Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fluffyclou

Is this plant ok or is it rotting?

FluffyClou
10 years ago

This was given to me in a pot. I have been watering it and I realized that the the plant has been sitting on water for a while. It was placed in a pot with holes, and this pot was placed in a pot without holes - so it's like a pot in a pot.

I took it out and I am not sure if it is ok. Does it look okay or is it rotting? How do I know if it is rotting?

Thanks! I am new to this and I am hoping this plant will survive.

Can anyone also help me ID this plant? Thanks!

Comments (18)

• FluffyClou
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the other picture of the plant.

I apologize to this plant for over watering it ~~

• FluffyClou
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I took them out of the pot and they look like this. Are they suppose to have roots, or is it really like this?

• dorianscale3
    10 years ago

Just to be safe, I would make fresh, hygenic cuts at the base of the stem and let them callous over for 2-3 days. Then replant in fast draining soil.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Nick's advice assumes that that stem is viable - it looks to me you have to cut high up on the stem to reach healthy tissue, but I hope I'm wrong and Nick's right.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

As an added safeguard, take some household cinnamon & sprinkle it on the cut ends after letting them callous, then shake off the excess cinnamon & plant DRY.

Cinnamon acts as an anti-fungal & is cheaper than rooting hormone which often contains anti-fungal for the same reasons.

• paul_
    10 years ago

Alas! Jeff neglected to mention just what he means by "high up" or how you will know you have reached "healthy tissue." So I will take a stab at reading his mind.

Typically, when a stem has been cut, the healthy inner tissue is green or even whitish or translucent (depending upon just what type of plant one is examining). If the inner tissue is black, brown. or discolored (dirty/stained/uneven in appearance) the tissue is dead or unhealthy.

As far as "high up", I suspect Jeff was thinking all the way up to where the stem is visibly green. Probably starting at 1/2 inch (or 1cm) above the brown stem demarcation. (If the inner tissue has one of the "unhealthy markers" mentioned above, cut the stem again higher up.

If I am wrong, I have no doubt one of the good folks here will correct my erroneous ways ..........

• FluffyClou
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Nick, Cactusmcharris, pirate_girl, and paul!!!
    I appreciate the help and the information given!

I will try to start cutting at the base of the stem, and cut high up if the tissue seems to be dead or unhealthy. I will also see if I can get some household cinnamon :)

Just to make sure, what do you mean by plant dry? -.-
    The whole plant should be dry, but does that include the soil? Is it okay if the soil is a little bit moist?
    Thank you!

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

No, dry means the soil needs to be dry--everything dry. :) It should basically be kept entirely dry until you can feel that the plant(s) have rooted. You shouldn't water succulents that do not have roots because without roots there's no way for the plant to take up water, and that leads to rot.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

No, dry = dry, the plant stays dry, the soil stays dry. Not even a little moisture, 'cause w/out roots the plant can't take up the water, so it'll just encourage rot instead.

Pls. be reminded that the significant feature of succulents is their ability to hold water in reserve in their fat, fleshy leaves (that's their job). So it'll get its water from there.

Unlike Houseplants or tropicals, which usually are watered in when planted or potted up, we don't water in succulents. If they have roots we wait a few days to water, if no roots, we try to wait to water until we see new growth.

• FluffyClou
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah, I see. I was a little bit confused - I still am. I am new to this, but I will continue reading and studying about plants, and succulents in particular.

So I need to plant it dry and soil stays dry, as well. Okay.
    Hmm, how do I know if there is new growth? Do I give it a little tug after a few days or after a week?

Thank you, pirate_girl!

By the way, is this plant an Aeonium or an Echeveria?

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

New growth will be visible as new growth, like maybe a tiny leaf up top or roots along the stem (aerial roots). Not a few days, more like several weeks. I don't tug on my plants, I wait to see new growth coming out the top.

While not disastrous, tugging on the plants (even gently) breaks the tiny roots we're trying to encourage to grow in the first place, so you essentially make it start over.

Sorry, but patience is required for this. Could be a couple of weeks or a month or more, depending on the plant & circumstances.

Oh, this is an Aeonium (schwartzkoff or atropurpurem) I forget which.

Echeverias are rosette forms, more close to the ground, Aeoniums usually have stems under their rosettes.

• FluffyClou
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you teatree and pirate_girl!

I will keep both the plant and soil dry :)
    Cinnamon sticks is okay, right? Cinnamon sticks are the only ones I have here and I don't really use cinnamon. I will have to grind it first then use it.

Thank you also for the clarifications! :))

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

I wouldn't use cinnamon stick & grind it. Supermarket bakery aisle, usually has powdered cinnamon.

• FluffyClou
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alright, thanks pirate_girl!

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Anytime & good luck w/ it!

• FluffyClou
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, one more question regarding planting cuttings dry.
    Does this apply to all succulents - like kalanchoe tomentasa, etc? what about cacti?

Just making sure because I have seen a video where they put leaf cuttings in mini greenhouse. But maybe I am wrong, I do not remember if the leaf cuttings were succulents or not.

Thanks!

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

Yep, yep. You want succulent and cacti cuttings to root dry.

• FluffyClou
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, teatree!
    I am still a little bit confused. I have been reading about how to propagate kalanchoe tomentosa. For this plant, do I have to wait for it to root before inserting it in the soil?

Are there some differences on how to propagate succulents? Does it depend on which succulent?

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert