Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (11)

• roseyd
    10 years ago

I'm going to guess. It's a succulent, and probably in the aloe family?

Am I right? :)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Richard, you can't do this to us old f@*%! You posted this a few days ago with almost the same title. Now I'm confused; well, more confused than usual...

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg061613405010.html?2

• oldstumpy1 Long Island ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

terrible when the mind doesn't work the way it should sorry should
    be id 30. It's been a couple of tough weeks.

Richard

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

Could this be a bromeliad relative, Abrom..... something? Bromelia something....

This post was edited by Dzitmoidonc on Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 20:21

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

It looks like a very wide-leaved Hechtia to me. (Perhaps H. glauca?) Could be another Brom relative.

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

I'd throw out the idea of Dyckia brevifolia or similar...maybe? It closely resembles my D. brevifolia, but then again, your plant seems to have a taller top, you could say, while my D. brevifolia (which is in the greenhouse and gets adequate light year-round) has always been a tad more compact. I think I have seen slight variations in leaf length in some photos IDed as D. brevifolia (via Google searches), but most I've seen pictured have been more compact like mine...but I'm no master of these plants. As for leaf width, I can't say for sure that your plant's leaves are slightly wider there. They may be.

And my D. has had pups since I bought it about three years ago, and your plant looks to be solitary right now, so I can't give you a view of mine without pups, obviously!

But I can give a good look at the markings/nice striping. These pictures are through Photobucket, so I hope you could right-click 'em to view larger versions to help you out. If it's a match, great. :) And of course Google is loaded with images of this Dyckia.

{{gwi:569326}}

{{gwi:569329}}

When I first bought it about three years ago:

{{gwi:569332}}

And taken in the last year (has since been repotted, but haven't photographed recently):

{{gwi:569334}}

{{gwi:569336}}

I really like seeing your plants!

Colleen

This post was edited by teatree on Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 22:00

• oldstumpy1 Long Island ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

HI Colleen
    I do believe that's is it. I have had this one about a year and have never seen one pup. It's in a four inch pot and gets all the sun ny state has to offer.

Richard

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Way to go, Colleen! Nice Plants! =)

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

Oh, good!

It was a recommendation made in slight fear, Rosemarie. Haha. I hate to be wrong, and I REALLY need to learn more about Hechtia (other than the flower differences and the other more obvious factors)!

• laura1
    10 years ago

I looked at this post/plant yesterday and couldn't put my finger on what it is. When I came back today "Dyckia" jumped out of my mouth. But I don't grow them so it's good that Colleen is keeping us straight about the variety. ;-)

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

I only have a few Dyckia so far, Laura, but they're beautiful, aren't they? Beautiful and lethal, though this one's not nearly as poke-y as others.

It's the first Dyckia I bought, to prove to myself I could manage them. Very easygoing! And if you think it's even remotely nice-looking, check out Dyckia brevifolia 'Yellow Glow.' Sigh...I dream of creating a nice pot with some of those.