Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klyde_gw

Hardy opuntia care?

klyde
9 years ago

Hi all :)

I've just picked up three hardy opuntias (polyacantha's I think). They're in pots in a great drainy mix and will be fine there for a while. I was thinking of keeping them in pots as I am in the PNW and keep all of my hardies that way.

How do I care for them? Completely new to opuntias. How often to water? Fertilize like my other cacti/succulents? A friend has quite a few and they seem to have rot issues a lot. Overwatering problem or prone?

Your help would be very much appreciated as I've not been able to pull up much (taking into consideration growing in pots in my locale).

Cheers,
Klyde

Comments (17)

• klyde
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just pulled up a bunch of info - of course now that I'm looking in the right places LOL.

I'm still all ears though for advice as those little bad boys weren't cheap...

• klyde
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just pulled up a bunch of info - of course now that I'm looking in the right places LOL.

I'm still all ears though for advice as those little bad boys weren't cheap...

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

If they're in pots, they're much more susceptible to overwatering, so for this and other reasons (such as they grow better) I'd put them in the ground if that's an option. 1/4-strength regular fertilizer (like Miracle-Gro) during the late spring and summer, about 1x a month, will help them. Watering them once a week, depending on the weather (if it rains, you don't need to water), is about right.

• klyde
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now I'm ticked. I didn't post twice! (???).

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Garden Web Gremlins.. sometimes posts end up doubled. ;-) Good luck with your new cactus! Around here we just throw them in the ground and ignore, so I can't help any with their care.

• klyde
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ahhh okay.

Well I'll consider the ground then. Care much like others as well it sounds like, although good to know for certain (thank you CMC).

Cheers!
    Klyde

• klyde
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jojo :)

Opening up a whole new world for me. I've been skewered by the little $&@?! a few times already. Charming.

9 years ago

Just make sure your plantings outside are on an incline, if possible, due to the amount of rain you get. Even better would be a mound or raised bed, but they'll grow fabulously PIG'd (planted in ground).

• klyde
    Original Author
    9 years ago

PIG'd...chuckling.

What say you to amended foundation planting where it's hot and sunny? Very dry in that location and I would completely control the water 12 months of the year.

• 100mphtortoise
    9 years ago

I've got some opuntia up against my foundation and they grow like weeds and flower frequently,

9 years ago

Sure, that sounds like an ideal place, but the plants' growth will confirm / deny.

• klyde
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good to know. Foundation planting it is then.

Any tips on how to get them out of the pots, and into the ground safely? Not only for skewering but also the pads come off so easily (funny how 6 pads found laying on the ground ended up in my plants - let he who is without sin...;)

9 years ago

Wrap them in an old towel/carpeting and upend. Unless they're really rootbound, they should come out.

• marquest
    9 years ago

Years ago someone sent me 3 pads of each color. I had a area that was all rocks. I decided I would not remove the rocks. I sprinkled some garden soil on top of the rocks, less than an inch.

I emptied the box in the area and used kitchen tongs to set them up between the bricks and ran. They seem to shoot the needles at me without even touching them.

They have had 15'" of snow piled up on them and I have never had a problem. They are weeds. I do not think you could kill them if they are on rocks.

{{gwi:275662}}

• klyde
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my. That is truly lovely. Thank you for posting!

The promise of PIG...

A nursery told me the other day that these critters (or some of them) can shoot their spines/glochids. I laughed, but after what you wrote, am beginning to wonder.

9 years ago

It's good if you spray the pads first - the glochids don't dislodge as easily.

• klyde
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gotcha. Spray. Good to know! Thanks again :)

Lovely...