Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To separate Jade or to not?

Posted by valeriev z9 Bay Area CA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 12:40

Hi,

I recently gave my jade plant a major haircut. She was soooooo huge. In trimming her, I realized, there are TWO separate plants in the pot.

Should I separate the plants or keep them both in the same pot?

During haircut - half way through
Jade Plant

After haircut
IMAG0663

Close up of two trunks
IMAG0662

Thanks!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To separate Jade or to not?

Valerie,

You got to keep on cutting - that's at least two plants there, and you're doing so well so far. Don't stop until you get enough separate plants.

o

It depends whether you want a bush or tree style. I prefer a single tree, but this is just a matter of opinion.

o

I would. Also it will give you the opportunity to place it in a better mix(yours looks too rich, I'm sure w/peat that kills jades) research discussions on this forum about Al's Gritty Mix. Proven to be the best for succulents.

if you decide to repot choose pots according to root mass. jades generally have small root system.

Also want to tell you that you are very brave to chop so much

Inna

o

Thanks guys. I think I will separate them and have one be a bush type and one a tree type.

I haven't had any problems with the soil mix. I may add more perlite though when I repot them. I don't believe the mix has peat. The plant was so top heavy I had to put in a bigger pot. Perhaps I will do down a size and keep them trimmed up.

o

Pumice would be better than Perlite if you have access to it. It should be at least 50% of the mix. Mix should be kind of loose, not to compact roots, water run immediately out of the pot.

Inna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here