Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulaz_gw

Great find on a little road trip

PaulaZ
9 years ago

So my boyfriend and I went for our usual roadtrip Friday. Never any plans on where we go just follow the highways or gravel roads....if we have gas we are never lost. Followed Rt 40 National Road down to Brownsville PA. Passed 2 nice roadside greenhouses. One had some sempervivum which I bought but the 2nd one had what I consider a great buy. I would have bought all 5 if I had a) the space & b) more cash. This is the one I chose but left 4 behind with different selections of succulents & cacti in each. It was ONLY $25.00!

Further along out travel on RT 31 in Tarr PA we saw a greenhouse sign with OPEN sign. It was located behind house and had floral shop attached. Unfortunately..it was in bad disrepair. About 60 dead cacti/ ferns left but the owner did sell me 2 thriving cream colored Crown of Thorns(PIC to Follow) for $2.50 each.

Comments (26)

• PaulaZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2nd view some haworthia & staphilaid

• PaulaZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are the new Crown of Thorn plants I acquired also

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Paula,
    Did your Aloe pictured in the first photo come with a name? I also have the same Aloe and all mine was labeled as was "Aloe ssp."

I really like those 'Crown of Thorns,' are they both white or ?

Planto

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Nice finds!
    Is the dark green aloe just one plant? it's huge!
    They are all really nice!

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

Paula,
    You and your boyfriend must got to Youngstown, Ohio. Right in the middle of town is Fellows River Side Gardens. WoW. what a place. Look it up on the internet. If you are into bike riding, they have the perfect trails.
    We like to stay the night and catch a movie and dinner. We go the back roads and stop over some nurseries along the way. Once you go there, your hooked. Cost is $0. Oh and Gas is cheaper in Ohio than in Penn.
    Stush

9 years ago

I was going to ask you where's your pictures. So here's some of mine.
    Stush

9 years ago

More of Fellows Gardens

• PaulaZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

JoJo,
    Yes that was one huge aloe but I seperated it and topped it. It had a double top so took them off and hope they root. There are lots of pups as well. Poor planter was so root bound I had to use butcher knife to get into any of them except staphs. I think I will have aloes up for adoption.

Stush.... we are putting Youngstown on agenda. I will call you to discuss some plants soon.

9 years ago

Last one for now. You can just sit by the water fountain and enjoy nature and what a garden display they have.
    Stush

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Paula,
    I should have been more specific in my question. Did the Aloe in your first picture (the white/green one with the bloom stalk) have a name?

Planto

• PaulaZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

planto... None were marked so I have no idea. I am so new I wouldn't dare guess. I will take a close up and add later for ID purpose.

• PaulaZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

planto... None were marked so I have no idea. I am so new I wouldn't dare guess. I will take a close up and add later for ID purpose.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Paula,
    Well shucks. Thanks for letting me know! I'll keep an eye out for your picture.

Planto

• PaulaZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

planto here you go the 2 large ones on left and pup

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Wow, those are nice specimens! I purchased an Aloe a couple weeks ago that looks just like yours but it wasn't exactly labeled. I know there are numerous hybrids out there, so getting a proper ID may be difficult. If you ever find out what it is, let me know. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

I noticed that you're relatively new to the forum (and apartment "garden" like me... and we also live on the second floor). How long have you been growing succulents? How many do you have?

Planto

• PaulaZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well Planto....many years ago I was married and had a house in the hills of WV. That is when I actually fell in love with houseplants and esp. succulents.. Got smart after 33yrs and left HIM but lost the plants as well. LOL

Now 15yrs later with a GREAT guy I decided it's time to start my new family again! How many?
    1-Tiger Jaws
    2-Earth Stars
    3-Staphilaids
    4-Haworthias
    5-Euphorbias
    6-Mammillaria gracilis fragilis
    7-Lithops
    8-Agaves
    9-Aeoniums
    10-Aloes
    11-Sedums
    12-Jades
    13-Sempervivum
    14-Jovibarba
    15-Crown of Thorns(3)
    16-Ming Thing Cactus
    17-Crested Cactus?
    18-Kalanchoes
    19-Dracaena
    20-Sansevieria

You know I am tired of trying to remember them all.LOL

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Paula,
    I'm sorry to hear your first marriage didn't work out, but it sounds like it was for the best. My Mom had a lot of houseplants and lost them when she left her first Husband too. :\

Lol, thanks for sharing your list. You have quite the collection starting! There are a few folks on this forum that have in excess of 200-300 plants (and one of them is a teenager! I'm still drooling over his collection).

I also have a small collection, it's difficult to have too many in an apartment (is that the case for you too?) with limited space.

If you ever want to share pictures, I love pictures. :D

Planto

• PaulaZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I discovered that the extremely tall aloe that was included in my planter is an Aloe Juvenna. At least it sure looks like it

Here is a link that might be useful: aloe juvenna

• PaulaZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Planto,
    I think the aloe we are trying to ID is Aloe Harlana...check it out

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I used to own an Aloe harlana. This Aloe isn't Aloe harlana unfortunately. It has really shiny soft leaves (when I say soft, I mean you run your finger down the leaf and you don't feel any raised bumps... if that makes sense).

I think Aloe juvenna is correct. I can't remember if there's another look-alike that has the same growth habit and looks almost the same (or am I confusing myself here).

Planto

This is Aloe harlana (not my picture btw).

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I'll do some searching later again and see if I can't find an ID for us too. Thanks for looking it up. There are so many Aloe hybrids and some start to look the same (especially when you get into the Kelly Griffin hybrids).

Planto

• PaulaZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How about Doran Black?

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Paula,
    I also looked at 'Doran Black,' but I think the leaves on that particular Aloe are a bit wider than ours. I think I may have found it though. Tell me what you think. Google Aloe 'Lizard Lips,' does it look like yours?

Okay, I somewhat remembered correctly about your taller Aloe. There's another name floating around for Aloe juvenna, but it's not even a species if I read correctly. You may see people (or companies) label it as Aloe zanzibarica, but it's Aloe juvenna. So yes, you're right, it's Aloe juvenna. Good find! I thought there were two that looked almost exactly the same, but apparently all it was, was that it had been given two different names (now that's not confusing at all).

Planto

Here's Aloe 'Lizard Lips' (not my picture).

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 15:25

• PaulaZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Boy it sure does look like Lizard Lips..... I think I will say that is what mine are and forget it! LOL

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Paula,
    Lol!

Planto

• Enterotoxigenic00
    9 years ago

I need to get out more.
    Karen

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?