Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tall Cactus for Zone 5/6

Posted by steg z6 SW Cleveland (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 8, 10 at 17:07

I've been looking around for a while with no straight answer, so I thought I'd ask the pros. What is the tallest cold hardy cactus that will survive in zone 5 or 6? Looking to grow it along side the house, in a somewhat sheltered location.

Thanks,
Steg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tall Cactus for Zone 5/6

Cold-hardy cacti are generally small. Some forms of cold-hardy Opuntia and Echinocereus triglochidiatus can reach a height of about 1 meter. Cylindropuntia imbricata can become taller, up to 3 meters, but I do not know if that applies to the cold-hardy forms, most I have heard of have been about half that height.

Note that the cold-hardiness depends much on the moisture levels too, and it is not enough to choose a particular species, some forms/clones are much hardier than other.

o

Hello,

The tallest plants in my hardy patch are:

O. imbricata, it's about 2.5'. My shade structure fell on it last winter so it is a little stunted now. There is one in Reno growing against a south-facing brick wall and it is quite a bit taller.

O. phaeacantha because the pads are large. But I have to get into my beds and clean them out. This plant is dying out on me. (good riddance it's like a weed and took over 2 of my cacti beds).

At my old house I had some kind of Trichocereus (not a hybrid) that lasted several years, but I think I finally just took it out because the weeds were growing through the stems.

I live in the high desert though, so my conditions are very different than yours. The plants stay very dry in the winter. We only get about 7" of moisture all year. We had more in the form of snow this year so maybe that's why the O. phaeacantha's are not doing well and that's definitely why the shade structure collapsed.

DZ

o

• Posted by steg z6 SW Cleveland (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 15, 10 at 13:33

Thanks for the suggestions. I swear I've seen a tall cactus growing in southern Ohio along side a house...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here