Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul__gw

Workin' on the tan

paul_
10 years ago

Little bugger is back out on the balcony for the summer. It does get a bit of shading from the plants on the stand above it during the hottest part of the afternoon, but the morning sun is still strong enough to "tan its hide".

{{gwi:567395}}

Comments (14)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

That's one of the best I've seen!

Josh

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Nice Paul. What species and where did you get it?

• noki
    10 years ago

What are those little green things? I think they start with a m and come from the Canary Islands, but I can't remember what they are called. Are they growing in there, or just fell in?

This post was edited by noki on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 21:56

10 years ago

Those green things look like they fell in from a nearby tree...

Biker, check the image (upper left) for the species ;-)

Josh

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Oh so that's H emelaye (a recent mis-IDed Haw of mine), nice, I like the tan.

The little green things, may I guess Monanthes? Don't know which, but very cool little form, reminds me of a morel, but green.

• paul_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

â¢Posted by bikerdoc5968
    What species and where did you get it?

LOL! As Josh mentioned, name is in the pic's upper left corner.

Howard you have one -- unless you somehow managed to kill the pup I gave you (which considering I know how well plants tend to do in you care is highly unlikely)!

â¢Posted by greenman28
    Those green things look like they fell in from a nearby tree...

No, Josh, no fallen tree refuse.

Her little buddies are pieces of Monanthes polyphylla that I put in there just to see if they would play nice together. heh (Was that the plant you were thinking of Noki?)

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

I'm glad you posted this, Paul. I went out to check mine that looks like yours. It is labeled as H. mirabilis v. badia, which I see is incorrect. (I must make a note to tell Ryan H. & go change posts w/it in it-my 3-headed monster.) I found an emelyae in my book that is a match! =)

Little green guy looks like Monanthes polyphylla. Good going, Karen & Noki!

10 years ago

Awesome! Karen nailed it ;-)
    I thought they were some type of Birch refuse!

Josh

• reggie
    10 years ago

That is one gorgeous haworthia there! How old is it? It has so many leaves.

Sporting a tan. I like it.

• brodyjames_gw
    10 years ago

Everything about that plant is PERFECT!!!!

Nancy

• notolover
    10 years ago

That plant has a better tan than I do. It's just lovely!

• paul_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

â¢Posted by Reggieee
    That is one gorgeous haworthia there! How old is it? It has so many leaves.

Honestly couldn't say, Reg. I've had it about 3yrs now, I think. No telling how old it was when I got it. I believe it is probably about twice the size it was when I first got it.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Finally potted up that one I think is the same as yours, Paul...with its CA tan. :P

{{gwi:567396}}

Also, my Monanthes polyphylla (misspelled in the pic) when it was in flower once.
    {{gwi:567397}}

This post was edited by rosemariero on Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 15:16

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Quite a nice tan, yes. Looking great:) If it were mine, I would look forward to some pre-emptive action to avoid the awkwardly-timed summer rain. It can happen. Eyes on the skies, my friend:) Obviously, some Haws are more resilient/adaptive and some even enjoy a light summer rain, those that experience it in nature. I've found more than a few species to be completely suicidal if you splash them in the heat of summer, such as Haworthia mucronata var. rycroftiana. You've had it for a few years so you probably have the hang of it.

Ro, thank you. I'm going to get to the bottom of this mirabilis var. badia thing. I took this picture this morning and I'm enlisting some outside, special help. I'll get back to you on this one. Also... we're both Ryan H. hahaha! I'm going to have to start using my middle initial.