Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whip1_gw

Portulacaria afra variegata

I picked up a little P. Afra at Lowes for $2.00. It's a little beat up, but I'm sure I can bring it back to health. This is my first one, so any advice is appreciated. Sun, soil, water, etc.

{{gwi:568543}}
It looks like I have a few plants in the pot. Not sure if I'll keep them together or separate them.

Rob

Comments (6)

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Sun: Protect from high UV and heat transistioning aim for bright more indirect sun to protect it all season from higher UV rays

Water: Depends on the soil you use and the climate but would suggest cooler times of the day of early Am or after sunset PM & sometimes both times of day

Soil: Tuff one depending on what you have on hand any mix from grits ading to the mix some other organics to the sometimes suggested C&S ammended with perlite soil.

Watering part two would be the same but also in respect to the soil you choose and plant location usuall for me for a watering indicator is a fair amount of foliage looking slightly wrinkled on the top side of foliage.

Dont need to explain, I'm not certain why you would want to repot it now as repotting would cost some of the season for plant to soil recovery If by chance you are skilled to repot now I grow my Porta afras in pumice (with humus as the organic) poultry grit and sifted for a wider range of sizes courser composted granite. Would would also heavily water it a soon as repotted allowing to settle in inside one of the trusty holding tray on the cooler sun set side of house for a few days.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

No mater what I did, my kept loosing leaves and then the stems started to rot. Gave up on it and left it alone on the window seal. No water, nothing. Next year from the base came a new stem and it grew about 4 to 5 inches before I knew it. So I figured this plant grows with out water. Or very little water. As long as I forget about this plant, ok, once I start to notice it, it starts to drop leaves again. So I leave this plant alone.
    Stush

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Keep it watered, lots of sun, and fertilize lightly and consistently for good growth....these ones are much slower than the straight green Port. afra. A mix that you'd use for Jades will be fine, but you will need to water slightly more often. Wrinkled leaves = not enough water. Yellow leaves = too much water. Very easy to 'read' this plant.

Josh

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

Thank you Josh, That tip will help me. It is now 3 years for me and I also purchased on clearance for 50 cents. Also I kept it in the soil it was in. Changed to a more free draining mix and it just sat there for another year. I am beginning to hate this plant. This year its' still looking at me doing nothing.
    Stush

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wanted to repot the plant to get it out of the poor soil it came in. I have gritty mix ready. Should I wait or do it now? I also have 511 mix. which is better for these?
    Josh,
    Thanks for the tips. I knew I could count on you for some help.
    Stush,
    If you struggle with this plant, that makes me wonder if I can grow it in our climate.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Hey, guys!
    Rob, now is a fine time for re-potting succulents. I think it'll grow in either the gritty or the 5-1-1....perhaps even a hybrid mix between the two. If you do use the 5-1-1, run it over a 1/4 inch screen to reduce the particle size of the bark - I think that'll work out better for this plant.

Over the Winter is tough with these plants. For the first two years, I under-watered mine. The leaves would drop off, and I assumed it was from too much water....so I watered even less. Then, last Winter, I started watering much more often, keeping the roots more moist, and the plants held onto their leaves better.

Josh

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio