Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shaunamcg

lithops winter care

shaunamcg
9 years ago

Hi all

Last year I got some lithops from a big box nursery. I managed to keep them alive for a year before they died during the regeneration process. I learned a lot that year about their care.I now realized they were pretty much doomed from the start.
Back in February I got a bunch more from a specialty nursery and they are so much healthier than the big box ones ever were. They are in a proper mix and I understand their watering needs a lot better.
Anyway, they live outside now, but I'm not sure the best care for them over the winter. I gather that they need cooler night temperatures, but in front of every window in my place is a radiator. I have crates on the radiators that my plants live on. But will that be too warm for lithops?
I live in Victoria BC canada, so it's very grey and rainy all winter, but also very mild. It barely gets below freezing most years. Could they live outside in some sort of makeshift greenhouse protected from the rain if they are kept frost free?
Also, do they need much light during the winter? I have a cold room that my cacti live in during the winter when I get them to go dormant, would that work?

Sorry for the long post, but I'd really like to keep these guys alive for as long as I can!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
SparkWise Electric (aka Max Electric)
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Expert Electricians for Electric Service and Lighting