Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unusual leaf

Posted by landruc 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 12 at 12:22

I bought this particular Echeveria because of this particular leaf. When the leaves below it have withered, I'll probably remove it and try to propagate it, though I've never had success propagating unusual leaves.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unusual leaf

For folks interested in carunculation, that's an excellent example.

I'd suspect you'd be able to propagate it more easily if you took a lively leaf and try to propagate it from the stem tissue end. Usual conditions apply for making plants from leaves of Crassulaceae.

o

Heed the words of a master.... Jeff has very good advice. You will be significantly more successful growing a new plant from a leave that is fresh and has the stem end intact. I have done this several times with various Echeveria. Like any other cutting, you must allow the leaf to callous for a few days. Having said this, I find it to be much easier and more "fruitful" to behead a tall plant and allow the stump to grow new plants. They mature much faster into reasonably sized plants.

o

No, I've propagated from leaves before, but never from a leaf that was unlike the rest on a plant. I've tried a bifurcated Graptoveria 'Fred Ives' leaf and a convex Echeveria decora leaf, but both failed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here