Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cut back my large jade

Posted by stothet (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 12:34

So my large jade (about 3.5' tall, 4.5' around) was starting to look very sad (see photos). Branches were falling off, and the new growth was very spindly. I've had it for about 2 years. The first year, it was very happy in our sunny kitchen. Then we got new windows that block out lots of things that are beneficial for plant growth (not sure of scientific wording, ha).

I was told by a local jade expert to just cut it back, repot it and start fresh. So far, I have cut it back (see photo). Now it will be a lot easier to repot. However, I am looking for some advice on repotting. I am going to buy well draining soil today, and I also have a large amount of turface. Is there anything else I should do before/while I repot? I want to ensure that it will be happier! I will be placing it outdoors and controlling the amount of sun it gets.

Also, as you can see, I have made many cuttings (see photo). Should I just put root powder on them, and let them be for awhile (how long?)? Ive made large cuttings on this in the past, and they have all died. In the past, I put rooting powder on, then stuck them in soil after 3 days, and didnt water until I saw new growth. After a few months, they had all died.

Please let me know your overall advice on this process. I have only been working with succulents for a few years and still have a lot to learn.

Thanks so much!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cut back my large jade

Wow thats a massive jade and a MASSIVE cut back! it looks great :-))

o

This was bold. Very impressive. I would love to see the results of this project. How many cuttings did you end up getting from the parent plant?

Here is a link that might be useful: Envi Sci and Fshyplnts

o

O.K. I'm jealous !

o

Nothing is better for a large, spindly jade than cutting it back. Great job! I take it you are in a warmer place than I am, so putting it outside is okay for you. I cut mine back two springs ago, and just put it outside in full sun after it was done frosting here. Full sun gives the new growth a nice reddish tint. The cuttings should be left aside to harden off,and then put in dry, fast draining soil, out of the sun until they root maybe, maybe misted, but not sure how humid it is where you are. Once I left some cuttings with leaves laying upside down on bare dry clay soil all summer long having forgot about them. They rooted from their skinny top stems, got new growth from the top that went up, meanwhile their thick stem parts were sticking straight up as well! Very odd U-shaped plants they were! So you need less water than you think to get cuttings of jade to root. Yes do keep us posted as to how it all turns out.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 19, 11 at 0:01

Nice rehab. Try to get it a sunnier spot so it doesn't get all spindly again.

o

Good job! Few have the courage to cut back so severely, though if it were mine, I might have cut back even more! Your plant will show its gratitude once it starts sending out new growth.

Christopher

o

I'm sure it's covered in lots of new growth at this point.
An update would be awesome.

Josh

o

YES would love to see a update too.....linda

o

Good Lord! Echoing a few other posts, that IS a large plant, and a MASSIVE cutback. Has it always sat in the spot you show it in the photos? I'm not sure about the windows, but with those blinds down like that, you definitely want to find it a place with a lot more sun. The "spindliness" is known as etoiling - the plant is essentially stretching itself in search of more sunlight. (I have a number of indoor jades that have done the same thing.)

I don't believe you'll need any sort of rooting hormone. Just follow ASeed's advice, and all should turn out well. You'll have quite a lot of jade plants fairly soon. :)

*CG*

o

I'm surprised that your cuttings died. I just stick mine in the soil and they root. One trick with Jades is to keep pinching the two small leaves growing at the tops so that it branches out.
What is sad to see today is what passes in the stores as "Jade Plants" are really a bunch of cuttings stuck together in a pot.

o

Stothet, please forgive me. I don't mean to steal your thread but I couldn't help ask the opinion of others who have already commented. I have had the pictured plant for more years than I care to count! Every couple of years I do some "pruning" to keep its shape and remove some of the etiolated branches, which I toss because there are so many and I have nothing to do with them. During the Michigan summers (from late April to mid October) I drag it out in the sun and by this time of year it abounds with bunches of white flowers. Because of its size, I winter it in the door wall, because I have no other area in my home; I know there isn't sufficient light but this is the best I can do. This past summer it received less sun so no flowers this year... that's OK because, as you know, when they dry out they are a mess to clean up! Anyway, getting back to the question: I've never cut my plant back as much as yours because I'm fearful it won't grow back. Is this fear unwarranted? Should I take the plunge and next spring get out the machete? What do you all think?

Photobucket

o

Yes, prune it back judiciously!

It's a great looking Jade that deserves to have some of its trunk and branch structure shown off.
I wouldn't wait 'til Spring, either - I'd start removing the small, droopy, and downward hanging
growth right now. Then, late in Spring, I'd make the more significant cuts once I had an idea of
the ultimate shape in mind.

Josh

o

BD,

Crank the Husqvarna up and have at 'er - your fear is completely unwarranted. I'd think that within two weeks you will be seeing new nodules of verdant joy forming, assuming you follow Uncle Josh's advice re slicing and dicing. The regrowth will be happening, assuming you give it some sun in the winter, just at the depths of winter, so it's a game changer in terms of seasonal affective disorder - look at me, I live in a forest of them and I'm happy as clam can be. Do be careful about the watering (little sips around the base of the plant) but after the 1st month, I daresay you can give it a shot of fertilizer with the water. Watching you cut it would be quite Youtube-worthy - just think what a difference you could make in the lives of us of slash for no cash. That's a really nice plant now that would benefit from some divinely inspired machete work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here