Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fluffyclou

Repotting but plant is not coming out

FluffyClou
10 years ago

This seems to be a really simple question, but I have to ask..

I would like to transfer this plant to another pot, but I cannot seem to take it out of its pot.

I cannot really squeeze the pot since it's not plastic, so I tried using popsicle sticks.

What can I do? Are there other techniques in doing this - I do not want to break the pot >Thank you!

Comments (11)

• User
    10 years ago

Hi Fluff,

You could try knocking the pot against the table a time or 2, sort of to dislodge it. Knock it half way up the pot, that should help.

OR

Try inserting a pencil or pen in drainage hole (up from the bottom) & push upwards from there.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

I've been in Plant Triage for the past week, having a lot of experience at this very thing! I have plants squeezed in much tighter than yours. One, I am still working on.

If What Karen said doesn't work, more things to try:

Use knife to slide in along edges you can access.
    Moisten soil first.
    Grab plant around its sides, squeezing plant a bit, while tapping pot (so it will drop off) -over surface not too far away (don't need falling/breaking pot).

Last resort, break the pot! :D

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

Dip the plant into water for a few minutes. Plant slides out. Haworthias are forgiving this time of year, one good soaking won't hurt.

• laura1
    10 years ago

took me a week to recover (my back) after struggling to get an agave out of a pot that I DID NOT want to break.
    Lots of good advice and ideas here. Good luck.

• FluffyClou
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all of your advice!!! :))

Pirate_girl, I tried knocking the pot but the roots have come out the hole. Another thing is the pot seems to be layered at the bottom. I don't know how to explain it but I cannot try the pencil or pen strategy either because even though there is a whole in the middle, there is something blocking it so I cannot push the pen/pencil all the way up. The water drains at the side, then down the middle of the pot.
    I will try knocking it off again :)

Rosemariero, I will be trying that next. So it's okay to break some of the roots? Especially the ones that comes out at the bottom?
    Breaking the pot will be my last resort, indeed! :)

Dzitmoidonc, I am currently soaking the pot. Hoping it'll turn out fine :)

Laura1, I can feel my back starting to hurt now :D

Thanks again!!!

• User
    10 years ago

Hi Fluff,

I'm back, sorry you're still having trouble. Yes, it's fine to cut off the roots coming out the bottom, a Haw can recover fine from that. I can't imagine what they put in the bottom blocking access like that.

Aside from running a knife around edge as RoRo suggested, perhaps dig around the top of the mix a bit, around the base of the plants; maybe then you can dislodge them from the inner pot that way. Hum...

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I feel your pain. I am facing a many year old Claret cup cactus clump that hangs over the edge of its heavy ceramic 3 gallon round recurved pot. What was I thinking when I choise that pot! I don't want to break the pot but if I come to a choice between the too,I will choose the cactus.

• FluffyClou
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pirate_girl, thanks! After knocking, soaking, and running a popsicle stick along the edge a couple of times, I was able to get the plant out today, finally!!! >No more pain :))

I will proceed on cutting the roots then because they are all tangled together and I cannot separate them unless I do some cutting.

Wantonamara, I think I would do the same. I hope you can get it out without breaking the pot :)

Thanks again!!!

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

sometimes I use a spray of water out of the hose to get the dirt out gently from the roots. They I like to let them dry well for a couple of days before potting up.

• FluffyClou
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks wantonamara! I will try that too :)