Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help whats wrong with my Jade Plant?

Posted by agurss Michigan (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 16:49

Help my jade plant seems to be wilting, and leaves are not plump. I have had this jade plant for about 2 years it was doing very well, but over the winter it began to drop leaves and become not plump, and the stems seem to be weaker. My friend who gave me my plant suggested during the summer I move it outdoors. It seems to have perked up a bit but still looks like it needs some attention. I am new to this and want to do my best to keep it alive! I am worried I may loose it. Looking for good advice on how to properly save it.
Thank you
Allison

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help whats wrong with my Jade Plant?

Could be a combination of heavy organic soil, not enough light, and too much water. Check the roots for rot.

If you search for Jade plant care, you will find a wealth of information, as Crassula ovata is discussed on this forum more than any other plant.

If it were my plant, I would make drastic changes, "whack" it severely, repot with a faster draining medium in an unglazed clay pot, and put it in a location where it can receive sufficient light for optimal growth.

Christopher

o

I agree with Christopher. Also, it looks like it has some scarring, possibly from being sunburned at some point (perhaps you moved it out into full sun too quickly after it being sun-deprived over winter). There's nothing you can do about that now, so I would just follow Christopher's instructions and read through the forum.

o

Agreed. The soil looks pretty rough, and not the right type for a jade. It requires something more porous and free draining. The pot is too large as well; jades need a surprisingly small pot. The spindly growth is due to low light, and as noted, moving it into direct sun without acclimating it caused sunburn.

As for what to do, I agree to repot, into a gritty mix, but I would hold off on the whacking part, as you have a plant that's barely hanging on. It may not have enough stored energy to handle all at once. Save the whacking until after the repot, and signs of good new growth appear.

Joe

o

Thank you for the advice I will repot right away!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here