Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike48073

my succulants are gettin soft

mike48073
9 years ago

Hello I am new to this website and to succulants.
When I got them they wer a llittle ruff I have had them for about 2 weeks and I water them once a week they are in a south window and get full to inderect sun all day but today I saw that they are getting soft more so tword the bottem and help whould be awesome also IDs unknown

Comments (16)

• tweathers
    9 years ago

They look like echeveria but what kind of soil do you have them in if the soil is staying damp thats your problem usually when they get soft it's a watering issue

• tweathers
    9 years ago

Don't take my word that they are echeveria I honestly don't know I know they do kinda look similar to them

• mike48073
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Im not shure what kinda soil but it drys out pritty quick

• mike48073
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I took one out of the drit to see if the soil was wet but it was dry all the way down

• tweathers
    9 years ago

If it came out of the soil without the soil staying on the roots it's too dry

• mike48073
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok so I should step up watering abit? And what should I look for to see if it helps

• tweathers
    9 years ago

Don't let your soil go more than 2 days being completely dry like bone dry.. I have to water mine every 3 or 4 days outside in full sun. Yours should start firming up and standing up a little better

• mike48073
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok will try thank you vary much for your time

• User
    9 years ago

Sorry, I missed that you're growing indoors.

Are the rootballs hard to the touch? The soil I mean, that's what I'm asking about.

I suspect the dirt has hardened, which makes it impossible to absorb water, so even if one waters, the plant's not getting any of it, it's likely just running down the inside of the pot & out the bottom.

• mike48073
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok what should I try I love these plants id hate to lose them

• User
    9 years ago

Am repeating this question, which you haven't answered. Its answer matters.

Also, I did suggest you do some of the reading on mixes, have you tried that? It'll give you some idea.

At minimum, start w/ Cactus & Succulent soil (C&S for short) & then get perlite & add 50% of that to the C&S mix & that should be OK.

Also, pls. use punctuation, it's too difficult to read your posts w/out it.

• mike48073
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes root ball hard to touch

• User
    9 years ago

That confirms that the plants aren't drinking, that's why the leaves are going soft. You'll need to change that mix as suggested.

To understand the problem, pls. read the thread called "Plant Problems, Lots of them" as it explains clearly why this happens. Good luck.

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

For the time being, you can soak the root ball until it absorbs the water (just once, not every time). That will give your plant a drink and also make it easier to remove the old medium when you switch it out.

This post was edited by Lauraeli on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 23:48

• mike48073
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you they are already ferming up not at all as soft as they wer
    Thank you vary much for tyour help

• User
    9 years ago

Just so you know, if you don't change that mix, this is likely to keep happening (the mix hardening off & impeding the plant from drinking).

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!