Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mervtan

Trumpeted jade trouble

mervtan
10 years ago

Hi all I am updating my earlier post about my jade tree. This just feel off. Don't think it's rot. I can't figure this out any help or ideas?

Comments (17)

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

A photo of the plant from which it fell off would help...I have never had a limb fall off one of my Jades...What are your watering practices, what is your planting medium? We need more information to diagnose the problem and find a solution.

Christopher

• mervtan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Main plant

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

It looks gorgeous

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    10 years ago

From the picture the mix looks very wet or moist maybe the jade had gotten rot, and is dropping limbs as a defense mechanism, to keep its genes going on. If i were you i would take some cuttings, and unpot the main plant to see if there is any rot in the roots and trunk. But i would wait until someone more experience comes along and says what the issue might be. But this what my hypothesis is.
    Grantgarden

• mervtan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks u think I had just watered it when I took that. The trunk is firm I haven't checked the roots. It also was moved from bad lighting to good lighting and maybe it was shocked. Has anyone experienced leaf drop associated with leaves becoming yellowish or more translusent

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I've had entire branches drop just like that...from a 'Gollum,' no less. Plants will shed leaves or branches that they can no longer support. So we must ask: why can't the plant support this branch? Are there insufficient roots, insufficient light, or insufficient nutrients?

If the leaves are yellow and firm, then the plant has too much water.

Josh

• mervtan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So. I decided to repot in equal parts sand and succulent soil. I also removed dirt from roots as I felt like there was impacted wet soil around them. I did best I could without destructing roots. Plant is thining but seems to be dropping less after about a week. I can post another pic. Still a little yellow. No excessive rot but maybe early signs. Is the potting mix okay? I did put a later of med size rocks at bottom of pot as well. Thanks
    Merv

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

No sorry, I see 2 problems here, sand is bad & rocks at the bottom don't actually help, that's been found untrue.

Unfortunately, the sand may compact around the roots even more than the soil you just struggled to remove. If it were mine, I'd get it out of there ASAP & give it C&S mix w/ 50% added perlite if that's what you've got to work w/ & avoid sand entirely.

• mervtan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Really,
    No sand....i'd hate to repot it again....the soil before was extremely empacted...aaaaahhh...now what...

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

I'm sorry, but I'd suggest it's better safe than sorry.

The 2 things I've mentioned you've done make it likelier to get worse, not better. After all you DID ask.

• mervtan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Advice. It is slowly losing leaves and branches. I've been able to salvage. It still seems to have new blooms. I don't get it

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

I think the problem continues to be too much water with the potting medium you are using.

Christopher.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

It's overpotted and the soil is too dense - please see the previous comments about the soil. When you repot it, don't water it for a few days. When you do water it, underwater it. Don't water but once every 10 days or so when you water.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

How old is that Gollum? I agree with the advise...the mix seems too dense/water retentive...and the pot too large.

Did you use play sand (very fine), that is def. not recommended as PG suggested.

There is Silica sand (much more coarse) that can be used as an additive to potting mix.

Silica Sand
    Best of luck...that's a very nice Gollum, I sure hope you're able to save it.

• mervtan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for advice...i rarely water her since way back when....but i'll go with the ideas and see...it seems to have leveled out and still has sprouts but its been a strugle....thanks

• mervtan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

its old....

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

its old....

As jades go, it's approaching middle age. Age isn't the problem.