Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My christmas catcus is flowering IN JUNE !!!!

Posted by tropicalzone7 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 13, 09 at 15:56

I sucessfully get my christmas catcus to bloom every year, but it never blooms at the same time. I know for sure it is a christmas catus, but 2 years ago it bloomed in mid march, and last fall it bloomed a little after thanksgiving, and never made it to christmas.
Just today I realized that my christmas catus has buds on it, and alot of them. The buds are still small, but it looks like it should be in full bloom by mid july, where temperatures will be in the mid to upper 80s every day. Should I be worried. I dont have an idea at all why its blooming. I gave it plant food (which should encourage leaf growth, not flowers). I also gave it lots of water, and even some sun. Yesterday the weather was so humid that it poured out of nowhere for about 5 minutes and then the sun returned. The weather has been cool for june, but last weekend was average, sunny, and in the 80s, and this week was in the mid 70s and cloudy.
My questions are:
1. Will it continue to produce buds if we actually get some average temps. which are in teh mid 80s this time of the year)
2. If it does bloom now will I get some more blooms during the fall, or will it be sending out new leaves.
3. Should I decrease watering and keep it in more shade to encourage buds, or should I give it plant food, sun, and water like its been getting all along.

Here isare two pictures of it I just took. As you can see the buds arent very visable from a distance yet.

christmas cactus

christmas cactus blooming in june

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My christmas catcus is flowering IN JUNE !!!!

well when it bloomed around thanksgiving it was true to its species because this is actually a thanksgiving cactus..but hey enjoy the blooms anyways:) It looks good and healthy.

o

Thanks. I always wanted my christmas cactus to bloom in the summer, but I didnt know it was possible in my warm location. It looks like it has a mind of its own, but like you said Ill definately be enjoying the blooms. I will also be uploding pics probably in about 3 weeks of its first blooms.

o

Not a Christmas Cactus, but a nice plant no less!

Please do share blooms when they open.

Josh

o

Its not a christmas cactus? It does have almost identical blooms. Its blooms are pink, and when I bought the plant 3 years ago it was blooming around christmas. If its not a christmas cactus can someone ID it for me? Ill try to find a pic of it blooming last fall if that helps.

Thanks!

o

Prayerrock IDed it for you, just a post or two above:

Thanksgiving Cactus

You can tell by the "points" on the leaf-margins.
Christmas Cactus has smooth leaves.

Josh

o
RE: My christmas cactus is flowering IN JUNE !!!!

Here ya go!
This ought to show the difference in leaf-margin:

Photobucket

o

Thanks Josh..that is exactly right! The christmas cactus does not have points, nor does the easter cactus..It is a thanksgiving cactus.

Mary

o
contrasting pic

Josh showed you the christmas cactus..and this is my thanksgiving cactus...showing the contrast.

Thanksgiving cactus

Mary

o

I honestly didnt know their was a difference between the two other than bloom times until now. It turns out they have very different leaves. Thanks for the help. This the the first time I ever saw a thanksgiving cactus or anything in that family bloom in the summer. The weather's not suppost to warm up past the high 70s next week, so that should encourage even more buds. I cant wait until it blooms and will definately update its progress right up until its in full bloom.

o

It's been a really cool spring weather wise, I'm getting a bud or 2 on my thanksgiving cactus as well.

o

It looks like a very cool summer is comming too. Every day is forecast to be 6-10 degrees below the average which is 82ish and the sun refuses to break through the clouds on most days lately. At least the cold weather has its upsides.

o

Here it is now 2 weeks later. It looks like the first blooms will be comming this week. Also have not gotten much in the way of heat over here so the buds seem to be holding up really well

Buds on thanksgiving  cactus are getting large.

Close up
Thanksgiving cactus blooming in june

Will be posting more in the next few days.

o

Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving...are we missing any holidays?

o

The first bud is now starting to open and should be fully open by friday. Ill try to get some pics of the plant on the fourth of july.

o

My T-Giving cactus probably blooms 3 times a year....whenever it feels like it it seems!

o

Mine seems to know when people are going to see it most because it always blooms in time for some type of holiday. Over the past 3 years it has bloomed for thanksgiving, christmas, a little short of easter, and now fourth of july.
I think its in competition with the cannas because they look like they will both be starting to bloom at the same time.

o

here in australia they always blume in june. over here we call them crab claws. could it have swichted hemisheres somehow? dont no if this helps.

regards matt

o

Your cactus looks so healthy and I can't wait to see the flower in full bloom. I also found photo shows the blooming Christmas cactus.

Here is a link that might be useful: christmas cactus

o

Gardenlover,
the plant in that link is not a Christmas Cactus either.
You can tell by the "points" on the leaf-margins. Christmas Cactus is smooth.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here