Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crenda53

What's ailing my tri-color jade?

Crenda 10A SW FL
9 years ago

These Crassula obliqua tri-color are the same age. Frankly, these have been touchy plants for me. The one in the larger pot has wrinkly rubbery (not firm) leaves. The other seems to be fine. Both are in a gritty mix of turface, bark and perlite.

Several of my jades looked thirsty, so I thought that was the problem. After watering everyone, 2 didn't show any signs of perking up, both C. obliqua tri-color.

I unpotted this wrinkly guy and the roots were pretty meager. I saw no signs of problems in the soil, but changed it out for a fresh batch. I am seeing no improvement.

Here's a picture -

Comments (11)

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a close-up of the leaves.

So do it have it overpotted? I now have smaller pots and can redo that. Also, I returned it to the sun where it had been, but wondered if it should be moved to bright shade.

Thanks for any ideas!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Not sure, since I don't grow this variety.
    I think perhaps you could keep the mix more evenly moist, unless you're watering fairly often. If the Gritty isn't watered thoroughly each time you water, the roots won't spread throughout the mix. Do you fertilize?

Josh

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do fertilize with dilute MG and water thoroughly. I had previously had these in 50/50 cactus soil and perlite, but they started rotting. It was too heavy and retained too much moisture - at least in my humid area.

LIke I said, this plant has been really touchy to begin with. There seems to be a fine line between too much and too little moisture. I thought I had it figured out, but not with these 2.

• CDCFRMS
    9 years ago

Did you remove most of the soil? That could be an issue if you didnt. I would keep it in bright shade until it recovers.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

How high are the temps?

When temps are too high, Jades will often shut down growth....at which point, any excess water will cause leaf-drop or yellowing. It happens about once a year with my Jades, usually during the first major peak of Summer heat.

Josh

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes - I am a big proponent of removing all the old soil. It has been in the gritty mix for almost a year now. It was looking ok, but not terrific. I have 7 little pots of the same plant. Only 2 are looking lousy.

I think I will repot into a smaller pot (its been about a month since I unpotted it), let it rest in the shade and see how it goes. We're entering rainy season and I really want this resolved before it gets too damp. They will all be moving under the roof soon.

Thanks!

• CDCFRMS
    9 years ago

I think greenman28 might be right, also high humidty can be an issue.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Josh - we've had over a week in the 90s. Maybe that's part of it. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

Honestly I have never had luck with these. Indeed they are more temperamental than most other Jades, and they do not like high humidity I noticed. Both cuttings I had of these perished, while my other variegated Jades are thriving, including this little one.

Christopher

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

You're definitely over potted on the wrinkly one, so plop it into a smaller pot. I would then find a cooler, shady spot for rehab. You may be best in a bright window inside, because any movement caused by wind is going to slow down root development. Also, what ratios are your gritty mix ingredients at?

Joe

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well- it's hot and humid again today. 92, feels like 98 with 60% humidity. I'm sure my jades are enjoying it as much as I am - not much - but I guess that's called summer.

I may have been impatient with the plant I had previously checked and repotted. It does have a couple of new roots starting. The other ailing plant did not appear to have any! Both are in smaller pots and are relaxing in bright shade. I think I can move them inside by an east window, but I'll have to check the light since those windows are recessed about a foot and will be getting hurricane shutters put on them soon. My south windows get too hot.

They are in a 1-1-1 mix of turface, fir bark and perlite - all sifted and washed.

So now I'll leave them alone and hope for the best!
    Thanks for the help!