Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura1_

What in the world is this?

laura1
10 years ago

It is growing in my sansevieria pot. There aren't any other succulents nearby. I've never seen anything like it. Any ideas?
{{gwi:567430}}

Comments (37)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Laura

It is cute! Looks like baby toes to me - Fenestraria aurantiaca; does it have small 'windows' on top of each 'toe'? But I could be wrong...Yours are more compact & straight up, but this is indoors (basement) under lights & probably etoliated.
    Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 15:49

• laura1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

let's see if I can get a close up
    {{gwi:567431}}
    I don't know if that helps.
    No little windows on the tops.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Laura

It's probably something else. Whatever it is, it's really cute. Hope you are keeping it?
    Possibly 'sown' by birds/squirrels or similar, or seeds travelled by air to you...Rina

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Only other thing I can think of is bloom buds off this Sans (looks like a form of Cylindrica). It looks like bloom buds even tho' it would seem odd for them to break soil's surface like that.

Perhaps post it to the Sans. Forum & maybe someone like Norma may have seen this before?

I initially though Fenestraria too, but w/o the windows on top, perhaps not.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

pg

You may be right! I would never think of that, but I never had chance to see sans blooming either (didn't even know they bloom, until I read about on this forum).

Look what I found googling "sans flower buds":
    and here is the link to flickr page I found it on:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1379516@N20/pool/page2/?view=lg
    (Sansevieria hallii flowers 2
    by stefanosauro)

(hope it's OK to post photo and link; there is a close-up too; wow-how many different sans!).

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 17:42

• Danielle Rose
    10 years ago

I think PG is right! I've never seen anything like that before! Super cute, but no matter how many different shapes of the baby toes I saw, every photo shows some sort of window in the top of each leaf.

If they bloom, because to post another photo!

• laura1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OMG, Rina! You got it! This is a Sans. hallii and this is a bloom coming up!!! I've never seen anything like it, and of course this plant has never bloomed before. COOL.

thx all!
    Laura

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Laura

It was Karen (pirate girl), not me.

I only googled 'sanseviera flower buds' after I read her response.

Rina

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

OK, cool (curtseying here, you're welcome!), but pls DO post it at Sans. Forum as I'd guess all Sans folks will want to see it!!!

FYI: I've never bloomed Sans. myself, but have been around some while blooming (w/out realizing it). Cylindrica is amazingly fragrant (& delicious). I followed an astounding fragrance (as guest in someone's home) only to find a HUGE urn (like several ft. in diameter HUGE) of S Cylindrica blooming in someone's bedroom.

Also, once the blooms open (I hope you take lots of pix for us) , pls. be sure to sniff at different times of day (Hoyas often smell most strongly in evening, I've heard).

So congratulations appear to be in order -- hurray for you!!!

• laura1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

PG thanks for figuring this one out. It never occurred to me that it could be a bloom. I have quite a few sans. and many have bloomed but this is the total "wrong" time of year. None of my others are blooming. And coming up from soil level...very strange.

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Honestly, to me it does look like Baby's Toes, Fenestraria aurantiaca to me. I do see the windows, they are pretty clear in the photo. Where are the flowers? I don't see them at all.

Christopher

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi Chris,

I thought those are buds about to open, as in not quite yet, see the pic shown where they ARE open.

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Ah, you may be right, thanks for explaining. Fascinating, if they are indeed the Sans flowers...

Christopher

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Well,I am so glad that you didn't do anything rash like weed them out.

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

It looks like a Conophytum to me. The leaves have a split, right? Some are emerging from a sheath? It could be Cono rostratum or meyeri or something similar.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Christoper

Maybe you were looking at the photo I posted of baby toes?
    I could not see any 'windows' on Laura's.

Rina

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Rina, you are totally correct...Thanks.

Christopher

• laura1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

progress is slow. the little blooms(?) may be a little taller but pretty much the same...

• paul_
    10 years ago

â¢Posted by pirate_girl

... (Hoyas often smell most strongly in evening, I've heard).

Karen, this is quite true. In fact, with many Hoya, it is not uncommon for the fragrance to be substantially different in the evening from what it was by day.

Getting back to the topic at hand -- I find this is quite fascinating should these actually be flower buds. I was unaware that some Sans flower at ground level. The only ones I have ever seen in flower, did so like "normal" plants.

Perhaps a closer shot of the mystery vegetation?

• laura1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is an update on the progress of hallii bloom
    {{gwi:567432}}

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Laura

Looks really nice, like a little succulent forest...I am eager to see them opening.

How old is your san?
    I do not have any, but after looking thru the photos I found on net, and seeing yours, I just may have to get me some!

Rina

• laura1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

rina
    I've had this one almost 3 years and it has hardly grown. I suspect it wants more room to spread out. I got fischeri at the same time and I've given away divisions, leaves and have several pots of it around the yard. (It has yet to bloom) So you see some grow very fast and this one not so much.
    BTY I've never killed a sans. Knock on wood.
    Laura

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

I could be wrong about not having any sans - this one looks like a san:

• laura1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the long awaited...bloom! No flowers were opened at noon. When I took the dog out at 7PM (est) this is what I was greeted with

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

FAB-U-LOUS!!!

Not only do I enjoy being right, but I'm so happy for you. This Sans. is obviously happy in your care, so keep up the good work & enjoy!!

I've never had a Sans. bloom so I find this especially exciting, in combination w/ this odd & unusual form. Nature really does rock!!!

Paul,

Hi & thanks for confirming abt Hoyas smelling more strongly in evening. I haven't bloomed a lot of Hoyas in my apmt. but have smelled other folks' Hoyas. Didn't know they can smell different from day to night, kind of interesting.

I've also heard/read somewhere that sometimes white blooms are strongly fragrant 'cause their pollinators are moths -- who knows.

Anyway Laura, Happy Blooms & thanks so much for posting them for us to enjoy w/ you & be fascinated by!!!

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Wow! That's a lot of buds & blooms! Yippee! Do they smell good, Laura?

Yes, Rina...I believe that is a Sans.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Beyond words. My keyboard just shorted out due to my drool.

• laura1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for all your kind comments. It bloomed in spite of my neglect ;-)
    RM: there was a slight fragrance when I took a sniff early this morning but I forgot to check last evening.
    The blooms from yesterday seem to be fading already :-( but more blooms are coming along. Was hoping for one spectacular bloom burst but not to be. I guess this is natures way of getting the most from the pollinators. Seeds would be nice!
    Laura

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Laura

Great show.
    Good there is so many buds since individual blooms last only a day.
    Maybe it bloomed because of your neglect ;-)

Rosemarie

Thank you for taking time to look at my sans

Rina

• Danielle Rose
    10 years ago

Oh wow, those flowers are so fun! Thanks for catching a pic for us!

• paul_
    10 years ago

Neat flower show! I wonder what pollinates them? Considering their placement close to the ground I would expect ants or some other primarily terrestrial animal.

Karen, it is a fairly common trend across the plant kingdom that those species possessing white flowers (note I am making no allowances for man-made hybrids or the odd mutant) are fragrant and generally most fragrant or only fragrant at night. There are, of course, exceptions. Last I had heard/read, the general consensus was that white flowers are more visible at night, and since producing pigments is energetically "costly" night flowering plants do not "waste" their resources producing flower pigments their pollinators will never see. And of course, if one flowers at night, fragrance can greatly aid a pollinator in finding you.

• brodyjames_gw
    10 years ago

Laura,

That is AWESOME!!! Whatever you're doing or not doing, don't change a thing! Obviously, that plant is extremely happy.....good goin'! :)

Nancy

• teisa
    10 years ago

Laura,

I recently saw this type of Sans for sale at a lowes near me. what type is it?
    Is it fairly common as I've never seen it besides now.

Congradulations on your Gorgeous Blooms!

• laura1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks all for your kind congratulations etc.

Sans. hallii

I never see the neat things at my box stores that some people do :-(

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

No Teisa,

I don't believe these pop up so commonly. I'd buy it if given the chance. Could be a form of Cylindrica, or another kind of Sans. (like this one).

• laura1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

this is the last night for blooms so I thought i would share it, Keep fingers crossed for seeds.

• teisa
    10 years ago

Laura Your Sans Hallii is very pretty. Im so glad that it bloomed for you and hopefully you will get seed pod!

The Sans I saw at Lowes was different than your Hallii. I
    thought it looked very similar. (to my untrained eye it did, you may disagree) But yours looks a bit cylendrical in the picture. This is a picture of what I saw there.
    Thought I should clarify that up, since Hallii is very uncommon.

-Teisa

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor