Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aztcqn

Help! Haworthia is dropping leaves :{

aztcqn
9 years ago

I've had this haw. cuspidata for a month or so. I've had it outdoors in dappled sun in a pretty open mix. It came potted in mix in pot. It's been dropping leaves for the past week. I confess, sigh, I did water once, one afternoon, where water fell over and on plant. I've since moved into more light and have not watered at all......

I'm really bummed and not sure what to do.
Please advise.
:[

This post was edited by aztcqn on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 17:04

Comments (27)

• Matt
    9 years ago

Looks like it may be planted too deeply. I would knock it out of the pot and brush away (or blow) the dirt from the base and raise it up 1/2 - 1"

• denniso_z9_so_cal
    9 years ago

If the plant is H. cuspidata variegata then I am wondering if there is enough chlorophyll cells in this plant. Chlorophyll levels are critical in the photosynthesis process. I have had very white variegated plants seperated from the parent plant wither and die and I believe it was due to a lack of sufficent chlorophyll.

• User
    9 years ago

I'm inclined to think the base of the crown got wet & might be rotting. If it were mine, I'd unpot it to check.

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

I agree with it looks like maybe potted too deep. :-( I hope you can save it.

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, tuliper, pirate_girl and jojo! It did occur to me that it wasn't good it had rocks in between the leaves.
    I will u-npot and raise up.
    denniso_z9_so_cal, Wow. I hope it will survive.
    It has a smidgen of green stripes, but, makes sense if chlorophyll is lacking. Thank you for the info.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Looking at the leaves your've removed, I would say you will find a rotted base from whatever cause... most likely too much water. If this is the case, remove anything that is soft and discolored like the base of the removed leaves and cut the base of the stem back to healthy looking tissue, callous for at least a week or more and plant in pumice/perlite/turface, etc. keep shaded and dry with VERY LITTLE water. You may be able to grow new roots. If things have gone too far but you have some leaves that are in good condition, you can do the same as above and in time you may have new plants. It will be more difficult because it is a variegated plant. The plant I have attached was on death's doorstep. It took a couple of months but I now have several plants.

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh thank you, bikerdoc!!!!
    I have some hope! My next question was if I could get new growth from leaves. That's wonderful to see the new growth starting there from the old leaves you have there.

Needless to say, this will be a big learning experience. Am really hoping I can get it to come back. Will follow yours and everyone's advice.

This post was edited by aztcqn on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 22:00

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Crown is not rotting, no leaves are mushy there, but 1/2 of base is. I'm so upset. Not knowing AND having had it potted deeper than it should have been.
    It has/had good fat roots below the rot line. Cutting it out meant breaking into 3 sections where the rot started.

{{gwi:569392}}
    Jeez, there were even new roots coming fourth from the base!

Gúâ¢D⢠it. My plant is ruined. It was so beautiful......
    {{gwi:569394}}

I pasted gaarden sulfur on the cuts to stop the rot. That's what I've done with all other succulents......

To say I'm "annoyed" is so underdescriptive....

This post was edited by aztcqn on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 21:58

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about your Haw. I believe some are more finicky than others. I don't know if this is one of them. Let us know of any progress (good or bad).

Planto

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, of course my first experience with the flesh leaved ones is filled with disaster. Seriously, I see the fleshy haws under benches and overturned pots and the plants are full of pups and flower stems at the nurseries teeming with succulents and mealy, but in my open yard it rots. >:[
    It may very well make it tougher to save because of the more white variated parts than green. Well, It seems a new project in the gaarden is set up for me.

Thanks for the well wishes, Planto....'course will keep everyone posted.

This post was edited by aztcqn on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 22:08

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

I hope it makes it too!
    It was a mistake, and we all make them so don't be too hard on your self!

I understand your frustration! I over watered my first one, similar to yours and in the beginning, I cooked a hybrid aloe.. Hey.. Aloes grow wild around here.. so I figured it would too. NOT! LOL!

live and learn I guess.

• hanzrobo
    9 years ago

I agree with denniso, looks like a variegated version. I have an H. cuspidata that developed variegation on one of the rosettes. I tried to remove it and root the variegate separately, but I couldn't root it. No more variegate.

Looking at the pot, cutting and the mix, I'm not so sure it was rooted that well when you bought it.

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi hanzrobo,
    Yes it is variegated and my guess is the grower separated the white pup when it developed roots. I just didn't know how sensitive to water near stem it is and better to sit the plant up higher in the pot and NOT let water sit in between leaves. It may have had a chance as it was putting out roots before water sat in on leaves.

Sigh, jojo, thanks for the support. I hate when mistakes are so obvious in hindsight. I have a haw fasciata that is pupping all over the place. And, yeah, not the same plant or toughness.
    So, now to see if this is not a predetermined losing battle......

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

Here's a trick I learned a while back...

A lot of the small haworthia you see at a lot of actual nurseries, not BBS locations, will have fairly new offsets freshly potted. Especially in the beginning of growing or restocking seasons. Look around the nursery. See if you see any evidence of recent potting, such as dirt left on the ground, small pots stacked somewhere, anything. If you see that, watch out. The plants near these areas probably aren't too well rooted, if at all. Watering in this state could result in rot. That's what I beleieve happened to yours. It just didn't have the root system... And when you watered it it was too deep and it rooted. It being planted deeply was an attempt to hide its lack of roots.

But don't feel bad... I have made this mistake, even bringing home plants before that were already dying and learning about it after the fact.

Don't be afraid to give the plants a thorough inspection: I have been known to inverted pots and slide the plant out to make sure it has an established root system. A gentle tug on a haworthia can yall you a lot about its roots, and a squeeze of its leaves can tell you more about its overall healthy. Too much wobble, too much squish... That's when I investigate the soil and roots before I buy. Most of the time freshly potted is not a problem but you need to be aware of it because it changes care requirements for a while until you get it established. Unrooted haworthias are very easy to kill.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I find that during the summer months (an it is summer in texas now) I will mist and water very lightly hawarthias, especially the pale ones. They have already started to go dormant and can not take in much water. Spray bottles are great.

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

I grow mine in shade for that reason. Mine haven't dormented yet but that is a key point to also remember: these go dormant when its really hot or cold.

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both, Sundewd and wantonamara.

Sdewd, I see all you just mentioned. Yep it was potted deep to keep it steady. I thought it was odd because it also had dirt between the lower leaves at the base. It had just put out roots, but really had no idea it was in a super delicate state. I didn't think to ask about its care at this stage.....didn't think it needed special care at this stage.

I invert potted plants as well at nurseries, squish pot to see inner sides of pots to make sure I don't bring home mealy bugs. Will be diligent next round.

wantonamara, as for misting, do you mist the entire plant itself? Or just moisten the top bit of soil mix while avoiding plant?
    I feel like such a clueless newb. I want to learn how to bring these up right.

In both your opinions, in last 2 pics, esp. the upside down crown, think there is any chance of re-establishing the bits and the main crown?

I really appreciate your help and advise.
    Ez

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I mist the plant and the top of the ground, but mostly the plant.

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks wantonamara. Unfortunately I have some trepidation to water on leaves, big fear of rotting them out. But, will apply your advise to new set when they go dormant. These all came with great big over 3 inch root systems. So, I can water pot with more confidence, atm.

Sundewd was right on. My plant was sold un-established with a few pimple sized roots and my lack of experience made a mess.

Live and learn.......

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

It's gonna be close for forming roots... I have had Haworthia come back from that before but they also weren't albino. It may be too much stress for it but its not impossible for it to grow new roots. The one with some stem still on It probably has the best chance. Just place then on a quick draining media in a shady spot and see what they do... That's about you can do now. Check once every few days for the two Rs: Roots and Rot.

Don't feel bad though... We have all made these mistakes and even a lot of experience doesn't always mean perfection.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

In the summer it is so hot here where I am that misting never stay on plants for long. I am worried about wetting the soil when the roots are shutting down for the summer. I have rotted the roots by watering during the summer because plants are not drinking..

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Sundewd! Appreciate the advise and encouragement. ;)
    Unfortunately all the leaves on the stock turned watery. I'm left with one small stem w 3 leaves and the crown. I will try and I know that it's lack of green is gonna make it tougher to restart.
    Good to know, Wantonamara. Also, looks like the plants I have are actively growing. So, I think its safe to water roots atm. Phew!
    I feel like I'm entering uncharted territory, hoping I dont anger the haworthia fairies, with watering at the wrong time. I hope I get it right with these......I know that once summer heat appears I istop watering. For Southern Cali, I'm guessing it's around August.........

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One of the set of 3 in previously posted picture has turned bronzish olive on top of leaves. Checking the bottom, the same leaves are still the original green like in the center growth.
    {{gwi:569398}}

Another view
    {{gwi:569400}}
    The pup has also gone bronze. The leaves are soft, but, then they were a bit dehydrated when they arrived, as well.

{{gwi:569404}}
    This one is still green but the pup is also the dark olive.

My guess is this is this is sun burn? Where they all sit is bright dappled light and the last cuspidata has not shown any change in color and it's leaves are fat, no flat ones on it. Am I guessing correctly?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Aztcqn, got your note about my seedlings but I'm not sure what advice you seek. I did post to this thread earlier. Since I don't have an email for you, it's hard to make any inquiries.

Howard, AKA Bikerdoc

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, just wanted your opinion on the above plant pics. I wondered if this has happened to your plants at some point?.....

There is a pic of the cuspidata hybrid when it was all green in a previous post in this thread. Todays post shows the olive bronze color change.....Is the green change to olive leaves, sunburn?

This post was edited by aztcqn on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 18:26

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

My guess would be sun.These plants can be very sensitive to the sun. I like a little bit of bronzing, but easy does it.

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, wantonamara!!!! Okay, maybe I moved the plants into sun too quickly. I'm glad that's been confirmed and my confidence is restored! ;]