Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corey87

Aloe Vera

Corey87
9 years ago

When should I repot this and what kind of soil?

Comments (4)

• Becky
    9 years ago

Is it very top-heavy right now? As in, would a gust of wind or a stray ball knock it over?
    It looks rather tall for that container, which looks like the standard 4" pots you buy plants in. I'd recommend finding a wide, stout pot(look up Azalea pots) for it. I prefer terra cotta because it helps weigh down the plant and it dries out quicker, which is better for succulents and cacti.

You could probably go ahead and repot it now, just be careful not to break any roots. If you do, let the guy stay dry for a few days so he can callous over whatever got snapped or hurt.

As for the dirt, some people use a grit mixture(horticultural sand, pumice/perlite, and a dirt low in peat moss), while others buy Cactus and Succulent dirt, as well as perlite, and mix about half and half and use that. The latter choice might be easier since you won't have a large bin of stuff(perlite and C&S dirt both come in smaller 8qt bags), and it's only really two things you need.

Hopefully this was helpful-I'm still learning much about Cacti and Succulents, and there are more experienced gardeners here that would be able to elaborate more(or correct me if I'm wrong on anything)

• Corey87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok thanks so much for that info! It would fall over if a strong gust came. I repotted it in some c and s soil and mixed with some perlite. I actually did this before you responded and was not sure if I damaged some root while transferring. I have watered it already also. Am I in trouble?

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

Your mix sounds fine as long as there's sufficient amount of perlite in there. usually people say 40-60%. I usually don't water for a week or so after repot, but mine got rained on the 3rd day in and it was fine, so yours should be okay if you have good drainage in your soil and pot, also if where you live is not humid.

• Becky
    9 years ago

Agreed with David; if your mix is well draining enough, it'll be fine, just leave it alone for a week if you can.

It's easy to forget how hardy these little guys are when they're your babies. ;)

-Becky

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner