Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenjay_gw

Cactus in Bloom, I.D. Help Anyone ?

greenjay
11 years ago

I finally got these little guys to bloom, and, I'm told that when they're in bloom, it's the best time to try for an I.D. , so , here goes...any ideas folks ?

{{gwi:569690}}

{{gwi:569691}}

{{gwi:569692}}

{{gwi:569693}}

{{gwi:569694}}

{{gwi:569697}}

Comments (11)

• rosemariero6
    11 years ago

I'll say Gymnocalycium mihanovichii for the first & Gymnocalycium baldianum for the second. Pretty bloomers, Jay!

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

Where did you get a mihanovichii with chlorophyll?

• greenjay
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Many kind thanks rosemariero6 ! I'm slowly trying to fine out what some of my guys are as I go along....you kind help is greatly appreciated....
    ~Microthrix ~ I acquired it at a local greenhouse/nursery that I haunt regularly....now, forgive this question, lol, what do you mean by " a mihanovichii with chlorophyll?"....lol trying to learn.....

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

The grafted "moon cactus" is a gymnocalycium mihanovichii without chlorophyll which gives it its intense colorful appearance ... but everytime i searcg for one on ebay and-what-not all i get is the grafted ones without chlorophyll ... i have never seen one with chlorophyll

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Microthrix, I've got no less than 10 of them grown from my own seed.... and some flowering.... they're the cutest little things!!!! Some of them are a bit more red because they've been outside in full sun while the others have been in the greenhouse. Sorry, the color is off because I took these pictures as the sun is setting so the temperature of the light is off and I didn't correct the white balance for this.

{{gwi:569698}}

{{gwi:569699}}

{{gwi:569700}}

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

Awww they are so cute! Where did you get the seed? Do they offset like the grafted ones? Or do they grafted ones off set more because they are grafted?

• silenteyesspy
    11 years ago

They are so beautiful =D sorry I don't know anything about those, but I just had to tell you how beautiful they are.

Greg J.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

The seed is my own from my other plants. So these are all "home grown" from start to finish. So far my more mature plants have never had any offsets. I will be taking all of the seedlings to our September sales event so I can make some room in the greenhouse. Sure hope someone thinks they as cute and buys them!!!!

• Kaegen Lau
    11 years ago

I, too have a G. mihanovichii var. friedrichii! I guess they can be hard to distinguish, but I've read that the main difference between the mihanovichii and friedrichii species, is that the former's flower color is yellowish and the other pink. I've also read that the mihanovichii stays very small, and the friedrichii grows to about 4" in diameter.

I have a roughly 2" in diameter specimen, and when I first bought it, it had two offsets at the base. I removed those, and this summer another started at the base. I also get a ton of flower buds to remove! I've been doing this since I got the plant, and it didn't seem to grow any quicker, but I now know I had it in insufficient light. It's now maroon and quickly growing!! Indoor light just doesn't cut it.

Great seedlings!
    When mine gets older, l'll have to grow some of its offshoots!

• Kaegen Lau
    11 years ago

Two more offsets and everlasting flower buds! Oy. :)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Here is a Flower site that you can sheck for extra verification, now or in the future when another cactus blooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cactus bloom site

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor