Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crenda53

Gasteraloe?

Crenda 10A SW FL
10 years ago

I think this is a gasteraloe hybrid, but would like to confirm.

I found this gal crammed on a bench full of plants labeled aloes at HD. I brought her home and washed all the dirt from between the leaves and saw it was a much prettier plant than I thought.

I've spent the morning sifting and rinsing and preparing a batch of gritty mix, so mama and her babies will be getting a new home shortly. That's a 4-inch pot.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (34)

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Ooo, that variegated guy would've been a cart jumper for me, for sure!
    It could be an xGasteraloe or xAlworthia. Hard to say without seeing the blooms. It has the shape of xAlworthia (sometimes sold as Aloe) 'Black Gem', but I've never seen a variegated one. If the leaves were thicker/more filled out, I'd lean toward the Gasteria cross. It may just be a var. Aloe!! Post again if it blooms!

Does the pot tag give it a name?

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah - the tag says "succulent". Big help, huh?

I just know I am going to be impatient waiting for it to bloom! At first I thought it was a variegated aloe of some sort, but I started over thinking. Here is a close up of the leaves. The edges look a little spiny. So now we'll just have to wait and see!

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops - forgot to say thanks, Rosemarie! You've helped, as you always do, and given me some more things to research.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Crenda

Don't want to hijack your thread, but I have one similar to yours, could not get exact ID either.
    It has tiny teeth too, maybe not as plump as yours & little etiolated, but I don't have sunlight you get; my sucs spent winter under lights, in the basement.
    this thread

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 19:26

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rina, has your bloomed? They do look quite similar. Well, they're pretty and we can still enjoy them even if their IDs are a mystery to us.

Sometimes I like a mystery. I have a neighbor who is a PhD botanist. I love to stump him, even if it doesn't happen often.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Crenda, it didn't bloom yet. I got it Jan 2013. Hope it grows faster now...I do like it.
    Rina

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I have Gasteraloe "Green Ice" and this one reminds me of it , but it is different, Not quite right for "Green Ice". Leaves are thinner, and more outward in its presentation. No spots along with the stripes . The leaves seem glosier. and the color is more of a yellow green than "Green Ice". Close , but not quite.

Nice plant and a very interesting staging with those flat white "pebbles" and the square/round pot.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Howard

Could it be that you have couple different ones in that pot? I can see some variegation on few of the leaves. Larger plant in rear of the pot seems to have 'dots' on leaves.

mara,

The pebbles were put in to hold the plant after repotting, and the pot is 'pot-in-the-pot'; inside round pot comes out, it is glazed except bottom 1/3rd of it, and when put in it's 'suspended'.
    Outside sq pot is a cache pot, has hole in one of the corner (barely visible in the pic, top corner) to put water thru (I don't). Bought 3 of them on sale - ha, can't resist sales ($4/each - reg. $12/ea...at least that's what tag said)

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 9:27

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rina and I may have the same plant. I guess time (and flowers) will tell. I bought it thinking it was some variety of aloe. After getting home, I was looking at my Green Ice and thinking they looked similar, but different in color. And my Green Ice may really be something else since I depended on the BBS tag.

BTW - when I picked the pot up to get a photo side by side, it was HEAVY. So I'm taking that coarse sand off the top. It is a thin layer, but it does hold moisture in! Mine are in full sun, too.

Here they are:

This post was edited by Crenda on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 9:57

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

1st, it is not xGasteraloe 'Green Ice'. Superb clump you have going there, Howard...with that additional mystery plant! :D

Thanks for the additional pix Crenda & Rina. Looking back at Rina's other post, I see/ read about the tiny teeth on Rina's plant (wasn't sure). Link is messed up though--have to remove space & break code (BR).

As in Rina's post, teatree/Colleen mentioned it looking like xAlworthia 'Black Gem'. The teeth at the ends of the leaves, as well as the occasional tiny teeth along the edges are the same as on 'Black Gem'. The leaves can be wide or thin & it has those dips/indentations in the leaves. I have never seen variegated types of this plant, so, WHO KNOWS? Maybe you two have something new! If it is a type of 'Black Gem' you will probably never see it bloom. Bummer!

I even went out to check my Aloe 'Green Gold', but the teeth were tiny & all over the edges. So, not that.

Crenda, I have seen some that look like your plant on the left in the last pic, sold as 'Green Ice', but I'm not convinced it's that. Some have some darker green, but usually not that much.

Click for larger view
    See its teeth?
    {{gwi:569479}}

my 'Green Ice' (see bits of darker green)
    {{gwi:569480}}

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've never been totally convinced that my plant is a 'Green Ice'. It has never looked quite right when I compare it to others.

After looking at a lot of photos and reading up some more today, I do believe you've nailed it with xAlworthia 'Black Gem'. The teeth on the leaves are quite similar. I did find a couple of pictures on a Google image search that were variegated, and they looked like mine. But maybe they were making educated guesses, too?

Thanks for all the help. Bummer, indeed, if we won't get blooms.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

While looking around today, I fund a site in Australia that has a plant like yours (similar to Green Ice). They called it Gasteraloe 'Pale Brother'. Didn't have a chance to see if I could find others like that, or if they made up the name (as often happens). Yes, it pays to be careful of what you see & believe on the web! :P Get corroboration!

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Crenda,
    I tried to Google "variegated Aloe" as I couldn't find anything similar to your picture when I typed in "variegated Gasteraloe" and two names came up whose pictures looked similar to yours.

variegated Aloe nobilis

variegated Aloe mitriformis

What do you guys think?

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I googled Alworthia 'Black Gem' variegata and came up with a couple of pictures close to mine. The aloes have more teeth on the leaves than mine does. (Maybe mine just has its baby teeth! )

I'm certainly not very good at IDs and it takes me a while to get the search criteria just right to find what I am looking for. And of course I get distracted by what does come up in the search!

• oldstumpy1 Long Island ny
    10 years ago

HI Crenda,
    Don't know if this is the same but mine was labeled as
    variegated aloe Wansley.it even has the baby teeth.
    A search on eday shows three very similar.
    Richard

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I'll be darned! That does look just like mine, right down to the teeth. Thank you! Now I have 2 real possibilities for this plant.

The gritty mix and light it is getting now should make it happy. So now flowers or no-flowers may tell the full story.

• nat_lia
    10 years ago

Crenda, I was browsing online on Etsy and Ebay last week, planning to get one or two variegated aloe and gasteria. I found your plant is labeled as Wansley Aloe Variegated at both website. Also came across to " Aloe mitriformis Mill. forma variegata "Pale yellow" (Google please), but don't think that is the plant you have. Yours looks closer to xAlworthia 'Black Gem' or the one labeled as Wansley Aloe Variegated. This is my 'Black Gem', now I have to get the same plant you have :)....I hope our HD here have the same plant as yours (the 1st pic above).
    {{gwi:569481}}

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Planto, I took a look around the web last night after your suggestion of different Aloe that were variegated. Got sidetracked as usual, then too late to respond (my bedtime!). First, I'll say, it cannot be nobilis or mitriformis, as those two have much bigger teeth, as well as on other parts of the leaves.

I, too, found the variegated Aloe on eBay. Must be the same ones...and looking like Richard's plant. The 2 I saw were being offered as Variegated Aloe Wansley. If it were that plant (which it isn't), the name is either 'Walmsley's Blue' or 'Walmsley's Bronze'. These plants should have teeth all along the edge of the leaves.

Note: I'd guess 50% of plants on eBay have incorrect names! :O

The eBay plants DO, however, look like the form 'Black Gem' has, with same teeth size & placement. So, it could be we're seeing a cross (like whatever made up 'Black Gem') in a variegated form! LOL

Okay! News flash...I've been revisiting previous forum discussions I've had with other over xAlworthia 'Black Gem' (or Aloe) & Aloe 'Walmsley's Bronze'. There is much confusion as to which plant is which. I have also found a plethora of Aloe 'Walmsley's Bronze' variegata (or variegated). Some have teeth, some don't. I know my 'Walmsleys' Blue' has teeth. Small ones, but all along the leaf edges.

Oh! Found another on eBay, with what may be the correct name (if not 'Black Gem', that is...hee hee.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aloe-Walmsleys-bronze-variegated-/171003604123

Here is my 'Black Gem' (each with a different look to it)
    {{gwi:569482}} {{gwi:569483}} {{gwi:569484}}

Sooooo, I'm thinking (also) that Crenda, Rina & Richard all may have Aloe 'Walmsley's Bronze' variegata (or variegated)...IF it is not the 'Black Gem'. Clear as MUD???!!!

So now I'll be on the hunt to find pix of the "real" Aloe 'Walmsley's Bronze'! Hee hee! IF I find it, I'm making notes & filing it on my computer for future reference!

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down to Aloe Wansley

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, don't laugh, folks. I just sent a picture of the plant to Costa Farms (their label on the plant) and asked them to ID the plant. I don't know if I'll get an accurate ID, but I'll see where their thoughts are since they are growing and selling the plant. "Succulent" is not an ID.

• cagedbirdsinging
    10 years ago

Hello, everyone!

I got to this page by Google-ing the ID that I was just given by a returned email from the Costa Farms customer service department. (Crenda, it looks like we were on the same page!)

Since this thread seems to be only a few weeks old and hasn't been followed up on since, I wanted to chime in and say that Costa Farms emailed me within a few days and confirmed that I had purchased an Aloe wansley and Aloe wansley variegated.

I was stumped when I saw the plants in person, thinking that they were some sort of Haworthia hybrid, which is why they went in the cart faster than I could think! After I got them home, I put the pictures up on several different sites and got ID guesses anywhere from Aloe Wamsley's Bronze to Alworthia 'Black Gem'.

So now, to bring peace to our minds, the growers themselves have confirmed them to be Aloe wansley!

This post was edited by cagedbirdsinging on Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 0:06

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

The nursery confirmed an ID of 'Aloe wansley and Aloe variegated'? I hope not - that's a poor job indeed of identification, as the first doesn't exist and the second isn't definitive - it should have been something like 'Aloe brevifolia v. variegata'.

• cagedbirdsinging
    10 years ago

I meant "Aloe wansley variegated" on the second, sorry! I went back and fixed that.

And yes, that is the ID that was given. I assume it exists simply because there are several sites online that list it. I'm not sure where it would have come from if not?

Google results for Aloe wansley reveal an exact match on pictures with no other synonyms for species names, so I'm unsure of how it doesn't exist.

10 years ago

Oops#1

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 12:28

10 years ago

Oopstwo

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 12:29

10 years ago

On three

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 12:30

10 years ago

Let me guess - your sourced names are from Ebay? It exists as a continuing, self-fulfilling mistake.

Taxonomy is a complicated thing sometimes anyway, even before you bring in chicanery, miscommunication and just plain ignorance (no harm in the last one, sometimes certainly, but it can lead to what you likely found in your source material).

There's an Aloe 'Walmsley's Blue' (which grows like a weed in San Diego, a large weed), and also an Aloe 'Walmsley's Bronze', but there's no such actual plant correctly named Aloe wansley (which not only doesn't exist but is misspelled to boot - double ignominy!)

You know, just as television is, you can't believe everything you experience on the Internet is fact.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cagedbird - I never got a reply from Costa Farms and haven't had a chance to follow up.

Let me add to the intrigue. I had to leave right after July 4th to help my mother. (She's been fighting cancer since 2010.) I didn't get all my plants in the lanai, so some were in direct sun and the elements.

Hubby sent me this picture when he was back in town last week, sadly declaring that it was rotted. We'd had over 12 inches of rain in the 3 weeks I was gone, so it was a good assumption if just looking at the plant.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I remembered this discussion and asked him to check the leaves for mushiness. He said they were hard (his word).

So I had him move it out of direct sun and told him DO NOT WATER. Here's what it looks like 10 days later!

Whew!!!

• rosemariero6
    10 years ago

Woohoo! Looks like a comeback to me! :)

I've already gotten into the naming bit, so won't to it again. Will the caged bird ever come back to sing?

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Found this on the web searching for Aloe 'Walmsley's Bronze'. I bought it on Ebay. It was called SUPERB VARIEGATE.

• Neysa
    10 years ago

I love your plant. I noticed that the edges on some seems to be curled up a little bit.
    I found on Etsy a wansley aloe variegated. You can still go to Etsy and type in Wansley ale variegated and it will bring up a picture that look so much like your plant. It too has the edges with curls upward.

Whatever it is, I think its a neat plant to have. So happy that it survived all the rain and it looks like it has all kinds of pups.

Neysa in California

• reccer7848
    7 years ago

I hope this chain is still alive. I have a succulent which I think is in the gasteraloe/aloe group. Can anyone clarify? The mother plant is about 8" tall and 14" wide. she has a gentle uncongested whorl pattern. As shown it is recently transplanted and somewhat stressed by wxcass light, thus the bronze color. In the last 10 years I have given away many pups, including recently. She blooms about 3 times a year. The slightly branched flower stalks have gotten as tall as 6 ft. The loosely arranged flowers are about 3/4" long pendulant, salmon color with green at the tip. They remind me of little flamingos

• ewwmayo
    7 years ago

Reccer - Definitely Gasteria. =)