Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david90531

My first succulent dish garden and other plants

DavidL.ca
9 years ago

Hi all! Although I'm only a succulent enthusiast for a bit over a month or so, with all your help I've come to know these amazing plants well and truly fell in love with all the different kinds of plants. I live in an apartment, so the space I have is very limited, just the window sill that gets just enough sun (I hope) for my plants to be pretty healthy so far. I just wanted to share some pictures of my succulents here as thanks to all your help!

This is my first succulent dish garden, I've been looking at different arrangements and designs online and finally received the three plants I needed in the mail yesterday and voila!
{{gwi:564185}}
The container is a 8.5-inch ceramic pot with draining hole and a saucer, saw it at a local nursery and thought this would be perfect!

The plants in here are, in order of appearance:
- Anacampseros rufescens
- Haworthia attenuata (zebra plant)
- Parodia erbescens (not sure?)
- Klanchoe thrysiflora (paddle plant)
- Senecio kleiniformis (spearhead plant)

{{gwi:564186}}

Some of them are a bit shriveled up during the mailing process, hopefully they will be back to their normal shape and grow nicely soon

And here are my other plants, most of these I just repotted with 50/50 soil mix as I worked on my dish garden:

Pachyphytum oviferum (moonstones)
{{gwi:564188}}

Echeveria Pulidonis
{{gwi:564190}}

Sedum morganianum (donkey's tail)
{{gwi:564192}}

Unknown echeveria (poor thing suffered from lots of things before I bought it, and then it was unbalanced so it fell...the flower stem broke off :"(
{{gwi:564194}}

Kalanchoe tomentosa (panda plant)
{{gwi:564196}}
{{gwi:564198}}

Crassula perforata 'Variegata'
{{gwi:564200}}
{{gwi:564202}}

A slightly bigger haworthia
{{gwi:564204}}

And.... lastly a silly moon cactus as a gift from friend
{{gwi:564206}}

Groupies!
{{gwi:564209}}
You can see a venus flytrap hiding at the back, I found the plant quite amusing so got it, it has very different living habits though.

Anyways, sorry for the long post! I just wanted to share my joy because this is basically all I can handle, since the space is already filled :( But I'm sure if I see something I love I'd probably get it anyway :P

Thanks for viewing!

Comments (15)

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Very nice! My carnivorous plant's live amongst my many succulents and cacti aswell! Just rememberr to use distilled water in a tray method for your Venus fly trap, and the more sun The BETTER for all your plant'. !

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

It's beautiful!
    One thing I'm going to ask.. is .. Did you research each plant to make sure they are all compatible in a dish garden? Do they all share the same growth season/ times to water? That's important to know when putting together a dish.

Oh.. and when you run out of window sill.. there's always the option of a shelf. ;-)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

David

That is very nice, and you have other nice plants too (hope they are all out of original potting mix?)
    Having just a window could be little challenging, but not impossible to grow them well.
    Just be aware that some will grow bigger (like the paddle plant) and be too large, eventually, for a group pot.

Also, if there isn't enough light, they will be etiolated just like your echi that fell over. Ask me how I know:-)
    I have outdoors, but over winter they have to stay inside, and all of them look pretty sad from not enough light. I just did major "head chopping" on at least 10 plants, see example in the photo - that poor thing should never look like this.

Watch them closely, and if you see they are stretching for the sun, maybe you could install some extra lighting over them, like a shoplight, with few fluorescent tubes. Just a suggestion...

Very nice plants, enjoy them.
    You may be buying more soon, lol!
    Just as jojo said, there is always a possibility of additional shelve in the window, the shelving system in front of the window and so on.

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 14:37

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all for all the nice comments and suggestions!
    @KittieKAT haha that's awesome! Yes mine has been drinking distilled water (as well as my succulents) and also I use the tray method so the soil is always moist

@jojosplants yes I certainly have! Most of them require full sun/part shade, the haworthia and anacampseros need more shade than the others, but again I just have an apartment window sill so that's not too bad for both requirements. In terms of watering I believe they are also similar, and I'm going with the "if unsure, don't" policy when it comes to watering. So something like once a week. And since these just got repotted, I'm going to follow most people's suggestion and don't water until maybe a week later

@rina thank you! Yeah they're mostly out of their original potting mix other than the crassula. As for the size of the plant, I am thinking that with the condition I give them it shouldn't be growing too fast, but yes one day I will have to rearrange everything. I will keep an eye on any etiolated plants!

@Averil aw thanks for the compliments, I spent some quality time to find the plants I like that will likely survive an indoor environment. Also there's only one or two Canadian sites that would ship so I was lucky to find a good one. I actually have that donkey's tail for a good 2 years or so now, it was a gift for a family member so way before I became succulent crazy and I just thought it was kind of cool xD. But yes it's growing quite nicely although the leaves come off with the slightest touch (is that normal?). I have also recently repotted that one, hopefully it will be even healthier soon. Haha, I do have a guest room window sill for me to fill too, but I won't be able to see them as much that's all!

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Great! Your all set then! :-) it's beautiful! I love mixed dishes! Is that a chunk of Luffa I see in it? I grew them a few years ago.. They are so cool!

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Nice display dish. I, also, especially like the chubby leafed plant in 2nd pic.

• averil
    9 years ago

David, yes the donkey's tail will drop its leaves very easily so I imagine doing a repot is a nightmare, however the leaves can just be put back in the pot and should root. I've heard folks say you can root them on damp kitchen roll as well
    Enjoy your day

• suivezmoi
    9 years ago

That dish is great. I vote you do one for me ;), I feel utterly at a loss when it comes to arranging plants. I know I thought I was going to use my window sill, but I got way too many and had a gnat invasion problem so they have been moved to the porch.

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

If you have a gnat problem, your soil is holding too much moisture! These plants need a well draining soil.

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@jojosplants haha it sure is! I didn't grow it though...it was in one of the gardening decor package that I found at IKea

@averil I see, at first I thought they weren't doing good that's why it's so easy to knock them off the stem, yes I have saved a lot of leaves they are all sitting in a propagation pot right now, I think few of them began to root!

@suivezmoi thank you! Haha all I did was read this forum, watch some youtube videos (some of them would tell you it only takes 5 minutes, but that's a big fat lie haha, at least for me it took quite awhile getting everything done plus clean up..), and also google some succulent dish gardens for ideas! Good luck with your gnat problem...definitely don't overwater, the pots should be dry most of the time

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Argh... severe thunderstorm today and I wasn't home to close the window up, so pretty much all my plants got a nice shower... I was planning to not water them for a week because of repotting. Hopefully this won't kill them or anything @@

• coralee298
    8 years ago

THANKS EVERY ONE, i AM A BEGINNER AND LOVE AND NEED ALL THIS INFO.

• coralee298
    8 years ago

WHAT IS THE 50/50 SOIL?

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    8 years ago

50% soil (cactus/succulent soil) and 50% perlite. Although most people here will tell you that's still not optimal for most of the succulents, but it is a quick fix