Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tompompey13

18 year old jade plant need advice pleaseee

tompompey13
10 years ago

Evening all! 1st time poster here!! Rightt, I've allways loved what I belived to be a jade plant? We've had it in our home for atleast 18 years, and as you can see by the picture wich I hope I've attached, that the trunk is really thick. Lately it's gotten a little neglected and left to grow very uneven, spindly in places. So I decided to seriously trim the beast back! I hope I havnt made a rookie mistake and done it wrong? Some advice and comments wud really be appreciated! Iv really gotten into these plants lately and want mine to thrive as much as possible, I can upload more photos if some1 cud tell he how! Thanks alot
Tom

Comments (10)

• 0nametaken0
    10 years ago

Side view pics would help.

• tompompey13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more picture :)

• tompompey13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How's that? I gotta feeling a butchered it:(???

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

You kinda butchered it, I would have done a light pruning to balance it on both sides, the lobsidinness will continue until the other side fills in which will take a season or more

• mrlike2u
    10 years ago

The cut's look okay in my view normal to see dried /dead appearances on ends eventually it falls off You can also assist the ends off by an easy flip of the finger force type push or easy twist.

In the critical world of mine two months ago ( Take no offense is just what I would do) I would of cut back more on some of the cuts you already made to the thinner inside stringy branches and a bit more in areas you didn't cut.

It's also kind of a top of pot setting plant not sure why it's in that deep, but sometimes we like talking about the soil only to better your growing.

• tompompey13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yh kinda wish I'd taken some "before" photos aswell, as the growth was really irregular! I choped off quite alot it was scary! If a complete prune back was the best idea I wud Deffo be up for that? Regarding the pot I have no idea of the knowledge behind its choice unfortunately, but I can see why it wudnt be ideal for the plant! I've take lots of trimmings allready and already had success rooting them, I do these very big off cuts, wich I'm reallly looking forward to seein if I can get them to grow!?
    Tom

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Tom

Using large pot and soil that does not drain freely together would cause problem with any plant.

What kind of soil is it planted in?

Planting jade (or any plant) so deep also creates too much shade for the lower parts of trunks/stems.
    If it was my plant, I would plant it much higher (almost level with the top of container).
    If you like to keep that container, make sure the soil drains very well. Does it have drainage hole on the bottom?

Are you planning to keep it outside during summer? It will like it - if you have any outdoor area available.

Don't worry much about 'butchering' it right now, that can be corrected. Most important are the growing conditions, so your plant is healthy.

Cuttings are looking good, looks like there is new growth already. How long ago did you chop them off? You did right thing to keep them out of soil to callus (harden).
    If you plant them in soil, don't water right away as the plant without roots can't absorb water.

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 17:34

• tompompey13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm from England and are weather isn't the best, so was planning on keeping it in a south facing window with very good light! Yes they allready had regrowth wile they were attached to the main plant, your right, so jus gonna let em dry out for a few days then get em in some soil, can't wait! Feeling a little more confident about my pruning now tho, kinda think I shuda gone abit further! Thnks for the replys
    Tom

• mrlike2u
    10 years ago

Fancy up an razor knife like a dry wall blade or wall paper cutter use to flush the inner stringy sized stems to the branch.
    I'm with Rina thinking you'll be re-potting it at least one time in the future lets chat about the soil.

• tompompey13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great advice guys, can't confirm the soil used, looks fairly grity, part sand? Deffo gonna look at repotting it soon! Jus gtta hope it pulls thru it's haircut lol!!!

Tom