Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tell me the Truth!

Posted by bikerdoc5968 6 SE MI (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 19, 12 at 16:14

Earlier this year I purchased an Echeveria 'Mauna Loa' because it is supposed to be another of the carbuncular Echeveria, like Echeveria 'Paul Banyan'. When I received the plant, there were NO markings of any kind. In fact, the plant looked nothing like the pictured plant on the vendor's website. Of course, I contacted the vendor and he replied that the hybrid was variable and just grow it in a sunny location and it will get carbuncles. Well, I doubted what he said straight away because he had been growing it in the sun! I do know from personal experience with my Paul Banyan (I think that is what it is or some other E. gibbiflora hybrid) will lose its marking and color in the winter but the summer sun brings everything back into play. I've had this Mauna Loa in full sun all summer long from dawn to dusk and to date nary a lump or a bump! So is this hybrid that variable and I just got the one without lumpy bumpies or what????? Or as I suspect, it isn't what I ordered in the first place. Not much I can do bout it now but enjoy the flowers that should open in a couple of months. The pictures are from today and I don't have to tell you which one is the Paul Banyan.... or do I....LOL

Oh, BTW, I must have a dozen or so of the Paul Banyan so you all know my email.....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tell me the Truth!

I bought one just last week, not many bumps on mine or curly edges but the ones in the made up planters did have and they had curlier edges than mine. Here'a picture of mine.
Annette

o

Howard, how strange is that first pic, I have never seen a plant like that, carbuncles on a plant, whatever next? They look just like shelled walnut halves, lol!
Hope you are well!
Gill from the UK.

o

Annette, at least your plant has the potential to have lots of carbuncles with some sun and time. Mine never will and that's what I find upsetting and terribly misleading to show a picture of what one expects to receive and get something different!

o

I know nothing about them but that Paul Banyan is so strangely beautiful. I've never even heard of carbuncular Echeverias. The Mauna Loa is also a beautiful plant but I can certainly understand your disappointment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here