Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New mesemb - ID help

Posted by NDay25 8a (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 15:13

Hello,

I picked up this guy recently, but it was not labeled. I'd like to nail down a name. The skin looks like my Pleiospilos nelii, but obviously the form is very different. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New mesemb - ID help

Also, I repotted it from its original container. The plant seems tenuously attached to the root system, something I'm hoping some good sun and a bit more room to grow will cure. Any suggestions otherwise?

o

Anyone?

o

Sorry it's not fast enough for you, but pls. allow more than one day for people to respond. Sometimes it takes a few days &/or maybe no one who is currently around knows its ID.

Looks like something in the Crassulacae family to me.

Also, tho you didn't ask, that mix still looks very peaty from here & is likely to be a problem. I'd at least 30-40% Perlite to it.

o

It was disappearing to the second page and I was just bumping it. I just wanted to make sure it didn't get lost. Next time I will state that - I could see how a brief reply might seem impatient.

Thanks for your help.

o

Sorry, I mean to type I'd 'add' at least 30-40% perlite ...

Thx for clarifying, didn't realize you were just bringing it back up top.

o

It does look like a Pleiospilos of sorts. I was researching earlier, but hadn't figured anything definitive, so didn't say. I should've posted earlier what I thought it might be. Also figured Rian or Ryan (Beachplants or hanzrobo) would jump in here (know more about these guys). BUT...one has a new baby & the other a biz to run, besides 2 youngsters...SO, it may be a while before they show.

So, I'll say this...it looks similar to Pleiospilos compactus, but not quite. =)

o

One more bump and then I'll let it fade away:

My best guess is Pleiospilos bolusii, but the pictures of other specimen don't match. Maybe something else Pleiospilos, but I can't seem to find good pictures of other species.

o

I believe P. bolusii leaves are much wider. Also, it is my understanding it will only have 2 leaves at a time. If it ever blooms, I hear it smells like coconut!

P. compactus ssp. canus still looks like a good possibility to me. See link below.

It's okay to bump up your post to refresh memory, esp. when the board is hot & running wild! =)

Here is a link that might be useful: P. compactus ssp canus

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here