Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plant ID and separation

Posted by Desert_Rosin CT (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 13:35

Hi all - my roommate has this succulent plant and I am not sure what it is, but I found that it has these little baby off-shoots that I would like to try to separate and put into their own pots... can anyone help me ID this plant, and give me pointers on how to separate the babies? they seem to be coming right off of the main stem of the plant, and so I am not sure if they have their own roots really...

Thanks!

L

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plant ID and separation

It is an Echeveria. Not sure on the type. It could be a Echeveria runyonii but there are a lot of E runyonnii forms and a lot of other Echeverias that look similar.

separating is easy. I cut them off. Sometimes if I pull them off the larger ones come off with a bit of root. I usually put them in a small pot of just rocks and I water or mist them. The rocks do not hold water but they create a moist atmosphere. I do this till there are a BUNCH of pink roots. Than I plant them in a a pot with a well drained mix.

o

So I can just cut the babies at the trunk of the mother, and even though they have no roots, they will re-root? I know many succulents have this ability, just wasn't sure if this was one of them...

o

All of the succulents i know of (maybe there is a few that dont, but i have never heard of any) reroot from cuttings. Echeveria in my experience is incredibly easy to reroot ... i took some leafs from and echeveria and stuck them in a corner and forgot about them, they sent out masses of roots and had plants growing out ... their roots traveled about 4 inches to a pile of dirt and grew into it, it was funny :D i wish i had taken a pic though...

o

I believe it is Echeveria secunda (previously E. glauca).

o

And yes, you can remove the pups and reroot them (easy) but I'd wait until The Pups were bigger - a larger plant is easier to reroot. Besides, the heat of summer is not the best time to root Crassulaceae (the Family your Echeveria is in), but it can be done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here