Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ferocactuslatispinus

Parodia ottonis sp. Blooming Soon!

Kaegen Lau
10 years ago

My little Notocactus is producing two very wooly buds and will shortly be blooming! Hopefully, they're carmine-red: P. ottonis sp. venclusianus looks most like my plant in spination, form, and coloration. Images coming soon!

Note: this is the same plant as the one I had to re-root last summer because it's roots dried out in the winter of 2011. I only have had this plant for about 2 years now.

Comments (16)

• 123Greta
    10 years ago

Yay! Congrats!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

PICS!!!!..???

• Kaegen Lau
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can get a picture or two up today. Many of my plants have already been growing well this Spring, especially my Dragon Fruit plant!

• Kaegen Lau
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The new photos:

{{gwi:565676}}

{{gwi:565677}}

Clockwise from top left corner: Ferocactus wislizenii, Echinocactus grusonii, Gymnocalycium friedrichii, Euphorbia flanaganii, Melocactus matanzanus, Parodia ottonis sp. venclusianus?, Ferocactus stainesii var. pringlei

Center: Hylocereus undatus sporting new growth (2nd offshoot)

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Your collection is coming along nicely, Kaegen! Looking forward to your bloom pix! =)

• auron22
    10 years ago

Your collection is beautiful :) I'm especially fond of your gymnocalycium. The flowers sound very exciting.

• Kaegen Lau
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! The flowers should be blooming any day now. The Gymnocalycium has already put out at least 6 flower buds, but I like to remove them to conserve the plant's energy. They're all just now starting to take off onto a growth spurt, and it'll be nice to cover up some of the etiolated material from previous years!

• Kaegen Lau
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This guy is really taking his time, I guess.

• Kaegen Lau
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the latest photo. I'm not totally sure it is a P. ottonis, now that I look at the length of the peduncle; I'll have to double-check.

{{gwi:565678}}

• Kaegen Lau
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Latest picture. There is no way this could be a Notocactus/Parodia species, judging by the length of the peduncle. I just might have a Lobivia mamillosa after all (I just read that it clusters rarely)!

{{gwi:565678}}

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Nice, big bloomer coming, whatever it is!! =) Yes, that other is a slowpoke!

• Kaegen Lau
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's the same plant I thought it was originally: a Lobivia mamillosa. It's got quite a beautiful flower.

{{gwi:565679}}

{{gwi:565680}}

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Wooweee, what a beauty! Nice shots! Thanks for sharing with us! =)

• laura1
    10 years ago

It is a beauty all right!

Funny I think (in my limited brain) that white flowers are b-o-r-i-n-g! There isn't anything boring about that bloom.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

the picts of Echinopsis caliochlora's flower and body are in the ball park. Just googling, Not a for sure ID , but worth checking out.

• Kaegen Lau
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're right! The stigma is much different in E. mamillosa. The sepals are narrower and greener also. It's funny how so many of the flowers of this genus look so much alike.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!