Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vwang_gw

My love plant is dying help

vwang
10 years ago

I'm not sure of the name of my succulent but I call it my love plant my husband got it for me when we first met several years ago it went thru some terrible times but I was able to save it by rooting it in water but for some reason it took many months before I got a good root so finally I planted it it was doin well started to grow good but now it's turning kinda a dark color an seems like its drying up I don't want this plant to die it has so much meaning to me an ive done so much to keep it alive I'm uploading a photo please help me identify what it actually is an anything I can do to help I water it every other day or so not with much water I just don't know how to care for it in the best way an I've done so much for it to survive so please any advice is appreciated

Comments (6)

• dorianscale3
    10 years ago

Seems to be an aloe...from limited experience. I would limit watering to once a week (during summer) and let the soil dry out completely between waterings. Make sure the soil is fast draining (high perlite or vermiculite content) to reduce the chance of root rot. Succulents hate being in pools of water. I might consider repotting the plant in a terracotta or hypertufa planter to enhance drainage. If you choose to repot and observe black roots, remove these immediately to reduce chance of the mold spreading. You could additionally take a cutting from that healthier growth on the left side of the plant, let it callus over for 24-36 hours and then replant in fast draining soil. Hopefully it will take root after 3-4 weeks.

Also, make sure to place in indirect sunlight for most of the day.

Hope this helps. Best of luck...keep us posted.
    Thanks, -Nick

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

I believe it is an Aloe juvenna. (There is another succulent which has the common name of Love Plant & it isn't yours...but an Anacampseros rufescens. Cute that you call it that though.)

First, take the plant out of that soil mix. Let it dry out. Find some Perlite, small gravel, or pumice to mix in (a lot) to get a well draining mix. Repot your plant (into a smaller pot-your plant is swimming in that one), but don't water for a week or 2 (or more). Place it in sunniest spot you have (windowsill-bright sun window-outside, partial shade at first-more later). Ignore it for a while. This is a survivor plant. It needs more sun. It has etiolated (stretched) & should be more compact.

IF the brown parts (leaves) are mushy, those portions are goners & should be removed.

Too much TLC is not good for succulents. You're loving it to death. Just kidding! SOS program is better (Sink Or Swim)! LOL

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

To the person suggesting vermiculite, that's not a good idea for succulents, as it too holds moisture.

Just lots of extra perlite would do the trick, no vermiculite at all pls.

I agree it's an Aloe & it's in the wrong kind of mix, which is sort of drowning it, sorry.

• xerophyte NYC
    10 years ago

As others have said: remove it immediately, throw away the rotted parts (which may end up being the entire taller stem, the smaller one looks OK), and replant into a better soil mix (search the forum for discussion on ingredients).

Please keep in mind that Aloes do not make good houseplants. If your intention is to keep them indoors, you are likely to continue having problems with this plant in some form or another. It takes a lot of effort to grow them well indoors. You will have much better success if you can grow it outdoors somewhere for most of the year, and bring it in during the cold winter.

• dorianscale3
    10 years ago

I'll keep that in mind about vermiculite. Thanks for the correction.

• dorianscale3
    10 years ago

I'll keep that in mind about vermiculite. Thanks for the correction.