Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suculents in ground

Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 12:52

I was thinking about putting a few of my succulents in the ground for the summer and then putting them back in pots for the fall/winter. I'd start with a pony tail palm and maybe a desert rose. Has anyone living in a similar climate done this? Does it increase or hinder growth?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suculents in ground

Rob, sounds like a good plan which should kick start the growth and then it'll look nice once you place it back in the pot. They don't have deep roots so it won't take much work preparing the soil, if you can post some pictures, ima bout to do the same.

Greg

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 14:03

Greg,
Being in California, I assume you have 7-8 good months or more of good growing. In Ohio, I might have 5 months. My only concern is disturbing the plants so many times in a short period. Is the growth worth the stress on the plant?

Rob

o

You might want to keep them potted in a large terra cotta pot and bury the whole thing. you can unearth it and easily take in the plant without overly disturbing any roots.

-Ming

o

Ming took the words out of my mouth, Rob. Burying the pot is ideal for the roots and the overall health of the plant, IMO, but with short-rooted plants such as your Beaucarnea, I'd put it directly in the ground and dig it up in September - the growth you'll get should be fairly great.

o

Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 22:22

Life's too short. I decided to put a Jade, a pony tail palm, and a desert rose all in the ground. If it works, they'll grow and I'll be happy. If not, lesson learned. I'll try to get a picture sometime this week. If the jade does well, I might put some of my bigger ones in the ground next year.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Rob

o

Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 21:20

Jeff,
Any suggestions on watering these in the ground? We've had some rain, so I'm not worried now, but when the heat of July and August hits, they might need some extra water. How much and how often?

o

About once a week, Rob. Are they showing new growth yet?

o

Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 6:57

No growth, but the Pony tail has a nice red color. I'll keep you updated over the summer.

Thanks for the help.
Rob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here