Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Workin' on the tan

Posted by paul_ z5 MI (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 15:07

Little bugger is back out on the balcony for the summer. It does get a bit of shading from the plants on the stand above it during the hottest part of the afternoon, but the morning sun is still strong enough to "tan its hide".

June 2013 photo IMG_9528_zps6ec80e0e.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Workin' on the tan

That's one of the best I've seen!

Josh

o

Nice Paul. What species and where did you get it?

o

What are those little green things? I think they start with a m and come from the Canary Islands, but I can't remember what they are called. Are they growing in there, or just fell in?

This post was edited by noki on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 21:56

o

Those green things look like they fell in from a nearby tree...

Biker, check the image (upper left) for the species ;-)

Josh

o

Oh so that's H emelaye (a recent mis-IDed Haw of mine), nice, I like the tan.

The little green things, may I guess Monanthes? Don't know which, but very cool little form, reminds me of a morel, but green.

o

•Posted by bikerdoc5968
What species and where did you get it?

LOL! As Josh mentioned, name is in the pic's upper left corner.

Howard you have one -- unless you somehow managed to kill the pup I gave you (which considering I know how well plants tend to do in you care is highly unlikely)! Smiley

•Posted by greenman28
Those green things look like they fell in from a nearby tree...

No, Josh, no fallen tree refuse. Smiley

Her little buddies are pieces of Monanthes polyphylla that I put in there just to see if they would play nice together. heh (Was that the plant you were thinking of Noki?)

o

I'm glad you posted this, Paul. I went out to check mine that looks like yours. It is labeled as H. mirabilis v. badia, which I see is incorrect. (I must make a note to tell Ryan H. & go change posts w/it in it-my 3-headed monster.) I found an emelyae in my book that is a match! =)

Little green guy looks like Monanthes polyphylla. Good going, Karen & Noki!

o

Awesome! Karen nailed it ;-)
I thought they were some type of Birch refuse!

Josh

o

That is one gorgeous haworthia there! How old is it? It has so many leaves.

Sporting a tan. I like it.

o

Everything about that plant is PERFECT!!!!

Nancy

o

That plant has a better tan than I do. It's just lovely!

o

•Posted by Reggieee
That is one gorgeous haworthia there! How old is it? It has so many leaves.

Honestly couldn't say, Reg. I've had it about 3yrs now, I think. No telling how old it was when I got it. I believe it is probably about twice the size it was when I first got it.

o

Finally potted up that one I think is the same as yours, Paul...with its CA tan. :P

emelyae was tagged mirabilis v badia photo DSC_1380Haworthiaemelyaewastaggedmirablisbadia_zps9a5997ca.jpg

Also, my Monanthes polyphylla (misspelled in the pic) when it was in flower once.
 photo IMG_3757.jpg

This post was edited by rosemariero on Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 15:16

o

Quite a nice tan, yes. Looking great:) If it were mine, I would look forward to some pre-emptive action to avoid the awkwardly-timed summer rain. It can happen. Eyes on the skies, my friend:) Obviously, some Haws are more resilient/adaptive and some even enjoy a light summer rain, those that experience it in nature. I've found more than a few species to be completely suicidal if you splash them in the heat of summer, such as Haworthia mucronata var. rycroftiana. You've had it for a few years so you probably have the hang of it.

Ro, thank you. I'm going to get to the bottom of this mirabilis var. badia thing. I took this picture this morning and I'm enlisting some outside, special help. I'll get back to you on this one. Also... we're both Ryan H. hahaha! I'm going to have to start using my middle initial.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here