I put it outside for a few hours every morning. I only water it like every other day, but that's only if the soil is completely dry. that's what I read I was supposed to do but now I'm really confused because the leaves are falling off! All the questions and answers I read online say things about the leaves drying up and turning yellow or brown falling off but the leaves that fall off look exactly as they did when I bought them!!! just today I noticed that it was getting little brown and white spots on the center leaves. I live in Tennessee so our weather is really bipolar. it's really hot out most days but I don't think it's too hot... I don't know I need help on what I should do and if I even can help it...
thanks!!!

Comments (6)

• twiltye
    9 years ago

Water every other day is way too much! It's better to give it a good drink once a week than a little bit of water every other day. These plants do better if you don't fuss over them too much.

I'm sure others will chime in on the soil and what's actually going on with the plant. It's normal for leaves on the bottom to dry and fall off, but leaves in the middle mean something is wrong.

• spapa
    9 years ago

As twisty said, that is way too much watering. In winter I water about every 3-4 weeks and in summer about every week. What soil are you using? It looks very heavy.

The brown spots in the photo are sunburn; badly sunburned leaves will eventually fall off, while those that are mildly burned will just retain a scar until they are shed as the plant grows. It's a big transition for a plant to go from inside to outside sunlight, and the switch should take place over at least several days. I would recommend keeping it outside all the time during summer (as I do here in Colorado) after that adjustment phase, of course. In the winter, it will need to be in a south-facing window to receive enough light.

The yellowing leaves you are talking about could be from overwatering, although it could also just be normal shedding of bottom leaves that occurs. I would guess that once you amend your soil and transition the plant into the sun slowly this will stop.

• berylstreep
    Original Author
    9 years ago

okay thanks! the soil that it has is the lightest I could find and the guy at the store said it would work :/ it's specifically cacti and succulent soil and it's supposed to be very fast draining... I haven't watered it in a while and I'll start doing it like you said. I can't really keep it outside because of where I live and it literally has been storming about everyday. is there like a type of lamp or something that I could get so I could keep it safe indoors??

• spapa
    9 years ago

Oh, I read your post wrong -- I was thinking you lived in Texas, not Tennessee! As far as I know Tennessee is humid, which means you probably need to water less than I do (in one of the top 15 driest cities in the U.S.)

Never trust what they say at the store, unless it's a specialized nursery that clearly knows what they're talking about when it comes to succulents.

If you bought a bagged C & S mix, the easiest solution would be to cut it with perlite. I use about 60% perlite to 40% mix here, but I would suggest around 70% perlite in your climate. If you want to get more serious you can read about Al's Gritty Mix here on the forum. I use that for my favorite/rarest plants, a pretty good mix from a local succulent farm for the rest of my collection and the perlite/potting mix for plants I'm just planning to sell and not grow long-term (it does the job, it's just not my favorite).

If you think it's not getting enough light indoors, yes there are grow lamps available. You can even find just the bulbs at a hardware store if you have an extra lamp lying around :)

• berylstreep
    Original Author
    9 years ago

okay thanks so much! I'll have to look into the lighting and soil options! based on my plant's condition, do you think I can still save the little guy? and how will I know when I've got him back in to shape if i manage to do so?

• spapa
    9 years ago

From the pic I would say you can definitely save him! There is lots of healthy plant left -- although he might look lopsided for a while.

Watch for new growth coming out of the center. Also, you should notice less leaf dropping once it's re-established. The sunburned leaves may wither and fall off, don't worry about that. But keep an eye on leaves that seem otherwise healthy and then yellow and fall off - that's a water/soil issue.

Make sure when you re-pot in the new soil mix that you give the plant about a week to adjust (don't water during this time, and don't expose to direct sun). They are sensitive during this period. Afterwards, you can slowly introduce to full sun. I hold off on water after repotting until I see new growth.

Good luck!