Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lii_sama

I think it's a succulent...

lii_sama 6
9 years ago

Hello,

today got a cute cutting. I think it's a succulent, but I am unsure so I am asking this wonderful community for help:
{{gwi:566695}}
Closer:
{{gwi:566696}}
{{gwi:566697}}
The whole cutting:
{{gwi:566698}}

Comments (12)

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

No, I believe that's a cactus of some kind, tho' a tropical one, maybe a Rhipsalis.

I wouldn't root that in water, I'd root it in mix (African Violet mix) w/ 50% added perlite).

Any chance you can ask instructions where you got the cutting?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Epiphyllum

• lii_sama 6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

pirate_girl, I took it at my work and to tell the truth when they plant gets into corridor it means the plant is unwanted and the person who waters them doesn't know what it is. I agree about not rooting it in the water, but today I had no choice since I didn't get to plant it this evening. I browsed Rhipsalis section and I wonder if it could be Rhipsalis Rauhiorum?

hoovb, aren't they a bit less fragile? Ummm, I am not sure how to explain, but I think their leaves if I can call them like this are bigger and harder looking, also petiole is thicker?

• lii_sama 6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To bump the post:
    Could it be some kind of Lepismium? I am unsure about species because of two things (marked with red in the photo)
    {{gwi:566699}}

Also I will be using cacti and succulent soil with perlite. I know it's 50/50, but I have 1 kg of soil and 2 litres of perlite. Kg and litres isn't the same so how to make 50/50?

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

I don't know the plant you're suggesting. I'd go w/ the 2 suggestions you've been given. Either way, all 3 are epiphytic cacti, & that's all one needs to know to see they'd all take similar care, ALL being tropical, jungle cacti (not arid land).

Confusion btwn different weight measures can be confusing, but here's what I'd suggest:

Using only ONE container, measure 1 part soil & then 1 perlite & mix together. That's 50/50 or equal parts of each.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

You might throw in some wood chips and leaf mulch into the soil part of the formula.

• lii_sama 6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

pirate_girl, that's me being curious as to what I have brought home lol. Thank you for the advice, did as you suggested and planted him already.

wantonamara, unfortunately wood chips previously didn't work for me, perhaps the problem was with chips since I couldn't really find what I needed here. And we don't have leaf mulch as well *sighs* I even had problems to find a shop which sells perlite.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

You must be in an urban city. I was known to rob parks of there mulch in NYC when I lived there in "Pre-history". I should have said Composted wood chips. With these cactus, I like to copy what is found in the crowns of trees in jungle.

• lii_sama 6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wantonamara, I think it's because I live in the Northern part of Europe. My wood chips stayed moist all the time since it was cool and humid even in the room. My cacti soil was fine for them for a while, but I think the quality has decreased, that's why I decided to add perlite after I almost lost my Hatiora rosea and two EC to give the soil more airing quality.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

AHH, nothing stays moist here in Texas for long. The world is so different. How about access to expanded shale, scoria or pumice?

• lii_sama 6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's more humid in Latvia. This Summer it's very humid and cool since it's raining almost all the time and the temperature is only +15 C.
    I was lucky to get perlite, I imagine the reaction in shops if I were to look for shale, scoria or pumice. My cacti soil has coal, clay parts, gravel and with perlite adding to airing quality I hope it should be fine.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

gotta do what ya gotta do.