Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
0nametaken0

He Shoots! He Scores!!

0nametaken0
9 years ago

Well I bought a few semps from SMG. They came out to be great. But the real deal was when I went to a garden centre in a parking lot, it was a seasonal local centre because I did not see any big box stores there. I bought the life saver huernia succulent and many small fallen leaves of other succulents for $3.79 total (the leaves were free). There were many more beautiful succulents and I regret not buying them. But Im really happy with what I have. Im running out of room in my balcony now, I have no idea what will happen when I have to bring the non cold hardy in doors.

Unfortunately the pics are crap because it was in my room beside my aquarium and it was a little cloudy, so not much detail in the pic. I will update with new pics in a few days once I move them outside. Its just too hot right now. In 1 or 2 days it will be cool enough to move them. I will have a net or a mesh to block the light. Acclimating is the worst thing ever. Itl be weeks before they start growing.

I know the pics are weak, but if anyone can ID the pups or the succulents, that would be great.

{{gwi:568918}}

{{gwi:568920}}

{{gwi:568922}}

Comments (11)

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

The only ones I can positively id for you are the ones with the white fuzzy centers. Those are Sempervivum arachnoideum aka Cobweb leeks.

Nancy

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Sorry, but what is SMG? Can't you get the IDs from the Seller? Why Not?

Why deliberately buy plants w/ no ID? I just don't get it.

• Becky
    9 years ago

I love collecting the leaves of succulents, they're so easy to propagate-if you're not impatient ;) Hah!
    I love in the last pic I can see some of the little babies popping up.. it's always a relief to see that.

Won't be able to tell what some of those are until they're bigger, which is worrysome if some prefer full sun while others like shade. Just play it by ear and be very careful with them.

• MsGreenFinger GW
    9 years ago

Right bottom corner - Moonstone ?

Here is a link that might be useful: moonstone

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    9 years ago

brodyjames the big clump in the white container is S. Fredegar. Thats the only name I know because the supplier provided it.

pirate_girl Its SMG Succulents. The best place to buy semps, atleast thats what Ive gathered. The thing is, if you buy a full clump, they ID it. If you buy pups, its random and no ID. So I really wanted one that looked like a cobweb, while the rest I bought as pups. Pups are cheap while full clumps are full price. I dont have alot of space so decided that was the way to go.

Noteybook I love it too whenever I get the chance. This nursery was gold!!! Unfortunately, due to space constraints I had to just go with one full plant and the rest with litter.

MsGreenFinger Maybe, I hope so because thats one beautiful succulent. Its going to take alot of patience to see what it goes up as,

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

pirate_girl, if everybody bought only succulents and cacti with id, where would be the fun for us in seeing them identified? :) I learn a lot that way. A large proportion of the posts here are looking for identification, it's a big part of the forum. But don't you notice too that plants without ids are usually more affordable too? Also, some succulent lovers sell starts from their plants and they have never had an idea what they are called - you can get gems that way sometimes.

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Well, I've been in this too long to buy no name plants, I just don't do it. I especially don't do it since I wouldn't know how to care for it.

Another thing I don't do, having gotten myself well accustomed to my odd circumstances (only west windows, VERY hot & humid & 'til recently no A/C). Not all plants do OK in this setting, killed a bunch in learning that, struggled w/ others for same reasons.

Thx for clarifying about SMG.

• plantlover80
    9 years ago

Most of the corporate nurseries here by me slap a "succulent" sticker and a price tag and put them on the shelves (damn yankees). I kind of like it that way. Its a lot more fun. If I cant find it myself, then I come to the forum

• mingtea
    9 years ago

Are you guys referring to Squaw Mountain Gardens for semps? Those guys are from my home state and their page is full of fun. I thought you were referring to San Marcos growers at first. They've got a nice page with plenty of reference material, too, although more general.

-Ming

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The site I was referring to was https://www.storesonlinepro.com/store/1818384/

They are simply called SMG succulents, unless they specified it elsewhere. The no ID of semps are not a problem, they all have the same demands. The leaves however I dont know about and I think the only way to ID would be when they grow up. I really dont mind if I lose them, Ill try my best and learn in the process.

• 0nametaken0
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update!!

So they grew little pups really quick, I guess they were waiting for a surface and a mist. I mist them every morning. They are inside by the window, they get good indirect light and late in the day a few rays of direct.

EDIT: This is why I hate how the site handles images. When you click on the image, it goes to the provider. I specifically resized my pics so you could see them in actual size. I wanted to ask what the green leafed seedums were.

{{gwi:568924}}

{{gwi:568926}}

{{gwi:568928}}

{{gwi:568930}}

{{gwi:568932}}

This post was edited by NameTaken on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 16:26