Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Great find on a little road trip

Posted by PaulaZ 6A Pitts PA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 16:10

So my boyfriend and I went for our usual roadtrip Friday. Never any plans on where we go just follow the highways or gravel roads....if we have gas we are never lost. Followed Rt 40 National Road down to Brownsville PA. Passed 2 nice roadside greenhouses. One had some sempervivum which I bought but the 2nd one had what I consider a great buy. I would have bought all 5 if I had a) the space & b) more cash. This is the one I chose but left 4 behind with different selections of succulents & cacti in each. It was ONLY $25.00!

Further along out travel on RT 31 in Tarr PA we saw a greenhouse sign with OPEN sign. It was located behind house and had floral shop attached. Unfortunately..it was in bad disrepair. About 60 dead cacti/ ferns left but the owner did sell me 2 thriving cream colored Crown of Thorns(PIC to Follow) for $2.50 each.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Great find on a little road trip

2nd view some haworthia & staphilaid

o

• Posted by PaulaZ 6a Pitts PA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 17:41

Here are the new Crown of Thorn plants I acquired also

o

Paula,
Did your Aloe pictured in the first photo come with a name? I also have the same Aloe and all mine was labeled as was "Aloe ssp."

I really like those 'Crown of Thorns,' are they both white or ?

Planto

o

Nice finds!
Is the dark green aloe just one plant? it's huge!
They are all really nice!

o

Paula,
You and your boyfriend must got to Youngstown, Ohio. Right in the middle of town is Fellows River Side Gardens. WoW. what a place. Look it up on the internet. If you are into bike riding, they have the perfect trails.
We like to stay the night and catch a movie and dinner. We go the back roads and stop over some nurseries along the way. Once you go there, your hooked. Cost is $0. Oh and Gas is cheaper in Ohio than in Penn.
Stush

o

I was going to ask you where's your pictures. So here's some of mine.
Stush

o

More of Fellows Gardens

o

JoJo,
Yes that was one huge aloe but I seperated it and topped it. It had a double top so took them off and hope they root. There are lots of pups as well. Poor planter was so root bound I had to use butcher knife to get into any of them except staphs. I think I will have aloes up for adoption.

Stush.... we are putting Youngstown on agenda. I will call you to discuss some plants soon.

o

Last one for now. You can just sit by the water fountain and enjoy nature and what a garden display they have.
Stush

o

Paula,
I should have been more specific in my question. Did the Aloe in your first picture (the white/green one with the bloom stalk) have a name?

Planto

o

planto... None were marked so I have no idea. I am so new I wouldn't dare guess. I will take a close up and add later for ID purpose.

o

planto... None were marked so I have no idea. I am so new I wouldn't dare guess. I will take a close up and add later for ID purpose.

o

Paula,
Well shucks. Thanks for letting me know! I'll keep an eye out for your picture.

Planto

o

planto here you go the 2 large ones on left and pup

o

Wow, those are nice specimens! I purchased an Aloe a couple weeks ago that looks just like yours but it wasn't exactly labeled. I know there are numerous hybrids out there, so getting a proper ID may be difficult. If you ever find out what it is, let me know. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

I noticed that you're relatively new to the forum (and apartment "garden" like me... and we also live on the second floor). How long have you been growing succulents? How many do you have?

Planto

o

Well Planto....many years ago I was married and had a house in the hills of WV. That is when I actually fell in love with houseplants and esp. succulents.. Got smart after 33yrs and left HIM but lost the plants as well. LOL

Now 15yrs later with a GREAT guy I decided it's time to start my new family again! How many?
1-Tiger Jaws
2-Earth Stars
3-Staphilaids
4-Haworthias
5-Euphorbias
6-Mammillaria gracilis fragilis
7-Lithops
8-Agaves
9-Aeoniums
10-Aloes
11-Sedums
12-Jades
13-Sempervivum
14-Jovibarba
15-Crown of Thorns(3)
16-Ming Thing Cactus
17-Crested Cactus?
18-Kalanchoes
19-Dracaena
20-Sansevieria

You know I am tired of trying to remember them all.LOL

o

Paula,
I'm sorry to hear your first marriage didn't work out, but it sounds like it was for the best. My Mom had a lot of houseplants and lost them when she left her first Husband too. :\

Lol, thanks for sharing your list. You have quite the collection starting! There are a few folks on this forum that have in excess of 200-300 plants (and one of them is a teenager! I'm still drooling over his collection).

I also have a small collection, it's difficult to have too many in an apartment (is that the case for you too?) with limited space.

If you ever want to share pictures, I love pictures. :D

Planto

o

Well I discovered that the extremely tall aloe that was included in my planter is an Aloe Juvenna. At least it sure looks like it

Here is a link that might be useful: aloe juvenna

o

Planto,
I think the aloe we are trying to ID is Aloe Harlana...check it out

o

I used to own an Aloe harlana. This Aloe isn't Aloe harlana unfortunately. It has really shiny soft leaves (when I say soft, I mean you run your finger down the leaf and you don't feel any raised bumps... if that makes sense).

I think Aloe juvenna is correct. I can't remember if there's another look-alike that has the same growth habit and looks almost the same (or am I confusing myself here).

Planto

This is Aloe harlana (not my picture btw).

o

I'll do some searching later again and see if I can't find an ID for us too. Thanks for looking it up. There are so many Aloe hybrids and some start to look the same (especially when you get into the Kelly Griffin hybrids).

Planto

o

How about Doran Black?

o

Paula,
I also looked at 'Doran Black,' but I think the leaves on that particular Aloe are a bit wider than ours. I think I may have found it though. Tell me what you think. Google Aloe 'Lizard Lips,' does it look like yours?

Okay, I somewhat remembered correctly about your taller Aloe. There's another name floating around for Aloe juvenna, but it's not even a species if I read correctly. You may see people (or companies) label it as Aloe zanzibarica, but it's Aloe juvenna. So yes, you're right, it's Aloe juvenna. Good find! I thought there were two that looked almost exactly the same, but apparently all it was, was that it had been given two different names (now that's not confusing at all).

Planto

Here's Aloe 'Lizard Lips' (not my picture).

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 15:25

o

Boy it sure does look like Lizard Lips..... I think I will say that is what mine are and forget it! LOL

o

Paula,
Lol!

Planto

o

I need to get out more.
Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here